(12-09-2004) Christmas Joy in Doubt for Chernobyl Children -- New Zealand Herald

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Christmas Joy in Doubt for Chernobyl Children

By CATHERINE FIELD

PARIS - Belarus' children face a heart-breaking end to the year after a threat by the country's authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko to stop youngsters contaminated by the Chernobyl nuclear disaster from making Christmas visits to families in Western Europe.

Around 1500 children, many of them with leukaemia or damaged immune systems, travel each Christmas to Britain, Ireland, France, Germany and other European countries, where they spend up to a month with host families.

The trips are paid by church groups and other goodwill associations, eager to give the youngsters a break from areas of the country poisoned by nuclear fallout.

But this year's Christmas outing and holidays for six thousand more youngsters in 2005 are in peril.

Lukashenko made the threat in a speech to Parliament on November 17 in which he said Chernobyl children who travelled abroad came back indulged and spoilt.

"You must have seen yourselves what happens to our children when they come back from abroad: we've been invaded by consumerism," Lukashenko said. "We don't need that kind of education."

He said children return from foreign trips "completely different people - only in extreme cases should we allow our children to leave the country".

He added that if NGOs and other groups want to provide assistance then "let them transfer funds and have spending controlled from Belarus".

Lukashenko's words triggered dismay, especially in Ireland, where organisations have welcomed Chernobyl youngsters since 1986.

Ireland has sent convoys of trucks to the stricken region, bringing in more than €30 million ($56.3 million) of aid. Its outreach group, the Chernobyl Children's Project, whose patron is Ali Hewson, wife of U2 singer Bono, has 7000 volunteers and 73 associations across the country.

"We are just waiting, watching and applying diplomatic pressure where we can," Simon Walsh, project manager for CCP International, told the Herald.

Irish families are waiting to accept 1000 sickly children this Christmas holiday period.

For a small country, Ireland wields considerable clout within the European Union. Sources say the EU has instructed its diplomats in Belarus to see whether Lukashenko was serious or simply posturing.

Talks were being held in Minsk and Moscow yesterday.

France, Britain and Germany are other countries where Chernobyl groups are anxiously awaiting clarification. Analysts say the President's move appears to be a jab at the EU, which said that a referendum in October that voted to let him stay in office for a third term was a fraud.

CHERNOBYL'S LEGACY

Chernobyl was the world's worst nuclear disaster.

The April 1986 explosion at a nuclear plant in Ukraine spewed wind-borne radioactive debris over more than a fifth of Belarus.

Experts say northerly winds carried at least 70 per cent of the contamination into Belarus.

A 2002 report by the United Nations Development Programme and UN Children's Fund suggests thousands of children will fall sick with thyroid cancer.

--New Zealand Herald

Thanks sue4u2!

Well of course they come back different people, that's the whole point of going abroad...you learn a different perspective, rather than just staying within a certain cultural atmosphere, and in this case, staying in an unhealthly environment.

Plus, I somehow have a feeling that if the funding were controlled by the government, it wouldn't be used for the children.

I was very shocked to read this, as my family has been involved with this charity; we were hosts for a Belarussian children twice while I was growing up. I can honestly say it was as an enriching experience for us as it was for them.
As well as providing a much needed break in otherwise fairly joyless lives, the trips allow the children to see some of the outside world; that the west is not obsessed with consumerism (However fortunate we are) and deep down we are not much different at all. I can only hope that this bodes well for the future and that politicans from former soviet states will not have the sickening attitudes as the current Belerussian President.

Thanks for reading this. If your interested in the charity, I urge you to get involved. Not all charity is based on money.

I would like to find some way to let this deplorable excuse for a human being, Lukashenko, know just how much this is pissing me off. I'll keep searching.
I'm going to the website to see if there is anywhere I can write or email.

http://www.adiccp.org/news/defaultarticle.asp?NID=137&T=N&Print=
:heart:

3425865523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3238%3E73%3A%3E74%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32327%3A497%3A4%3B5nu0mrj

Edited to say: Please excuse my language, but this just fractures my heart. :angry:

Last edited:
There is a currently a travel ban on Lushenko and his officials by the US.( http://www.eubusiness.com/afp/041209024040.jr4h6edk)
WIth that said, I sincerely doubt that it would do any good to send him a letter/ email to his govt but it can't hurt to try. I can't access the main site for his website ( flash blocker at work) but here it is in case someone would plz post the email address.
http://www.president.gov.by/eng/

oktobergirl said:
WTF? That is just preposterous. Is there nothing that we can do for these kids??!

I know :( I wish there was something we could do.

I didn't find an e-mail address, but here is the link to a page where you can fill out a form to send a letter:

http://president.gov.by/eng/president/mail.shtml

I don't what I could say that could persuade him to think differently, his attitude is so off base already.

Please excuse my confusion..but this fraudulent election in Belarus is a totally differrent thing than the current situation in the Ukraine isn't it? Lushenko, Yeskuchenko (sp, I know:eyebrow: )...before I started following the Ukranian situation daily, I really and seriously used to get Belarus and the Ukraine mixed up...thinking Chernobyl was in the Ukraine etc.

I have a copy of "Black Wind, White Land" at home, I have watched it so much I can almost quote chapter and verse..shame on me, I should know better I'm not the typical ignorant Yank:(

This Lushenko is either extremely tee'd off at the West right now becuse HE can;t travel and throwing a childish temper tanturm (isn't ti interesting, how childish dictators seem to be--they allhave a petulant streak running through them..whehter it was Hitler or Sloboden Milosevic or Baby Doc or whoever...

All I can say is: Very foolish of him to take it out on those innocent angels like this. It will all come back to him in the end. God has His own ways and they are not ours. He does not work with our sense of timing. And we may burn for refenge while He watches from above. But you can bet He has His Eye on this guy, and is givng him a chance to repent. ( try to be hopeful.) IF he doesn't..you can be sure God has His own very fitting ways of justice.

Myself? If I were Him? Personally, if he doesn't change his mind, I hope that these children will be in Heaven sooner than he will be in Hell, so that they can have the satisfaction of watching from under the protection of the Almighty as he is sent to his fitting reward.
That's the former "squeaky" in me speaking. :mad:

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

I know :( I wish there was something we could do.

I didn't find an e-mail address, but here is the link to a page where you can fill out a form to send a letter:

http://president.gov.by/eng/president/mail.shtml

I don't what I could say that could persuade him to think differently, his attitude is so off base already.

thanks Kelly, I actually used this link and it worked. Just click "write a letter to the president" it's an online form and takes just a minute to do.

http://president.gov.by/eng/president/priem/

Back
Top Bottom