(12-08-2005) U2 and 5 Grammy Nods - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 and 5 Grammy Nods

As expected, U2 picked up Grammy nods for HTDAAB, "Sometimes" and "City of Blinding Lights" this morning when the nominations were announced in New York. The awards ceremony will take place on Wednesday, Feb. 8 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

HTDAAB yielded a nod in the Album of the Year category opposite Kanye West, Mariah Carey, Paul McCartney and others. HTDAAB was also nominated for Best Rock Album opposite Coldplay, The Stones and others.

"Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" landed a nod in the Song of the Year category opposite Mariah Carey, John Legend and others. "Sometimes" was also nominated in the Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal category opposite tour mates The Killers, Franz Ferdinand and others.

"City Of Blinding Lights" picked up a nod in the Best Rock Song category opposite Bruce Springsteen, Weezer, Foo Fighters and others.

Steve Lillywhite picked up a nod in the Production, Non-Classical category for HTDAAB.

Please note that OOTS was not eligible for consideration for this Grammy term.

The complete Grammy nomination list can be found here.

U2.com has more on the nominations here andhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I felt U2 deserved the "Album of the Year" in 2002 for ATYCLB. I also felt that in 2002, the competition was such that U2 would get the win. However, it didn't happen. This year, with far more challenging competition, I don't see many victories for U2 - even though I feel HTDAAB is a far superior album to ATYCLB.

Well, at least they got the 5 nods! :yes:

Wow, they have some tough competition. I see Kanye stealing the show. Hopefully U2 will pick some up where he's not a factor.

Of course, if it were up to me, U2 would walk away with five more grammies.

Kanye is the obstacle to U2 getting Album of the Year this year. What the band needs to do is invite all the Grammy voters to one of the last five shows of the leg, and give Kanye a really bad sound mix. :wink:

kellyahern said:
I think SYCMIOYO has a good chance for song of the year :)

Not it doesn't!

# We Belong Together - Mariah Carey
# Bless The Broken Road - Rascal Flatts
# Devils & Dust - Bruce Springsteen
# Ordinary People - John Legend
# Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - U2

Mariah will win this one no doubt. WBT was like the biggest single in history well almost. :wink:

"Oh -You- Look- So- Beautiful- Tonight"...Bono will sing that to the audicence at the grammys, and to the world, so for sure City Of Blinding Lights will open the show, it fits extraordinary there:drool:

i Think U2 will win at least 4 of their 5 nominations, including the album of the year, putting their total grammys over 20! thats fucking amazing
:bow:

I would tend to think they won't be winning many awards this year...though I also didn't expect Vertigo to clean up last year, so what do I know? :wink:

that RECORD of the year categorie is a JOKE..a JOKE I tell you...

how can Hollaback Girl be nominated for ANYTHING?

Album of the Year!!!

This is the ONLY category I really want U2 to win. They can loose the rest, but win this and I'll be happy. Tough competition indeed!

I really like Bruce's chances with Devils and Dust in the fields that it qualified. I like Keane for best new artist, but don't think they have a hope in hell. I also love the nod to the Killers for Mr. B and All These Things... .

Arcade Fire!!! - Best Alternative Album!!! & Best Soundtrack Song!!!

U2's only album of the year Grammy - the Joshua Tree. :|

Last edited:
pepokiss said:
that RECORD of the year categorie is a JOKE..a JOKE I tell you...

how can Hollaback Girl be nominated for ANYTHING?

So true.

I sincerely doubt U2 will come out empty handed, but I don't think they'll win all the awards, either. Kanye will probably win best album. As for Coldplay, they'd better not win in any category U2 is nominated in, cuz that's just not right! :wink:

ramblin rose said:
I have a feeling U2 will come up empty handed at this award show.

If they perform there live, then they'll win something.

Put me in the column that would absolutely LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOOOOVE to see the grammy's open up with COBL! :drool: :hyper:

The Grammys have already given U2 3 awards for Vertigo. This time they are giving nominations for 2 other songs, and the best rock album, and album of the year........so this HTDAAB has had 8 nominations! man this academy must be a bunch of idiots if they do not recognize that this is the best album, the 'album of the year' isnt it?
Aren't they praising it all over the place with the nominations?
That is something i didn't get in 2002, when ATYCLB was nominated for 8 grammys, HAD WON ALREADY 3 THE YEAR BEFORE and the fucking " o brother...." won the album of the year
:angry:

Kanye West is probably the reason U2 will win Album of the year.

Coming into the awards, its clear that Mariah Carey has the strongest base of votes. She was nominated in all 3 of the major catagories and has a total of 8 nominations. But, having the biggest base coming into the voting will not alone win you the award. Who your going up against how the competition may draw votes away from you or split other artist votes up benefiting you is often how an artist wins.

Notice that the only rock album nominated for "Album of the Year" is HTDAAB. Stafanni, West, and Carey, while they are grouped as POP, Rap, and R&B essentially draw from the same voter base in terms of style and preference for certain types of music. All three do well with the top 40 crowd. It is likely they will split key votes between them.

If a another "POP" artist or country artist had been nominated, U2 would win hands down. U2's main problem is Paul McCartney and how is nomination may draw people who would have voted for U2 away.

I think it will be close, but HTDAAB will probably come out on top simply because the whole Rock/Hard Rock/Metal vote will be for them. Virtually all of Coldplay's supporters will be voting for U2.

So I say HTDAAB will win! But if it doesn't, it will be because of Paul McCartney's album drawing to many votes away from them.

In the Song of the Year catagory, Mariah Carey will probably win, because the rock vote will definitely be split with Springsteen and U2.

Record of the year will go to Green Day because to many of the top 40 artist are nominated together and Green Day is really the lone rock artist in that catagory.

I predict U2 will sweep the three rock awards it is nominated for. To be nominated for the major awards, you have to have a strong voting base so U2 will probably easily sweep the rock awards.

So U2 should come away with four awards on the night including album of the year!

^Interesting take. It's going to be competitive, no doubt about it. I take these award shows with a grain of salt tho....it's a chance for the stars to dress out and be seen, to schmooze but I don't really care about how many Grammy's or awards they end up with. HTDAAB has been an astronomical success aside from the Vertigo Tour. I wonder if U2 really REALLY care if they win anything for HTDAAB?

Back
Top Bottom