(12-08-2004) Jay-Z, Linkin Bump U2 - RollingStone*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Jay-Z, Linkin Bump U2

First commercial mash-up release debuts at Number One

Jay-Z and Linkin Park took the top spot this week, selling 368,000 copies of their MTV Ultimate Mash-Ups Presents Jay-Z/Linkin Park: Collision Course, according to Nielsen SoundScan. This first-ever commercial "mash-up" release bumped U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb to Number Two (288,000). Last year, both Jay-Z and Linkin scored Number Ones on their own, as the rapper's final solo record, The Black Album, sold 460,000 in just three days, and the rap-metal band's Meteora moved 810,000 in its debut week.

Other big debuts this week include Kelly Clarkson's second effort, Breakaway, which came in at Number Three (250,000), beating out fellow American Idol vet Ruben Studdard's weak sophomore performance -- his I Need an Angel hit the charts at Twenty, selling less than one fourth of his debut. And New York rapper Nas' double-album, Street's Disciple, moved 232,000 to land at Number Five -- a much stronger debut than 2002's God's Son, which opened at Number Eighteen, but went on to sell 1.2 million. Atlanta rapper T.I.'s Urban Legend moved 193,000 copies to open at Number Seven, outselling 2003's Trap Muzik (Four, 109,000), but at a lower spot on the charts.

Eminem's Encore is still selling strong, moving 248,000 copies in its fourth week to take Number Four, and Shania Twain's Greatest Hits holds onto the Top Ten (Six; 109,000). Last month, her 1997 album, Come On Over, reached the twenty million mark to become the best-selling record in country history -- and put her alongside albums from Michael Jackson, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Billy Joel and the Eagles in overall sales.

Another American Idol winner, Fantasia, lost momentum this week, as her debut, Free Yourself, plummeted thirteen spots to Twenty-One (90,000). And Gwen Stefani's solo debut, Love, Angel, Music, Baby, is already out of the Top Ten in its second week, dropping eight places to Number Fifteen (126,000).

Next week will bring a hip-hop chart onslaught, with the release of Ludacris' The Red Light District, Cam'ron's Purple Haze, Slim Thug's Already Platinum and Xzibit's Weapons of Mass Destruction. Teen star Lindsay Lohan's debut, Speak, should also make some chart noise.

This week's Top Ten: Jay-Z and Linkin Park's MTV Ultimate Mash-Ups Presents Jay-Z/Linkin Park: Collision Course; U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb; Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway; Eminem's Encore; Nas' Street's Disciple; Shania Twain's Greatest Hits; T.I.'s Urban Legend; Now That's What I Call Music! 17; Destiny's Child's Destiny Fulfilled; Toby Keith's Greatest Hits 2.

ALEX MAR

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/st...2528860799&has-player=true&version=6.0.8.1024

Ok, so some people will say that this album wasn't strong (not me)...but for heaven sakes, Jay-Z and Linkin Park? :yuck: I guess I'm more out of the loop than I thought. :ohmy:

I'm disgusted but not surprised - Jay-Z and Linkin Park are both huge. And U2 are not really a "young person's" band anymore - Jay and L.P. have a lot more young fans who buy records than U2. Sad but true.

Jay-Z is entertaining, stereotypical rap, but at least entertaining. But Linkin park?! people accuse the cure of being whiny, but they REALLY whine...
I honestly feel that Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and Korn form the Holy Trinity of Sucktitude

But the kids love it and the kids buy most of the records..

I am disgusted by the music that is The Young people's music. Thank god i grew up when u2 were still strying to break through in America. To me that is considered real music to me and still is real music. Even if they did fall to #2, they still made it to number one. :wink: :wink:

mysticchild said:
I am disgusted by the music that is The Young people's music. Thank god i grew up when u2 were still strying to break through in America. To me that is considered real music to me and still is real music. Even if they did fall to #2, they still made it to number one. :wink: :wink:

I totally agree with you. I have been a U2 fan since early 80's. :yes:

I was born in 1985 and U2 has been an integral part of my life since 2000. And I'm proud of it. :wink: The music itself, drums, bass, guitar, and vocals, captures moments of life better than most groups or singers with backup out there.

frozenmuze04 said:
I'm disgusted but not surprised - Jay-Z and Linkin Park are both huge. And U2 are not really a "young person's" band anymore - Jay and L.P. have a lot more young fans who buy records than U2. Sad but true.

U2 sold 840,000 copies in its debut week in the USA, Linkin Park has NEVER sold that many copies of any of its albums in their debut week in the USA. U2 still has the third biggest debut week of the year, so based on those sales alone, it would seem that U2 would have the youngest fans of any artist, although that is not the case with the majority of U2 fans being in their 30s.

Albums always decrease by at least 50% and typically more in their second weeks out of the box.

jet_jaguar72 said:
Jay-Z is entertaining, stereotypical rap, but at least entertaining. But Linkin park?! people accuse the cure of being whiny, but they REALLY whine...
I honestly feel that Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and Korn form the Holy Trinity of Sucktitude

But the kids love it and the kids buy most of the records..

Kids buy the most records in the first week they are released often, but overall, the Babyboom generation still buys the most records and other consumer products for that matter. The Babyboom generation is anyone currently age 40-58 (b. 1946-1964)

STING2 said:

U2 sold 840,000 copies in its debut week in the USA, Linkin Park has NEVER sold that many copies of any of its albums in their debut week in the USA. U2 still has the third biggest debut week of the year, so based on those sales alone, it would seem that U2 would have the youngest fans of any artist, although that is not the case with the majority of U2 fans being in their 30s.

Albums always decrease by at least 50% and typically more in their second weeks out of the box.

Linkin Parks Meteora sold 810,000 its debut week, that's close to 840,000

Peter said:
I always wonder who for god's sake likes that kind of music? :mad:

You'd be surprised. The stuff I hear coming out of car stereos, tvs, and dorm rooms around the university is depressing sometimes. Why would someone want to listen to a song that has the equivalent of "mofo" every other word? Or is just a bunch of screaming and whining? I don't know. It's irritating to me because it seems like music has become like a pair of jeans. People change the style according to what's in fashion, even if it doesn't fit them.

pianorocker said:

It's irritating to me because it seems like music has become like a pair of jeans. People change the style according to what's in fashion, even if it doesn't fit them.

That is so true...brilliant analogy.

Meh...I'm pissed off, but I guess not surprised. The fact that U2 has done so well thus far is good, and album sales oughta spike a bit when it comes closer to Christmas. Because I'm going to buy like 3867 copies of the album to give to people on the streets :D oh if only I could do that...I did buy two copies though, spent $50 total, I feel I did my part.

I like Linkin Park. I've got their two main studio albums and I enjoy listening to their music. I'll freely admit that... but I get tired of Linkin Park. I will never get tired of U2. They transcend statistics and sales figures, television and radio, music as a whole... they're a permanent part of my life. As much angst as Linkin Park can project, a whole album's worth can't compete with a single U2 song in terms of emotion. :sigh: I just wish other kids could see what I see in my boys (yup, they're my father's age and I don't own them, but they're my boys). No other band could EVER come close to U2 in my heart, and Linkin Park is waaaaaay down the line anyway. But, Linkin Park and Jay-Z are popular now, especially with the younger generation... I'm just happy U2 knocked off Eminem. U2 could climb back to #1 again, in fact I bet they will even if it's just for one week. C'mon boys, I believe in ya! :wink:

I generally hate Linkin Park, but that one song they did, 'Breaking the Habit', wasn't so bad. The lead singer is still whiny and annoying, but musically, it was much different from what I'd expect from a band that usually drowns their music in monster crunch power chords and actually has a song called 'Shut Up'.

pianorocker said:

You'd be surprised. The stuff I hear coming out of car stereos, tvs, and dorm rooms around the university is depressing sometimes. Why would someone want to listen to a song that has the equivalent of "mofo" every other word? Or is just a bunch of screaming and whining? I don't know. It's irritating to me because it seems like music has become like a pair of jeans. People change the style according to what's in fashion, even if it doesn't fit them.

This all reminds me of Mike Bolton in OFFICE SPACE, inching to work in his econobox with the Geto Boys blasting.

Charts, graphs, statistics, spreadsheets, market research; this isn't what music should be about. However, sadly, it's the current reality and even U2 are concerned about it and their place in it. But, unlike many bands of today, U2 always made music 1st before consuming themselves with chart dominance.

So before we worry ourselves over some band that's a backstreet boys meets nu-metal rap...with some skinny winey 'BE-ATCH' of a singer (Have Larry kick his boney ass...please!), we should pay more attention to the music that our boys have recently created.

I've heard the comment that U2 have made at least three 'White Albums' thus far (POP, ATYCLB, HTDAAB) because it refers to a lack of continuity or central theme in the material. I feel this may have some validity, but it is certainly not entirely true. Many people (even on this site) have mentioned that the order of the songs doesn't work for them on HTDAAB. It makes sense to me at least after hearing the CD a few times. Hey I love the 'White Album' and if U2 did a double CD -even better!!

As far as the sense of adventure is concerned within the music, I am feeling a bit on edge (no pun intended). Every album from UFF to POP has blown me away with the 1st initial listen. So much in fact that I didn't like those albums with the 1st listen. But I knew there was something within the music that I wanted to discover, so many layers to understand. U2 always surprised me and did the opposite of what I expected them to sound like, yet always believed in their sound with every change.

U2 always took the William Burroughs idea that you cut up the past to make the future. But now it seems that with the age of scanners and photo copiers that U2 ditch the scissors & are content to make a digital copy of their past; with higher resolution and enhanced clarity and introspection.

This is not all bad of course, because for most us; what the band have decided to copy & improve are the version of U2 that the majority of 'believers' & 'non-believers' both like. Hmmm...one could argue that U2 are cutting up their past, but it's more like cooking isn't it? I mean, start with Boy, throw in some JT, a dash of POP, watch the spice..alla Achtung Baby, and whadaya get? That's most of HTDAAB, for me anyway. And, while I love all those sides of U2, I mostly loved them for there sense of adventure; their ability to turn my world upside down.

U2 have definitely grown up. And while Bono sings about time not stealing his innocence, he should heed caution to his own words. U2 haven't become the band we admire by playing it safe.

HTDAAB is a very good album for sure. I think I should mention that! There is energy and vitality and..there is craftsmanship and commitment. U2's focus is now on structure and songwriting technique rather than sonic exploration. And many of the songs on HTDAAB are well composed. There is a bit of something on this album for everyone, and U2 have paid attention to that. There are also 2 songs that show U2 are listening to what's on the radio waves; Vertigo and All Because of You which proves they like The Hives. Man & a Woman has an Interpol like bass groove that Adam would like to school Carlos D. on. And of course, there's the overall sense that U2 love the Clash & Frank Sinatra while driving their sonic train to the opera.

I love this band, they've always meant the world to me, and I do like the new music. I just hope they don't lose the suspense, the adventure. Most of all, I hope they have a couple of great albums left in them.

And if they don't- They've already given us music that has changed our lives forever!!!

There is one very interesting fact that many people may have forgotten, but I'mnot surprised. Hot Press magazine (Dublin) is the only one who mentioned it at the time.

A big factor in U2's seeming lack of musical direction and coherence (there are many other factors, which I discuss at length in the John Waters review thread somewhere here in the News area) may be the untimely death, in 1997 or '98, of a man named Bill Graham. Not to be confused with the man who founded Bill Graham Productions, the famous concert agency in the U.S. This was a totally different guy. He just may have been, besides Paul McGuiness, THE most important "power behind the throne" in the U2 camp over the yrs.

Not many people know much about him. At least he isn't discussed much in the media, and the band have only brought him up at length to Hot Press over the yrs. I happen to live in an area where we get Hot Press in the local bookstores, even though I'm a Yank. So I've read it for a while.

It seems that ever since the late 80's, U2 had a shadowy, little-mentioned but VERY influencial "musical advisor". I forget what Bill was--a music historian or professor or if he was ever in band or what. But he was a veritable walking musical encyclopedia with a brilliant mind and a fantastic record collection, and ears like sponges; he was, for the decade 1985-95 or so, THE man the band turned to to "beef things up" whenever they wanted fresh new ideas. I forgot how they met him. For example, when the band told him that they wanted to explore American roots music on their next album, (which became JT), Graham was the one who brought them the BB King albums and old gospel stuff and introduced them to Leadbelly, "Lady Day", Jelly Roll Morton, etc. He found them allthese acts they'd never heard of. And not only that. He also not only introduced them to groupa, the band used to have long "bull" sessions with him in which he showed them how these musical strains interlocked, how one insired the other, etc. it was like going to Music College. Brian Eno may have been their "public" music teacher, but this guys' influence was far more deep and subtle. And unlike Brian, he was like a sponge, with a much more comprehensive depth of knowledge. he used to suggest ways to interweave ideas and organize the new materialinto a coherent whole. I remember reading the Hot Press article that had Bill's obit. He died young, in his mid 50s, and his death was quite sudden. The band was devestated and said they'd miss Bill more than they would ever know. They even indicated that their music would never be the same, and he could never br replaced.

So what the band hve been consciously trying to do ever since Pop, in bringing in all these producers in so many fields of sound, from Flood to Danny lanois and Brian Eno, to Jackknife Lee, etc, is trying to surround themselves with a variety of people to replacate the experience they had with Bill. But all these people have never been able to replicate Bill's brilliance in packaging it into one coherent piece. Sadly, the band's prediction that nobody would be able to replace him has proven true.

Last edited:
c'mon linkin park isn't that bad. their songs "numb" and "breaking the habit" are actually good. just because they beat U2 for a week doesn't mean everyone has to hate them. at least it wasn't someone like avril lavigne or good charlotte. my gods people.

I do like Linkin Park myself. I listen to their stuff. It has no comparison to U2 because to me it's different!!

U2 IS A LOVE AFFAIR and Linkin Park is just a passing phase.

I have younger siblings that are in there late teens and early 20's and they like that type of nu-metal, rap, hip hop stuff. I even took them to a Linkin Park concert!!! I hated it!!!! The show itself was interesting because I've never been to that type of concert but the kids there were crazy!!! Would not do it again!! :no:

Anyway I'm not concerned about the boys being #2. They will sell more records as time goes on. They will be okay!!:up:

OK HOLD ON!

Does anyone have sales info from U2's last few albums, specifically ATYCLB? I know that their debut week was TWICE as successful as ATYCLB in 2000, and I bet their second week then wasn't near 288,000 either! If anyone has it please help me out.

U2 had one of their biggest debut weeks EVER 25 years into their careeer. So they got topped by two other popular acts. Who cares? U2 is on top of the world, if you're asking me.

JeffD

PinkHairBaby said:
c'mon linkin park isn't that bad. their songs "numb" and "breaking the habit" are actually good. just because they beat U2 for a week doesn't mean everyone has to hate them. at least it wasn't someone like avril lavigne or good charlotte. my gods people.

Totally agree!

Don't be such haters :rolleyes:

TheFly7 said:
OK HOLD ON!

Does anyone have sales info from U2's last few albums, specifically ATYCLB? I know that their debut week was TWICE as successful as ATYCLB in 2000, and I bet their second week then wasn't near 288,000 either! If anyone has it please help me out.

With thanks to Doctorwho (who has compiled this information) here is the sales info for ATYCLB:
Here are the first 19 U.S. chart positions for ATYLCB:

3-5-12-22-23-24-20-18-22-16
19-19-25-33-37-35-11-15-25

Sales for those weeks (rounded to nearest thousand):

428,000 + 176,000 + 119,000 + 125,000 + 100,000 + 113,000 + 154,000 + 259,000 + 108,000 + 66,000
+ 59,000 + 57,000 + 47,000 + 44,000 + 41,000 + 49,000 + 85,000 + 74,000 + 55,000

Back
Top Bottom