(12-04-2007) Bono: New U2 album will be extraordinary* - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > 'Zine (archived) > U2 News
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2007, 09:00 PM   #41
The Fly

Local Time: 05:08 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I'm not going to expect to much this time, though! I wish Bono would stop talking about how he and U2 are so punk rock. In my opinion, U2's music has held no resemblance to punk rock for a while now. It is funny to me that Bono only started talking constantly about how punk rock he was when U2's music became almost the antithesis of punk rock (ATYCLB, HDAB). I'm not sure what this means...

mystery girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:48 AM   #42
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mystery girl
Hmmm, interesting. I'm not going to expect to much this time, though! I wish Bono would stop talking about how he and U2 are so punk rock. In my opinion, U2's music has held no resemblance to punk rock for a while now. It is funny to me that Bono only started talking constantly about how punk rock he was when U2's music became almost the antithesis of punk rock (ATYCLB, HDAB). I'm not sure what this means...
Wow, I agree with you as well. I was talking with a friend about the "punk rock" thing. U2 were post-punk/new wave in their early days. They were never punk. He recently said Spiderman was going to have a punk rock score. I don't get it...I guess he thinks it sounds cool.

I love U2, but the recent stuff has been weak enough to make my 20 year obsession with the band wobble...

PS: Get Lanois' new CD!!! Awesome...

mobonofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #43
The Fly

Here's to less sap and more rock.
dj_tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #44
War Child

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RavenBlue
The thought of U2 taking on metal seriously intrigues me
C'mon now. I doubt Bono's talking about "metal" as it refers to a brand of music. He speaks in abstract. It's just the way he talks. He's used chimes and bells and crystal and china and paint and color and Venus to describe Edge's sound in the past.

So in this instance, when he says "molten metal", I imagine it to more like actual molten metal: thick, flowing, chunky, searing, and sizzling. And nothing at all like, say, Anthrax.
LPU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

I can't wait until the new album comes out!
verte76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Bono's made similar statements about new albums in the past. Metal? A double album would be great.
verte76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #47
Babyface

Local Time: 12:08 AM
We'll see...

I'm a U2 fan, so I'll like it no matter what. But what will it be? It sounds like it could be a "Physical Graffiti" kind of thing. Some people have compared them to Led Zeppelin since around 1985 - not for their style, but in regard to their role in contemporary music, and changing sound from one album to the next while remaining distinctly U2.

HTDAAB was supposed to be a punk record. Bono said during the time that when they were 20 years-old they wanted to do something more like the Clash, but didn't know how. So this would be an album more like what they would have done if they could. Of course, that isn't really what HTDAAB was, although I liked it very much. It was too dynamic to be punk, and that will always be the case with U2.

While they may have been heavily influenced by simple rock bands like the Clash, Rolling Stones and Joy Division, their songwriting is more like Led Zeppelin, late Beatles and David Bowie. They are prog-rock writers with punk rock hearts. Maybe it's punkressive rock.

This will only be the third studio album in 9 years, first in four, so I think we're all ready for it.

ssviland is offline   Reply With Quote