(12-01-2004) U2 Bump Eminem to Top Charts -- RollingStone.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Bump Eminem to Top Charts

U2 claimed the Number One spot this week with "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." The album moved 840,000 copies to far outsell the debut week of its predecessor, 2000's "All That You Can't Leave Behind" (428,000). The mega-band bumped EMINEM -- who had a strong third week performance of 471,000 units sold -- to Number Two. NO DOUBT frontwoman GWEN STEFANI's solo debut, "Love, Angel, Music, Baby," took the Seven spot (309,000), while "American Idol" winner FANTASIA's first effort, "Free Yourself," opened at Number Eight (240,000).

--RollingStone.com

Hard to read straightfoward news like that.

Where's the fair and balanced reporting like Fox suggesting the album hasn't met the expectations of selling, oh, 1 billion copies in week one??

Hooray! This is the sort of news that always excites me, yet draws eye-rolling remarks of "who cares" from my non-U2 loving associates...

...the same folks who, inevitably, drive across state to cheer on their favorite sports team.

And never quite make the connection.

My understanding - and I could be wrong - is that the sales of 840,000 combine ALL forms of the album as well as online sales (e.g. from Amazon) and downloads (iTunes). However, the iTunes sales only count if you download the entire album, not the songs individually.

Again, I could be wrong - but usually if the formats aren't combined, they are listed separately. Of course, most people probably bought the regular 11-track CD as the Deluxe and Special Edition versions were more expensive and not as abundant. So clearly that version dominated sales anyway.

An excerpt from a earlier post made in the "Peeling off those dollar bills" forum. I knew it! Heads will roll at FOX over this!

So, at this rate, FOX will have to retract their earlier, premature report. They should be forced to name their source (I heard he lives in Texas and hates U2) and then someone should get fired for such shameful reporting.

Back
Top Bottom