(11-29-2004) Notes on 'U2 Makes A Video' - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Notes on 'U2 Makes A Video'

The delayed and rumored-to-not-even-exist "Making the Video" for "Vertigo" has finally begun truly airing on MTV and MTV2. In case you haven't caught it yet, here is a recap of the episode:

*The video was shot in L'Ebre, Spain with directors Alex & Martin (famous for the innovative "Seven Nation Army" video from The White Stripes.") Final mixing took place in Paris with 12 graphists in three weeks, which is short for a major music video.

*The band and video crew dealt with rain, hurricane strength winds (unclear if the winds were from nature or for the video)

*The Edge humorously examines his ripped clothing

*Band worked with Alex & Martin to get a "fresh perspective" on video-making

*"There aren't any real bands out there..." says Larry Mullen, Jr.

*"I've got to get to a place in the song where I believe myself," said Bono of his performance in the video

*Adam Clayton hints that other videos U2 has done left their "heads spinning." Possible a crack at the CGI-friendly clip for "Elevation" directed by Joseph Khan.

*Bono states that, "the measure of the album we just made will be how many of these songs we play live. Right now there's not one I want to leave out."

*If there was a way to not tour around the world, Mullen guarantees he "would take it," but does feel the album's 11 songs are reason enough to take time away from one's family.

*Bono likes being in the company of U2's audience and that in concert is where they "truly live."

*Working with Alex & Martin "feels very fresh to us," according to Clayton.

*Bono thinks U2 are "larger than life," without the CGI effects of the "Vertigo" video but likes the effects anyway.

To watch "U2 Makes a Video" - make sure to check your local MTV and MTV2 listings.

I tuned in early this morning (12:30) just to see if it was actually going to air. It did. I missed the first few minutes but it was great. :up: Lots of comments by the guys and technical info (not too much however) on the graphics and the time involved putting it all together. Interesting to say the least and great shots of the guys :bono: :edge: :larry: :adam: :heart:

I was very dissapointed that the beautiful video was not on the DVD-single (I rather thought that was the point of DVD-singles)

Instead the rather boring HQ that's also on the albums accompanying DVD.

Does anyone know if there is any plans to release the video?
thanks

matt76 said:

My Digi Guide.com has it down as on tomorrow at 14:30.

Time - 14:30 to 15:00 (30 minutes long).
When - Wednesday 1st December on MTV UK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(U2) U2: Making The Video.

The Sky Digital planner doesn't have it down though....:huh:

I caught the show purely by chance the other night. I thought it was interesting -- well worth a look -- but I was also a bit bored by the end. Let's face it: the show is a PR fluff piece, with the band saying how great everything is with the band, how great the directors are, how great the new album is, how great the tour is going to be, how great it is performing together...great, great, great. The only dissention was at the beginning, when Edge said what a bummer it was that the weather was so cold where they were shooting. All of this wouldn't have been so bad except that I had to sit through three different five-minute commercial breaks so MTV can fill their coffers. At least they showed the full video at the end. It is pretty brilliant; too bad it's not on the DVD.

This kinda sucks. I missed it and can't find when it will be re-aired. There is a listing on for Thursday morning on my TIVO (actually comcast dvr) but it has a 2001 date, so I assume that is for Beautiful Day.

TV guide.com says nothing, the MTV site is worthless, and I can't find it listed anywhere else.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom