(11-24-2004) U2 Opens With Big Sales -- FMQB*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Opens With Big Sales

It was an impressive opening day of sales for U2's new CD, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." One day reports from retailers showed the CD could be trending towards 900,000 sold for the week. Here is the number of units sold as reported by various retailers: Best Buy - 100,000; Target - 61,000; Circuit City - 32,000; Andersons - 20,000; Tower Records - 13,000.

Meanwhile, Eminem's Encore held on to the top slot, scanning 871,000 copies in its second week of release. Em debuted at #1 last week after only being in stores for three days. While many releases tend to dip in sales, it was another impressive week for Mr. Slim Shady and the music industry as releases from Destiny's Child, Lil' Jon & The East Side Boyz, Clay Aiken, Shania Twain, Snoop Dogg, Toby Keith, Usher and Chingy powered music sales, helping the Top 10 CDs to generate sales of more than 100,000 copies each, which is a notable accomplishment.

--FMQB

Big numbers are nice, but us fans know that the music is what counts. U2 succeeded in their big marketing campaign, especially with the "tease" that was Vertigo. The rest of the album is a whole other amazing world.

Later, Paul

I did my commercial effort. I bought 11 cd's for gifts and 2 limited editions for me! One to use one to keep unwrapped~
Remember this is a prerfect album to send to a music fan that never took the time to REALLY listen to U2!

Jono said:
I did my commercial effort. I bought 11 cd's for gifts and 2 limited editions for me! One to use one to keep unwrapped~
Remember this is a prerfect album to send to a music fan that never took the time to REALLY listen to U2!

11 CDs and two special editions?! hot damn that's a lot of money :ohmy: I've been U2's unofficial sales rep, literally telling everyone I see to buy the new album. I actually do plan to buy some as gifts for the Christmas season, and I may burn teaser CDs with like 2 or 3 songs to get people interested...

Eminem hasn't even hit 900,000 quite yet, and his album has been out for TWO weeks...if U2 could hit 900,000 in the first week that'd be fantastic. They deserve all the credit they can get for this brilliant piece of work.

I've only bought 2 but I'm making sure the rest of my family and friends know that u2 have there album out. Just to make me shut up they will buy the album!:yes: :yes: :D

AtomicBono said:

Eminem hasn't even hit 900,000 quite yet, and his album has been out for TWO weeks...if U2 could hit 900,000 in the first week that'd be fantastic. They deserve all the credit they can get for this brilliant piece of work.

No, no, no... you misread.

Eminem sold nearly 900,000 copies (per SoundScan) just last week. The week prior, he sold over 700,000 copies - and that was from just 3 days!! His album was released early on a Friday and SoundScan tracks through Sunday, so that was a lot of sales for 3 days!

Em's new album has sold 1.6M in 10 days, about the same number as his last album. So Em is still serious competition.

But if U2's HTDAAB really pulls off sales of 700,000+ this week, that should be enough to give them a #1 debut.

I know there's more to music than sales, but I'd love to see U2 on top this time around. :love:

Tech said:
I've only bought 2 but I'm making sure the rest of my family and friends know that u2 have there album out. Just to make me shut up they will buy the album!:yes: :yes: :D

the same for me!!

Question: how's possible to like Eminem so much?

and we're still waiting here.... so far the record stores here give an estimate of 1 wk for the shipment to arrive here.

ONE WEEK!! ??AND THREE YEARS WAS ALREADY LIKE ETERNITY.

:huh: :huh: :drool:

desire25 said:
and we're still waiting here.... so far the record stores here give an estimate of 1 wk for the shipment to arrive here.

ONE WEEK!! ??AND THREE YEARS WAS ALREADY LIKE ETERNITY.

:huh: :huh: :drool:

Relax! When you'll hear it, you'll know the wait was worth it!

great idea to have the bomb as a christmas gift!!

2nd Day sales

Any word on 2nd day sales?

The album will sell a million copies this week. It already has sold 226,000 copies on the first day at the big chain stores. This does not include the thousands of other places to purchase CD's. And of course the Friday of Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day of the year so it is going to be an enormous week fro the lads.

FYI, I am so sick of these fanatical fans criticizing every single thing. How many bands can be relevant after 25 years? I will answer it for you - NONE! It is a great album and why can't people just enjoy it.

Achtung Baby is an incredible album - maybe the greatest of the last 25 years but this album ranks very highly.

PLEASE STANDBY FOR TRANSMISSION:THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN U2 AND EMENEM IS U2 DID'NT STEAL IDEAS FROM WIERD AL YANKOVICH!!!!!PEACE, ROCKMEISTER

Back
Top Bottom