(11-21-2005) Bono Says His Music Will Last 100 Years - ABC News*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Says His Music Will Last 100 Years

Bono Says His Activism Will Be Forgotten but His Music Will Still Be Around in 100 Years

NEW YORK Nov 21, 2005 — Bono says he'd rather be remembered for his music than his activism.

A dedicated lobbyist for the world's poor and AIDS-stricken, the U2 frontman told CBS' "60 Minutes" that "I think my work the activism will be forgotten.

"And I hope it will. Because I hope those problems will have gone away," he said in an interview that aired Sunday.

Since 1999, Bono has helped persuade Republicans and Democrats, presidents and lawmakers, to provide millions to help end the scourge of AIDS, eliminate poverty in Africa and forgive Third World debt.

The Irish rocker also predicted that his music will still be around in 100 years, explaining that his songs occupy "an emotional terrain that didn't exist before our group did."

And Bono said he has no intention of slowing down. He noted that people in rock 'n roll burn out at age 40, and said he wanted to see if his band could continue making "extraordinary" music.

"You know I'm still hungry," said the 45-year-old winner of 14 Grammy awards. "I still want a lot out of music."

On the Net:
http://www.u2.com/

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1332871

I think my children will have no chance not listening to U2, and so their children will have. ;)

"an emotional terrain that didn't exist before our group did."
:up:
This band will go down as the greatest band to ever hit the universe, the best ever:bow:

They are the BEST!!!! But I feel like most of the critics and people don't seem to admit that they are greater than The Rolling Stones.... for example.... IMO:reject:

I think for the people the Rolling Stones exist isnce the 1960ies, so they must be the greatest.

I don't think so. :)
I like the Rolling Stones, most of it, but U2 is much better :)

Am I the only one that thinks that it is wrong for Bono to praise his music?

Don't get me wrong, I love U2 and agree 100% with what he said, but this kind of comment should come from an outside source, not from the band members themselves.

I see nothing wrong with one praising their own music. Why shouldn't someone be proud enough of their own work to give it praise? Now if he were constantly doing it and being a real jerk about it than maybe I would feel differently.

" But I feel like most of the critics and people don't seem to admit that they are greater than The Rolling Stones.... for example.... IMO"
The thing is that they were the first great bands to hit, before them there was NOTHING, and know as music is so diverse, getting the atention as they got in their era is a lot harder, not to say impossible...
The 'influential' ,'inmortal' 'legend' factors is another thing that pushes critics and people to say that, The Stones have been described with these adjectives since a long time ago, but i tell you, i dont think that at their peak of their games these bands were considered as good as U2 are now, and not even considering that they have 25 years of magical music behind them...

I think its time know for Bono to start the hype about U2 being the best ever
:applaud: :up:

Note to ABC NEWS, U2 have WON 17 GRAMMY awards, not 14!

It's not like Bono is just praising himself. He's praising the music the band makes together.

But yes, it does sound a little bit conceited for the band members to say that - even if it does happen to be true.

Awwww Nube :hug: U2's music does tend to have that powerful effect a lot when you listen to their music. I could just keep listening their songs over and over and never get tired of it. They really do fill you with emotions!

yes Bonosbaby12:hug:
its the emotional terrain and the spiritual effect of their music
Its absolute Heaven on Earth:angel:
And im totally addicted to this feeling, and addiction ive been enjoying for like 17 years ago
Its an amazing thing to find people who can feel the same kind of emotion and magic for something
Thanks for being here:up:
:wave:

STING2 said:
Note to ABC NEWS, U2 have WON 17 GRAMMY awards, not 14!

But "60 Minutes" is on CBS, not ABC. I guess it's good to notifiy all the major networks of this. ;)

I haven't seen the interview yet, but as I read this quote, it definitely is a classic example of the (in)famous ego often attributed to Bono. Many times people - at least those of us on here - scream, "What ego?" But it's there, it's been there for quite a while. We just don't always see it any more - perhaps we've grown to used to it.

What ego?

He's always spoken highly of the band and their music. Unlike some bands, they have the catalogue and the fame of their live shows to back it up.

BEVERLY56 said:
I don't think it's ego - just fact! They make damn great music and many of them are classics!

Got that right! To be honest it completely amazes me with just how down to earth he is. So many people in Bono's status develop huge egos and think they are better than others. Don't even begin to see this with any of the U2 band members. Their music made a huge mark years ago and continues to do so today.

"You know I'm still hungry," said the 45-year-old winner of 14 Grammy awards. "I still want a lot out of music."

This is gold for my pockets.............................................

Back
Top Bottom