(11-20-2006) Not so great? - Pipex*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Not so great?

Oasis and U2 go head-to-head this week in one of the biggest chart battles of the year.

The rock titans are both releasing "greatest hits" records with 'Stop The Clocks' and 'U218 Singles' set to become massive sellers in the run-up to Christmas.

However, the decision to release the albums has caused controversy among hardcore fans of the groups, many of whom feel the releases are cynical ploys to make money in the Christmas market.

Many Oasis fans were particularly upset to hear that the Gallaghers were releasing a 'Best Of' set because they'd sworn never to do so before they split up.

However, Vincent Liaw, webmaster of the OasisFanatic website, explains the band's record company forced their hand.

"Initially we thought Noel was just trying to make more money off his fans," he says.

"Then we realised Sony wanted this album out so the band had to do something to make it right."

However, Vincent reckons many of the band's biggest fans feel "ripped off" by the release, which features no new tracks.

"I do feel ripped off just like many others do," he added.

"We can put together the same tracks on these greatest hits CDs ourselves. In fact, we might not agree with official track listing of the greatest hits and we could easily create one by compiling the MP3s in our MP3 players.

"Furthermore, we thought they would include the song 'Stop the Clocks' but it was not meant to be on this album. So we're paying for the same old songs we already own anyway."

Many U2 fans feel similarly cheated by the release of 'U218' because the band have already released two singles collections - including a compilation of nineties hits just four years ago.

Devlin Smith, of leading U2 fan site Interference, said: "A lot of fans on the board think it's too soon and are questioning the band's motives.

"The other end of the spectrum is excited for the two new tracks and to have a U2 present under the tree again this year.

"Even the fans who are looking forward to this collection, though, would rather have the band hold off on another collection for the time being and release an anthology a little down the road.

"A lot of fans would also rather have a definitive live collection than another singles collection, especially since U2 hasn't released a truly live album in more than 20 years ('Rattle and Hum,' in my mind, doesn't count as a live album)."

But despite a sense that they are being exploited by record companies, it seems the hardcore fans of both groups will still spend their cash on the releases anyway.

"The hardcore fans will simply buy this album to add to their Oasis CD collection," adds Vincent.

"This greatest hits CD will also be a good introduction to Oasis for people who are new to Oasis."

Devlin agrees, saying fans will "definitely" buy the new U2 LP.

"I think even the ones who are calling U2 "sell outs" and such will have to have this," she adds.

"Hardcore U2 fans are rabid, completist collectors and I can't imagine too many won't pick this up either to have the new song or just round out their collection."

The decision to release Best Of compilations has been interpreted in some quarters as an admission that the best days of both bands are behind them, but Devlin doesn't think this is the last we'll see of U2.

"U2 isn't a band you can easily guess at. The only people who know what's next for U2 are Adam, Bono, Edge and Larry, and I doubt even they are 100 per cent sure of anything.

"I'd like to think that this is the band's way of refreshing itself and getting ready for the next stage, and it could very well be.

"With this band, it's best not to expect anything because there's always a chance this could be the last album, last tour.

"I don't think this collection means the band is over because every recent interview indicates that all the guys are pumped up and completely excited about being U2 right now.

"As a fan, I want to believe the guys truly are "on fire" (a classic Bonoism) and that whatever they're working on next will blow their past work away."

Vincent expects similarly great things from Oasis.

"Since they call these songs your greatest hits of your last 10 years or so, they need to work harder to create better songs for their next 10 years.

"I do believe Oasis' best is yet to come."

So while the records have caused controversy among fans, it seems the supporters of both groups will still be backing their heroes in this week's chart battle.

http://www.pipex.com/pipex/story/0,17019,8957_1702319,00.html

"So we're paying for the same old songs we already own anyway."

For goodness sake you don't have to pay anything! If you don't want it don't buy it. At least with the U2 album you get 2 new songs, and possibly extras, with the Oasis if you have all the songs then there is no advantage at all in buying it. Stop moaning!

It's like complaining that because you have Definitely Maybe you don't want to buy Definitely Maybe because you have it already. Then don't!

Here they are all complaining that stores are now allowed on some Sundays, also three Sundays in December, with the same words. They put it as if they had to go shopping on Sundays.

But you are free to decide when to buy something, and what to buy.

Hilarious argumentation sometimes.

Balfron said:
"So we're paying for the same old songs we already own anyway."

For goodness sake you don't have to pay anything! If you don't want it don't buy it.

People seem to forget that simple logic.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
u2.com is also screwing me because they're offering a gift along with their unneccesary, not forced to buy it if ya don't want it membership.

:ohmy: :shocked: :grumpy: :rant: :madwife:

How dare U2.com give you something if you actually subscribe to their website again?!?! Have they no morals?!?! What's next? Interference charging to be a premium member so we can post and look at pictures and have no limitations on our membership?!?!? How dare they?!

doctorwho said:

:ohmy: :shocked: :grumpy: :rant: :madwife:

How dare U2.com give you something if you actually subscribe to their website again?!?! Have they no morals?!?! What's next? Interference charging to be a premium member so we can post and look at pictures and have no limitations on our membership?!?!? How dare they?!

Elvis is such a greedy bastard. :mad:

I'm teasing, Elvis, I love you, you are a golden god, please don't fire me, Happy Thanksgiving.

If you look at these best of's as attempts at money grabs, Oasis is being more kind to it's fans than is U2 because by not having anything new on the cd there is little or no incentive to purchase it (if you're whining because you are the person who "has" to buy the album simply because it is a "new" Oasis [or any other artist] album you get no pity from me). U2 is encouraging it's fans to buy their new best of by adding a couple new songs, and that, to me anyway is a bit more irritating.

Nevertheless, neither band is "making" anyone buy the damned things no matter how intense or hardcore a fan. Buy either (or both) if you want to, don't buy either if you don't. I don't see any issue.

No new songs vs 2 new songs and a 10 song DVD from the tour on what are probably both label/contract obligatory Best of.

:hmm: Hard to see which is worse, indeed.

(wasn't Masterplan technically Oasis's first Best of? Those were B-sides but still...)

Last edited:
I read that Noel initially wished to release a second B-Sides compilation rather than a "Best-Of," but, as stated in the article, opted for the latter simply to get out of Oasis' record contract. Masterplan was strong enough that it seemed to play like a greatest hits; I'll never understand why some of those songs were not album tracks.

Back
Top Bottom