(11-20-2004) Propaganda Back in Business? -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Propaganda Back in Business?

Several Interference.com members have gotten the following letter from U2 World Service about the rebirth of an official U2 fan club. The letter is below. Stay tuned to Interference.com and U2.com for updates.

Dear Propaganda subscribers,

It's no secret that with the success of U2.com over the past four years, Propaganda, the band's official magazine, has appeared less and less frequently.

The net has become the best way to communicate quickly and directly with U2's audience.

As a ground-breaking band magazine, for two decades Propaganda offered a unique inside-track on what U2 were up to - exclusive interviews, unseen photos, rare CD releases and, of course, the chance to guarantee purchase of concert tickets!

We have been working on creating that same experience online and this month U2.com is set to relaunch with a 'Members Only' area which will give subscribers access to an enormous range of exclusive U2 content.

When launched to the public, subscriptions to U2.com will be $40 p.a. but because you were a subscriber to Propaganda and may have part of your subscription unfilfilled, you may join U2.com for $20 for the next twelve months.

A subscription to this area via your personalized "u2.comID Card" will bring you immediate online access to what the band are up to. (See the list of subscription benefits below.)

Of course U2.com will also continue to bring you up to date news of the band, as it does at present on a free subscription basis.

Best wishes and hanks for your support of Propaganda down the years.

Propaganda and U2.com

Subscription benefits:

Here's what U2.com "members only" subscribers will receive:

- Priority ticketing for the 2005 tour available for purchase through U2.com.
- A special introductory gift.
- A U2.com e-mail address (e.g. steve@U2.com) with a web-based mail service like hotmail.
- Exclusive band stories, features and other online content, including on-the-road reports and diaries when the tour kicks off in the Spring.
- Full length audio and video streams and downloads of new U2 material as well as rare and unseen material from the past.
- Access to all archived U2.com news, including Propaganda features over 20 years.
- New mobile phone content, along with innovative applications like screen savers and digital tools.
- 'Members-Only' message boards and discussion forums within the revamped Zootopia along with a regular newsletter email to keep you up to speed with band and site.
- 25% discount on your first purchase from the U2 Online Store.

Thanks reggiethedawg!

Last edited:
What a crap, i only received 2 propagandas for the 60 pounds or so, so i still owe some more, and than i have to pay even more to visit the website. U2 truely has become a marketing machine! Do they really need the money? Btw I havent found anything yet on the doormat.:scratch:

I can't remember how many issues you were garanteed, was it 3 or 4?
oh and is the $20 offer availible to any subscriber of Prop or just to those who have outstanding issues?

Last edited:
This is really a load of bull. I'm NOT happy about this...really should have given their fan base at least a year free.

They've been sitting on our money all of this time and now we have to fork over MORE?? in order to receive our benefits??? That wasn't part of the agreement when we signed up.

For sure, Propaganda membership numbers and receipts have been a cash cow for the band...and now you eliminate a hard printed copy and save a lot of money by getting rid of a mail based ticket system (people on the receving end keeping track and stuffing envelopes). This lower costs and increases revenue. That's equals more money for their pockets.

Ticketmaster will more than happily eat and handle this for free in order to maintain their deal with the band.

Interference.com blows away anything that I've even seen on U2.com. Why don't they buy you guys a new server????

Anybody know what the current Propaganda membership numbers are? 50,000 members maybe? Less? Maybe a lot more? So they held onto $2,000,000.00???? (based on 50,000 x $40.00 (original membership price) for the past four years...they did nothing!!!!!!!!!! (no magazines, no tickets, no Christmas cards)...and they invested the money I assume...it returned 5%-10% annually...it surely got some type of return. And NOW asking us for another $20.00????? THEY WANT (what amounts to them) ANOTHER MILLION DOLLARS?????

They're thinking that the annual INTEREST from the new money will basically pay for annual income one employee to run what is now left of Propaganda. Makes financial sense for them.

Wake up people.....I love U2 but we are getting screwed and tattoed here....

Agree with Kiwi..." what exactly is "priority ticketing"?

Anybody know who to contact about this? I just sent Terri at Prop. an email but I don't even know if that's remotely valid anymore, and I didn't see a contact at u2.com. How do we find out if our old Prop membership is going to be transfered?

Thanks! :D

SD

What an absolute crock. How much "hard earned" $$$$$$$$ is enough, U2?? They are now in the gouging stage of their career. This is something the Rolling Stones would do.

Anyone who signed up in 2001/02 around the Elevation tour has 1 - *maybe 2* - issues to date in 3+ years. The fans should get a break for the magazine being poory run/organized...at least a year free to the website.

girlwcrimsonnls said:
I can't remember how many issues you were garanteed, was it 3 or 4?
oh and is the $20 offer availible to any subscriber of Prop or just to those who have outstanding issues?

I have had membership with Propaganda since 1995. You got 4 issues for $20.00. After getting the 4th issue, I would renew my membership.

Great!!!

Hopefully my membership has some credit remaining, but if it doesn't, my $40 are spent as soon as I can. The money I spent for Propaganda membership was the best money I ever spent. If I got nothing but the live Mexico cd, I would have been happy with the return for my money. The floor tickets I got through the club for shows in Milwaukee and Chicago were an awesome benefit. If I just get the ability to get tickets through the membership, the money will be well spent. As far as I was concerned, the actual magazines were the least important aspect of the club.

I only received two issues, but if this means I only have to pay $20 or so for the new deal, plus still get access to great tckets like I did the last time, so be it.

Btw, when the Stones went on their 40 Licks tour two years ago, membership to their website was something upwards to $100, so we shouldn't really complain. And I highly, highly doubt that threre will be $300 seats for this U2 tour.

I think I finished my subscription with the last magazine we got. I've been getting them since the Achtung Baby era so I have no complaints!! Yeah it's gonna suck coughing up $40 but hey your bound to use them for some other crap you really don't need right? Anyway I hope I get some kind of letter telling me of my status.

for all you complainers and whiners out there about this thing being a 'marketing' stint.... just think.. regarding the tour tickets... these aren't scalper prices.. so quit your bickering!

Last edited:
jesseu2 said:
for all you complainers and whiners out there about this thing being a 'marketing' stint.... just think.. regarding the tour tickets... these aren't scalper prices.. so quit your bickering!

yeh yeh, its just about the crappy thinking at propaganda, i mean they just should hang on the contract you got. So 4 issues and if it isnt possible just notify your members (which didnt happen) and find a reasonable alternative, and when trying contacting them no one answers anymore. Just robbery, no other word for it:huh: . When U2 is able to organize a worldtour it wont be too hard to get a well working fanclub, it just lacks input.

danielconway said:
This is really a load of bull. I'm NOT happy about this...really should have given their fan base at least a year free.

They've been sitting on our money all of this time and now we have to fork over MORE?? in order to receive our benefits??? That wasn't part of the agreement when we signed up.

Wake up people.....I love U2 but we are getting screwed and tattoed here....

I agree completely...one year free subscription would have been the least you could expect...I'm very dissapointed about that development. And very curious to see wether my repeated mails to propaganda concerning me moving houses have been received and entered into their systems

Anyone in the UK recieved one of these letters? I wasn't lucky enough to be a subscriber to propaganda the first time round but would love to take advantage of some sort of official U2 fan club this time round and am just wondering how much it'll cost me in pound sterling??

Wjat if you are a emember of the U2.com mailing list alreasy, but maybe yr Prop subscription ran out? Does that count as being a emember since this is run thru U2.com? Or will I have to pay the $40?

I have been a Prop member since 1987... (Sounds like the intro to a self-help group circle) During Achtung, tickets purchased through the mag were amazing...6th row center at Dodger's Statium for three nights in a row... 1st row center in SF. All this without waiting in lines or paying a cent about face price. For the Pop tour, I got tickets closer to mid-way back on the floor. For Elevation, it was shyte GA seats because I fell for the package deal, which included meeting other idiot fans in a fake Irish bar and then busing to the Arena (which ment being too late to get anywhere near the heart). I renewed my subcription 4 years ago and I have since received only 1 edition since. No notice, no explanation. No letter such as the above. Love U2, but I won't fall for this again...
:madspit:

The biggest question here is how many tickets are they gonna allot us? Only 4 for the Elevation tour, and that ain't nearly enough...as far as paying $20-40 for membership...who cares as long as it gets you tickets....

The problems that I have:

- From experience on other "priority ticket" internet sites -- it is always very difficult to get through. I just trust a person on the other end opening envelopes a lot more that the randomness of the web. Great that we are (hopefully) getting tickets but lets remember that we are still paying for them.

- Money is still money - even though $20 is not a lot - it might be to some people. And really it's about THE POWER OF ACCUMULATION...the more money you have, the more it compounds, the more it accumulates...they've held onto our money, it has grown for them. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with them asking for MORE -- to me it's pushing the envelope and smells of GREED.

- An original agreement is actually a contract, isn't it???

Don't be evil.

Well, the website is still lame, with no mention of a Members Only area. I guess we are banking on it to be there tomorrow hand in hand with the US album release? My figers are crossed. I am hoping to see them as much as possible this time around. Does anyone have an idea of whether or not I will have a chance to see them in Dublin, or is it usually impossible to attend?

Mike

I am very excited about this. The benefit of getting better tickets is worth it alone. During the Elevation tour, I saw U2 in Detroit and was literally in the last row. Surprisingly, it was still awesome! The closest I got was during Popmart on Halloween on Larry's birthday, 13th row, WOW! Maybe U2 could offer high quality downloads of the show you saw on their premium site -- at no extra charge. :) That'd be sweet!

Nate

I paid the $40 today on U2.com. If I get tickets without the hassles of waiting in line and risking getting shutout, it is worth it. If I get screwed and I just get the "chance" to get tickets, I will not be happy. If anyone gets any more info about it, please post it.

Back
Top Bottom