(11-17-2004) Mom vs. Me -- New Times*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Mom vs. Me

BY ROB HARVILLA

Let it be known that I do not take the release of a new U2 album -- or the public disparaging of same -- lightly. Harsh personal experience taught me this lesson. For after writing a few discouraging words about the band's last record, All That You Can't Leave Behind, I received hate mail. From my mother.
"I suppose we can't expect much from a writer whose favorite bands while growing up included Hall & Oates, M.C. Hammer, and yes, even Vanilla Ice," Mom wrote in a published Letter to the Editor. "But it's particularly disturbing to me, since I bought Rob's very first concert ticket. At the age of 14, he went to see U2 and thought they were 'the bomb. '"

Four issues:

1. I was totally into Hüsker Dü.

2. "The bomb" is a blatant misquote. I most likely pronounced the show "sweet."

3. My first concert was the Monkees. Weird Al opened.

4. Time, distance, and the Slow Dawn of Reason have redeemed me: All That You Can't Leave Behind sucked.

Sorry, Ma, but Ireland's finest burdened one megaton-transcendent single ("Beautiful Day") with ten awkward, flailing whiffs at the piñata of beauty, poignancy, and cultural relevance. But the piñata exploded of its own accord on 9/11, when America fired up an urgent Batsignal calling for Bands That Matter, and Bono, with his American-flag jackets and poignant, nudity-free Super Bowl halftime shows, gladly acquiesced to Save the World. C-R-O-C-K.

Thus, the triumphant arrival of next week's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, a far superior but still somewhat middling effort that highlights U2's diminishing skills.

No way I'm strolling through this minefield alone again, though. This time, someone's coming with me to co-review.

"This is truly great stuff!" Mom writes. "You know how I feel about U2: I'm biased. There isn't a single track that I would skip through. It was good for the soul to hear from Bono again."

(To give you an idea of her specific U2 bias, she broke her Bomb critique down track by track, and each one began the same way: "Bono still has it going on.")

She's right, though, at least on "Vertigo," which Ma boldly predicts will be "a top ten hit." This ubiquitous iTunes shill is as brash and unhinged and Dude, turn it up, dude a song as this fat 'n' happy pack of Rock God lifers could ever hope for. "Miracle Drug" trumps it even, Bono loosing the first of several bumblingly earnest lines -- "Freedom has a scent/Like the top of a newborn baby's head" -- before the band immediately buries it in one of those monolithic, blood-freezing blowout choruses that remain solely U2's province. Mocking this band is great, great fun, but when the planets align, its dominance is unquestionable.

"This one speaks to your soul," Mom concurs. "It's a sweet ballad."

Ah, but sweet ballads are precisely what U2 now lacks. "Miracle Drug" is great, but those who wistfully dream of another "One" or "With or Without You" are left without once more. "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" at least manages a dynamic shift (mournful guitar, Bono's somber eulogy croon), but U2 is hell-bent on pounding out as many mid-tempo, somber-but-optimistic self-help VH1 rock numbers as space and time will allow, and Bomb's second half is loaded with well-meaning but well-worn vanilla lullabies.

Mrs. Harvilla disagrees, striking a common refrain: "soulful." Take the distinctly Coldplayian "A Man and a Woman," for example. "Bono still has it going on," Mom writes. "Again, he speaks to my soul with this one."

"Love and Peace or Else" also earned soulful status, with the Edge -- whose still-glorious master of the delay pedal qualifies him to bear (or sire) your children -- unleashing some guitar-effects squalls to balance out Bono's "Where is the love?" pleadings. "Hard-driving and edgy," Ma declares. "This is very soulful, topical, creative stuff."

But she saved her loftiest praise for Bomb's closer, "Yahweh," a fine eagles-soaring-over-the-gorgeous-countryside affair. "Bono truly does still have it going on! I loved this. It's a beautiful, touching prayer of a song. Classic Bono U2." (This from someone with typical "red state" values.)

Bomb isn't entirely swoony mom stuff -- the eight-car garage rock of "All Because of You" won't reinduce vertigo but might make you slightly dizzy. And when the house lights go down a few months from now at Oakland Arena and U2 bursts on-stage to the mashed-potatoes-for-the-soul strains of "City of Blinding Lights," your fist will invariably pump along to the amped-up chorus: "Oh! You! Look! So! Beau-ti-ful tonight!"

Mom's fist certainly will: "When I tried to come up with something interesting to say about each track, the same adjectives kept popping up: Classic U2, Passionate, Soulful, Hard-Driving, Edgy (no pun intended)."

Bomb, though not entirely the bomb, is evidently soulful enough to squeak by.

--New Times

haha, I like this review! Didn't care too much for his attitude toward the album (but to be fair, I have yet to hear it myself), but atleast he was bold enough to give an honest declaration of the album without the fear of backlash from his readers and peers :up:

dsmith2904 said:
Mom vs. Me

4. Time, distance, and the Slow Dawn of Reason have redeemed me: All That You Can't Leave Behind sucked.

Sorry, Ma, but Ireland's finest burdened one megaton-transcendent single ("Beautiful Day") with ten awkward, flailing whiffs at the piñata of beauty, poignancy, and cultural relevance. But the piñata exploded of its own accord on 9/11, when America fired up an urgent Batsignal calling for Bands That Matter, and Bono, with his American-flag jackets and poignant, nudity-free Super Bowl halftime shows, gladly acquiesced to Save the World. C-R-O-C-K.

LOL

Perhaps Rob should inform himself on how well ATYCLB was doing until the end of 2000, and the BD Grammies (9/11 did not "make" that album, believe it or not). Or try to find some ATYCLB reviews.

Catman said:
haha, I like this review! Didn't care too much for his attitude toward the album (but to be fair, I have yet to hear it myself), but atleast he was bold enough to give an honest declaration of the album without the fear of backlash from his readers and peers :up:

Amen!

I may not agree with this guy, but at least this is a REAL review, in contrast to that bland, Rolling Stone piece of tripe.

Well, he's right. "Freedom has a scent/Like the top of a newborn baby's head" really is a terrible line.

All in all, if you can get past the wiseassery, it's a pretty positive review.

that is a funny article.
my mom burned the Bomb off my computer without even asking.
i didn't even know she knew how to do that.
she listens to it everyday in the car.
she likes it more than i do!
her favorite song is COBL.
moms who love U2 rule :applaud:

He's so wrong:

"Freedom has a scent/Like the top of a newborn baby's head"

It's a brilliant line. Really gives hope an identity.

Rob is a loser. Rob's mom, on the other hand, is awesome. I encounter this a lot. I talk about U2 or whatever and people will be like "oh, you like THEM? they're old... my mom listens to them" and I'm like "Dude, can I hang out with your mom? Your mom rules." and they're just kinda like :eyebrow:

:sigh: kids these days, wouldn't know good music if it came up to them in leather pants and awesome shades and kicked them with a platform shoe.

strannix said:
Well, he's right. "Freedom has a scent/Like the top of a newborn baby's head" really is a terrible line.

Bono is all about the down to Earth, easy to understand, always relevant analogies! Effective communication is simple communication, and Bono is a damn effective communicator! Nuff said.

For anyone who criticises ATYCLB as a one hit album (“Beautiful Day”), I ask, “Have you not listened to ‘Elevation’, ‘Walk On’, ‘Kite’, ‘Wild Honey’, ‘When I Look At The World’, ‘New York’, or the rest of the album, asshole?”

Arguably, ATYCLB is U2’s second best album (The Joshua Tree will always remain an insurmountable giant)! However, second best or not, it is definitely among their best! Had REM released ATYCLB, I doubt as much unwarranted criticism to it would have been said. People expect too much from U2, but at the same time, they don't accept enough from U2.

Rob's mom is terrific and quite perceptive, and hopefully she can someday rescue him from the depths of cynicism to which he has sunk. :wink:

Last edited:
Hi everyone. So far i have heard 3 songs from the new album. I have to say, i like it very much. I have been a fan since 84 and i still am. Rob, hun, your first concert were the Monkees, that doesn't say much about your taste in music. I would be embarassed to reveal that if i were you. thank God, i am not and god bless U2 Amen! :wink:

Well, it seems fashionable between music critics (who will become a music critic anyway ? Someone who is a faillure as a musician, some would say, well, sometimes YES others NO) to criticize albums that are good. ATYCLB is an excellent album, and, you have to be deaf in order to deny it. Kite is so powerful and heartbraking that it leaves you wondering about a lot of life related subjects, every time I hear it I know I do. ordinary music can't do that, can't even get close to that.

Personally, I won't take into consideration any reviews of the new album before I get my copy and listen to it.

Music is not made for critics, is made to talk to people's innerselves, if it does, success, if it doesn't, faillure, it is really simple as that.

JRoberto

Last edited:
Maybe Rob's Mom is biased, but Rob speaks some truth. This is a "safer" album - but so was JT, IMO. As for "ballads", I'm *glad* we don't have another "With or Without You". One was enough, thanks. Speaking of "One", that song is perhaps the pinnacle of U2's career in songwriting. It'll be tough for them or any other band to top that. The song is just that powerful.

We go to HTDAAB. The one complaint that many, including myself, had about ATYCLB is that it lacked more "rocking" songs. HTDAAB makes up for that in spades. Furthermore, these rocking songs have depth and meaning. I've always enjoyed "Elevation" - found it a great song. However I know most fans found the "mole in a hole" line amongst some of Bono's poorest work. We don't have that on HTDAAB. In fact, I feel we have some of Bono's strongest song-writing since AB. JT had moments of strong writing, and moments of horrendous weakness, including the beloved "With or Without You". In contrast HTDAAB is far more consistent, eloquent and heart-wrenching.

Rob's mom's comment about this being classic U2 and classic Bono is right - and perhaps that is a weakness. But then, should wasn't "War" just a polishing of the sounds on "Boy"? Wasn't JT a polishing of the songs on UF? This isn't unique to U2.

Therefore, Rob should focus. Judge the album for the album. Yes, it's tough to ignore the band's past - but I can think of many songs on those "classic" albums that lack the soul, power and beauty from those on ATYCLB and HTDAAB - the same albums Rob says showcase U2's "declining ability". :rolleyes:

Rob sounds like one of those people who knows that U2 is awesome, but for some reason want to fight that reality and try to belittle them with petty mocking. Do you know anyone like that? It's almost as if they're jealous; maybe because their favorite band isn't as popular or something?

Please, people - you can tell Rob admires U2 if you read the review closely. Sure, his language is a little blunt, but he hardly sounds like a jealous hater. ATYCLB just wasn't his cup of tea, and even though he kind of likes HTDAAB, he still thinks U2 is capable of doing better. Is it some kind of crime to not blindly worship everything U2 does?

Back
Top Bottom