(11-15-2004) Bono sees off young pretender to 'Band Aid' line - Ireland Online*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This story sure doesn't cast Bono in a good light....

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3617
Band Aid Hit By Bickering Bono

Daily Mail, November 15, 2004

Matthew Bayley and Clemmie Moodie

It was meant to be a re-creation of one of pop's finest moments, where the cream of the British music scene came together in the name of charity.

Instead it turned into a ego-fuelled squabble between one of rock's elder statesmen and a flashy would-be young pretender.

The 20th anniversary of Band Aid was hit by an alleged row involving U2's lead singer Bono and Justin Hawkins of the Darkness over the new recording of "Do They Know It's Christmas?"

Hawkins had been given the task of singing one of the most famous lines -- "Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you" -- originally sung by Bono, who did not attend yesterday's recording.

Insiders said Hawkins did so with aplomb, leaving Bono's contribution to the project, which he had recorded in Ireland, apparently in doubt.

But last night an angry Bono was said to be on his way to the U.K. to re-record the line, after his management insisted his version had to be included, even if it was only the performance from 1984.

"Bono's people say he definitely has to do that line," said one insider. "Justin's version was brilliant, but they are adamant."

Hawkins said last night: "I did it and I did it better than him. So, his management kicked up a stink. It obviously means a lot to him. It's a valuable line for him, he needs it, so I think he's going to fly back and try again to beat me.

"If not, they're going to use the original one he did when he was my age."

It is not the only controversy prompted by the new recording. Sir Paul McCartney, who plays bass guitar on the song, was banned from singing because he was too old, and artist Damien Hirst's CD cover had to be scrapped because it was too disturbing.

Yesterday only Band Aid founders Sir Bob Geldof and Midge Ure were present from the 1984 line-up as a new generation of pop stars recorded the song at Sir George Martin's studio in Hamp-stead, North London.

Among them were Will Young, Jamelia, Ms Dynamite, Rachel Stevens, Natasha Bedingfield, the Sugababes, Busted, Katie Melua, Damon Albarn, Lemar, Coldplay's Chris Martin and Travis singer Fran Healy. Robbie Williams and Did had aleardy recorded their lyrics.

Sir Bob whose daughter Pixie was wearing the "Feed the World" T-shirt her father wore at the 1984 recording session was keen to impress upon the young stars the importance of what they were doing.

He is said to have reduced many of them to tears by showing them a video of the Ethiopian famine 20 years ago.

Band Aid 20, which will raise money for famine relief in the Darfur region of Sudan, will be released on November 29 and is expected to be the Christmas number one single.

The original song, which featured stars including George Michael and Duran Duran, raised GBP 8million.

Some of the stars on the new version were not even born when the original was made. Soul singer Joss Stone, 17, admitted she had never heard of Geldof -- and later referred to him as Bob Gandalf.

© Associated Newspapers Ltd., 2004.

Michael Griffiths said:
This story sure doesn't cast Bono in a good light....

Yes, but the negative comments have all come from Justin. He's the only one who thinks he sang the line better. Midge Ure has stated his version was "too flippant" and bordering on becoming a parady of the original. From the articles I've read about this project, it seems a shame this guy was allowed to participate. I'd be cringing if he were part of any project I was involved with. He's turned something that was supposed to be postitive and hopeful, a single for a charity, into a mud flinging disgrace.

Okay, I'm really confused now. I thought they were planning on having Bono re-record the line all along , so I'm really confused about why they had this other guy come in....? Uhhh. This is getting weirder and weirder all the time.

And they didn't want Paul McCartney to sing on the track because he's "too old?" Wow. That's cold. ><

Holey Moley, am I out of it.

In 1984, I knew every artist that sang on the original track. They were very popular artists in both the U.K. and the U.S. In fact, Bono was one of the "lesser known" artists at the time! :ohmy:

Now, 20 years later, I only know a fraction of the names. Chris Martin, Dido, Will Young, Bono and Robbie Williams!! Is this because I'm really out of the loop or because U.K. artists aren't as popular in the U.S. as they once were?

Of course Bono should sing his line, damn right! The line WAS sung with Bono in mind. I remember Bob Geldof saying it when that record came out originally and it definitely does seem to be Justin Hawkins who is the one who is being bloody childish about all this, going: 'i can sing it better than you!' Will the Darkness be around in 20 years anyway? Repeating what some of you have said, Bono has more than proved his worth with his HUGE efforts in helping in the fight against poverty and AIDS in Africa.

I'm not buying this whole Bono ego-trip thing for a minute. Does anyone honestly think either Bono or Principal Management would do something so boneheaded as to raise a stink like this? Talk about a PR nightmare! I'm guessing Ure just didn't like the way Hawkins sang the line and called Bono in to re-record the line (although I'm not sure why he didn't just use the version Bono originally recorded).

Oh, yeah, and I'm totally buying them dissing a legend like Paul McCartney by telling him he was "too old" to sing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It seems to be controversy for controversy's sake regarding these allegations at Bono, can you really imagine Bob Geldof putting up with this kind of crap from anyone?

From XFM News:

"Top Story: Band Aid 20 Recording Takes Place

As for Bono’s famous line “Well tonight, thank God its them, instead of you” the U2 singer had previously re-recorded at a session earlier in the week as family commitments meant he was unable to be in London on the Sunday. However following technical problems and numerous people (including Justin Hawkins) all attempted to re-create the line, it was decided to use Bono’s original vocal take from the 1984 version of the single.

However as the artists began to file out of the studio at around 7.00pm it was announced that Bono would be flying back to London especially to re-do his part. Which he did, eventually arriving in the studio at 9.00pm direct from Heathrow, to sing a gentler version of the famous line, saying "Rather than that raw, I just tried it more of a whisper tonight."

From BBC Radio 1 News:

"Bono said last week that he was going to be recording it again but yesterday afternoon Justin from the Darkness claimed that his version was favourite to make it on to the single:

"Bono did one, he did the whole song and sent it through and said that he didn't feel that he'd done that line to the best of his ability."

"So I did it and did it better than him."

"I think he's going to fly back and try again, to try and beat me. If not they are going to use the original one from 20 years ago, when he was my age."

Bono did fly back, late last night to re-record the line and told us he's changed it slightly:

"It's the big line, 'Tonight, thank God it's them instead of you'."

"Rather than that roar, I just tried it more of a whisper tonight."

There was also an interview with Midge Ure on BBC Wiltshire where he basically said that he wasn't sure that anyone but Bono should sing that "famous" line, though he did insist that he should give it a try himself ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. I'm willing to bet this is a lot closer to what really happened than that sensationalistic crap in the Globe and Mail.

Note to Justin Hawkins: trying to make a career out of imitating Freddie Mercury is a risky proposition at best.

Ure said: “We’re very lucky that it is a great song for a great cause. I think the best thing about the Justin/Bono thing is just go out and buy it and find out for yourself.”

I THINK THIS IS THE GOOD THING THAT WILL COME OUT OF THIS.

FREE PUBLICITY FOR THE NEW SINGLE!!

I'm a huge U2 fan, I think that The Darkness is cool (in a "Gay AC/DC but they prefer a Straight Queen" sort of way) but I can totally picture Justin's ego and how he would sing it:

Ure said it was a “very Darkness version” which “may have been perceived as a little too flippant"

This is not what this song needs, this is not "Get Your Hands Off of My Woman Motherfucker," this is serious and Bono has a right to "GET IT RIGHT" (as did everyone else who tried to sing that line apperently).

I agree with CIGAR:

"But you know very well,that there's alot of people who think that Bono has an ego larger than life...think of what some of his detractors will say about this,reading this story."

Listen, those people will say that anyway. Bono does have an ego and he's the first to admit it!! "To all accusations of being pretentious... guilty your honor" ---Bono on Radio 1

This ain't a big deal, those who want to burn Bono (like Henry "I wish I still had a cool band" Rollins) will do it with or without this.

If anything, this will give the single for publicity and that can only be a good thing!

I also agree that Bono might not be able to sing it the same way he did 20 years ago (how many singers can sing the exact same way 20 years later?? Pavarotti can't even do that!), but I think that the soul Bono will put into it will make up for that!

"Can't sing but I've got soul!"

'nuff said!

Last edited:
This is all such bullshit and I think that any statement that Bono makes about "just f*** off* is just the fustration from everyone that can - put's a microphone in his face and ask him about it. He probably has nothing at all aganist Justin Hawkins, but the fact that contactnews started running this earlier this month after Hawkins just mentioned he would like to do this line. Not that he was GOING too. That's not to say he hasn't enjoyed the publicity and I don't know what his motives are, but this was not suppose to be this way.
Honestly, there was no question as too whether Bono would do his famous line or not, but "contactnews" made it their mission to put it out there for all the world to jump on, and they did. Or at the very least they made it much more controversial than it really was.
The other news agencies (Yahoo, AP and even Rueters - picked up on it and took it even further which made contactnews have to "sensationalize it" even more.

This is all Bullocks people simply because Bono is so high profile..

I wish I could tell you how many bullshit emails I have received from contactnews. It's amounted to being spam since the 2nd week of Nov.
Don't worry it's only going to get worse.
From what I remember from a BBC article in Oct. Bono was alway's going to do his original line. Period.
Matter of fact I think this so called "flight to record, has been set up and scheduled from the beginning. It was just simply one of the many appointment's of Bono's busy schedule.

Just believe half of what you read and doubt the rest.

to me it seems like Justin demanded that he recorded the line with Midge(midge appears to be the softer touch) Then SIR Bob Geldof walks into the room and starts some kind of rant but wanting to keep bono in it.
it strikes me as odd to say the least that principle kicked up a fuss about it. How would they know that Justin had tryed out the line, when they are in Dublin (presumably) with Bono
I'm appalled that they left Paul McCartney out.
He has been involved with alot of charitable causes such as 46664, landmines, breast cancer, animal rights,
(ok 2 out of 4 are africa related, but i bet that is more than Justin is likely to support)
judging by the amount of lines Justin got, it seemed like he wanted to make it
*****Justin Hawkins featuring Band Aid 20*****
:mad:

You know I probably think that second article is more accurate - several people tried that line, Bono tried it - but wasn't satisfied are did another take.
Now Hawkins is crying foul because it turns out Bono's re-take convinced Ure. What a baby.

Last edited:
Bono's singing that line... It's about justice....

I read he changed the interpretation -- now he whispers -- dunno if it's true!

For as far as we CAN know (media isnt always that right), it seems that Justin Hawkins only participates for his own benefits. He sings some other lines too, so why claiming Bonos line as well?

After all he is one of the few singers that actively has his heart into the Africa problems. Others just follow him in my opinion, he is the leader in this matters.
It really shows that JH is very short minded and very disrespecting of someone thats so much bigger than him and his hair:eyebrow: .

believer75 said:

Uhmmmmm......whatever, dude. Do you really think Justin Hawkins should be singing this line instead of Bono?? What has Justin Hawkins done for you lately?

Anyway, why didn't they ask Simon LeBon, Noel Gallagher, Thom Yorke to be a part of this? I think the song needed more star power, IMO.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Kiwi said:
For as far as we CAN know (media isnt always that right), it seems that Justin Hawkins only participates for his own benefits. He sings some other lines too, so why claiming Bonos line as well?

After all he is one of the few singers that actively has his heart into the Africa problems. Others just follow him in my opinion, he is the leader in this matters.
It really shows that JH is very short minded and very disrespecting of someone thats so much bigger than him and his hair:eyebrow: .

don't be so hard on JH -- I don't like wither his music, or his voice/ (exaggereted) falsetto.

Bono's reaction was great, as usual. He knows how to get RESPECT!

I don't see it as an ego trip at all...he was just getting there to get the job done and that is all! Bono's a busy man, esp. with the album coming out, and, like someone said, it's not like he just flew in from Tahiti to do the line.

On a different note.......could they not get anyone better than the Sugababes?

Cigar said:
Bono shouldn't be bigger than the song itself.He didn't wrote that line.It doesn't belong to him.If Hawkins did a better vocal performance than him,so be it.

This ego trip incident will backfire at him big time,next time he's gonna open his mouth talking about Africa.He just lost total credibility today as spokeperson for this cause.

...what a shame...

i think that was a bit off. After Live Aid, Bono went to Ethiopia with his wife as volunteers for a month. Even before that, Bono and his pals have long been known for their advocacies. Hawkins has yet to show any major act like what Bono did. For him to say that he did a better version would be self-serving. There's a lot to this famous line than just singing it. Maybe if Hawkins could at least equal Bono's work, then he may start talking this way. But as it is, he's got a lot of catching up to do. And I dont think that earning the right to sing the line again, could draw negatives for Bono. Nevertheless, he would still continue what he has been doing for Africa and for his other advocacies. Just my opinion.

Hello everyone, Bonjour, Buon giorno,Guten Tag. First of all I would like to correct the section where she says that David Bowie did the intro, "Feed The world". It was Holly Johnson back in 84. He was actually on the phone and Bob Geldof was taping the conversation. I bought the making of the song on video back then. Well anyway, I am interested to hear the way it is now.:wink:

Originally posted by Cigar
Bono shouldn't be bigger than the song itself.He didn't wrote that line.It doesn't belong to him.If Hawkins did a better vocal performance than him,so be it.

This ego trip incident will backfire at him big time,next time he's gonna open his mouth talking about Africa.He just lost total credibility today as spokeperson for this cause.

...what a shame... Hun, before you write a response , what is the line " That he didn't wrote"! What the hell is wrote? Do you mean didn't Write? Learn to spell right before you make a judgement like that!:madspit:

mysticchild said:
Originally posted by Cigar

...what a shame... Hun, before you write a response , what is the line " That he didn't wrote"! What the hell is wrote? Do you mean didn't Write? Learn to spell right before you make a judgement like that!:madspit:

Sorry for the mistspell.English isn't my first language,i'm french canadian from Montreal.I'm trying my best to type proper english.I didn't thought it was a problem for the folks here to have fans who english isn't their first language of communication.

lady luck said:

don't be so hard on JH -- I don't like wither his music, or his voice/ (exaggereted) falsetto.

Bono's reaction was great, as usual. He knows how to get RESPECT!

I didnt try to be as hard as possible, but want to be as objective as possible about the news that came out, which made me conclude this. But he i might be wrong because the media always tend to hype up things as you will know.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom