(11-14-2005) Could Bono Be 'Man of the Year'? -- Associated Press*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Could Bono Be "Man of the Year"?

NEW YORK--With a month to go before the selection, Time Magazine managing editor Jim Kelly says there are five or six candidates for its Person of the Year.

But the leading contender for the distinction among a panel of notables Time invited in wasn't a person, but a storm: Hurricane Katrina.

Other possibilities include Bono, the U2 lead singer and activist; and the terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

Still, Time's managing editor says all those choices could be thrown out if there's another big story before the year ends.

--Associated Press

Would love to see Bono get the title for all of his hard work and dedication. By the way not to sound dumb but why would a terrorist be considered for man of the year? Realize terrorism is a huge problem but I don't see giving these people the attention they want.

BonosBaby12 said:
Would love to see Bono get the title for all of his hard work and dedication. By the way not to sound dumb but why would a terrorist be considered for man of the year? Realize terrorism is a huge problem but I don't see giving these people the attention they want.

Man of the Year award is more about the person who had the greatest impact, whether it be negative or positive for the rest of the world. I believe Time named Hitler man of the year back in the 1930s or 1940s.

I see where they're coming from, but A HURRICANE IS NOT A PERSON!:mad:

At least Bono is being mentioned. It's kind of funny to think he's now taking on hurricanes. :wink:

Time magazine voted George Bush last year as Man of the Year. Before that it was bin Laden. It's obviously a "newsmakers" title as opposed to someone that is changing the world for the better.

*cancels subscription*

The Time Person of the Year doesn't have to be someone good. The way I think it works is, they pick the person or thing or trend that simply made the biggest impact over the yr. Hitler was a Time POTY.

And in 1995 or 6, one of those years, it was "Computer of the Year." The Internet got the honor.

Back
Top Bottom