(11-13-2006) Bono, Trying to Throw His Arms Around the World - The New York Times*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono, Trying to Throw His Arms Around the World

By TOM ZELLER Jr.

PRECISELY 22 years ago this month, on the occasion of “the Irish band U2” playing a sold-out show at Radio City Music Hall in New York, the band’s lead singer, 24 years old at the time, stopped to chat with a critic from The New York Times.

Paul (Bono Vox) Hewson, as the article called him, was trying to explain that although the proceeds from the show were being donated to Amnesty International, he shunned “the condescending thing of being a singer-prophet leading the mass.”

“I think that’s a misuse of the stage,” Mr. Hewson said. “How can you be the spokesman for a generation if you’ve got nothing to say other than ‘Help!’ ”

That mixture of passion and self-contradiction might have been telling. Bono’s rock stardom — cemented a year later with U2’s appearance at Live Aid, the epic exercise in rock ’n’ roll fund-raising — has been eclipsed by the very empire of advocacy organizations he helped create to do, he now says, what simple fund-raising never could. As a co-founder or principal in a collection of nonprofit, commercial or hybrid entities aimed at tackling poverty, AIDS and debt relief primarily in Africa, and by making expedient alliances — with corporate players like Gap and Armani, or with conservative politicians like Jesse Helms — Bono has become the face of fusion philanthropy.

There’s a method to the mission. The four pillars of the Bono activism conglomerate — the lobbying groups DATA and ONE, the clothing line EDUN and, most recently, the (Product) RED brands — are meant to tweak and motivate change at different levels of the developed world’s social, economic and political systems. That way, barriers to advancement in poor countries can be removed.

The model has earned him high praise. He has been a Nobel Prize nominee. He was one of Time magazine’s Persons of the Year, along with Bill and Melinda Gates. His supporters even lobbied — unrealistically — to have him installed as president of the World Bank.

Throw in the rise of the “U2charist,” in which some Episcopalian congregations have taken to celebrating the liturgy by using U2’s music and what some consider its message of “global reconciliation, justice for the poor and oppressed, and the importance of caring for your neighbor” (snipurl.com/U2charist), and the canonization of Paul Hewson appears complete.

That kind of beneficent overexposure, of course, is bound to draw exasperation. Exhibit one: the appearance in March of the Web site Eliminatebono.com, home of GONE: The Campaign to Make Bono History, an impudent retort to the singer’s project ONE: The Campaign to Make Poverty History (one.org).

But not every complaint is pure sour grapes.

Labor groups were quick to point out, for example, that Gap — a key partner in Bono’s (Product) RED campaign, which drafts corporate sponsors to contribute profits on RED products to fight disease in Africa — has a reputation for running sweatshops in developing countries.

(Product) RED and Gap representatives have countered that the clothing company has made strides in cleaning up its act, and that the factories manufacturing clothes for (Product) RED were not sweatshops. But Charles Kernaghan, the director of the National Labor Committee for Worker and Human Rights, said he was not convinced.

“Bono cannot be so naïve to think that the conditions in the factories he tours remain the same when he isn’t there,” Mr. Kernaghan said.

Other groups have raised questions about the ability to access and inspect the factories that generate EDUN’s own fair-trade clothing line, even though the company has been vetted by Verité, a nonprofit auditor. And investments by Bono’s private equity firm, Elevation Partners, in video game titles like “Mercenaries 2: World in Flames” and “Destroy All Humans” have resulted in complaints that the rock star is singing from both sides of his mouth.

Bono reflected on his humanitarian efforts — and on the complaints — in a call this month from Brisbane, Australia, where, as it happened, a small group of international activists was planning to demonstrate at U2’s concerts because, they said, “Mercenaries 2” simulates violent military action in Venezuela.

“I have to tell you, the things that come up when you’re in this band,” Bono said. “I mean, some of it of course is real and substantial — and people have genuine fears and concerns. But some of it is just barking mad.

“I’ve come to a place where I realize that there is something obnoxious about a spoiled rotten rock star in a photograph with a vulnerable child taken by a dreadful disease. But that’s who I am and that’s who they are. And I’m doing my best.”

James Freed contributed reporting for this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/13/us/13bono.html?ref=music

And investments by Bono’s private equity firm, Elevation Partners, in video game titles like “Mercenaries 2: World in Flames” and “Destroy All Humans” have resulted in complaints that the rock star is singing from both sides of his mouth.

Although I know Bono is doing the best he can and is doing awsome eye opening work, I don't like the involvement in the video game arena.

:(

All I can say is that when there is a more effective person in this world who can mobilize the millions of people that Bono has to begin the long journey to make poverty history in our world, then I'll start criticizing Bono's endeavors on behalf of the world's poor.

While all of Bono's efforts are not perfect (he would be the first to say this), they have produced TANGIBLY POSITIVE RESULTS in the countries in Africa that have been targeted by his efforts through DATA, ONE, EDUN and RED. :yes:

To criticize someone's sincere efforts to help others and to try to denigrate the positive results that those efforts have for some of the world's poorest people is simply a cheap shot and is detrimental to the programs that are helping hundreds of thousands of people in Africa.

As a person who volunteers with a local humanitarian organization in my community that helps to fund activities for HIV/AIDS affected people in Lesotho (the small impoverished African country where EDUN's and RED's are located), I can tell you that Bono's efforts ARE MAKING A BIG DIFFERENCE FOR GOOD in the lives of these people.

I bet that they would have a different opinion of Bono's efforts in Africa than the writer of this article. :up:

:bonodrum:

Why is it that we have so much respect for artists who write/sing/paint about injustice, but the minute they actually DO something about it....

People who DO are fully aware that they're putting a bigass target on their backs. I have so much respect for them because they know this, and yet they continue.

I have no respect for those who take the easy potshots at the target.

JCOSTER said:
And investments by Bono’s private equity firm, Elevation Partners, in video game titles like “Mercenaries 2: World in Flames” and “Destroy All Humans” have resulted in complaints that the rock star is singing from both sides of his mouth.

Although I know Bono is doing the best he can and is doing awsome eye opening work, I don't like the involvement in the video game arena.

:(

You have to realize "investment" and outright support of something.

Bono's firm makes investments. They have one goal - to make money. Now they don't have to believe in everything they invest in, they just have to believe it will turn a profit. It's just as likely that this investment firm has pulled out support for these video games and gone elsewhere only because the profit margin is higher there.

It's like with a 401K plan. Those who have a 401K know that we get to choose the type of plan and some of how we invest. During rough times, we can go with a money market. During bull times, we can be more risky and invest in technology. When the market shifts, we may shift. The same is true for Bono's investment company.

Tell me, let's say you don't support big oil companies - in fact, you hate them. But I say that if you put in $1000 investment today, in three months you'll get back $2000, would you do it? If not, why not? You may claim that it's the "principle of it all". That's ridiculous - the oil companies are going to make this money regardless of whether you invest or not. And if you are really so sincere about the "principle of it all", then take that $1000 you made and reinvest into something you believe - or donate it. You took $1000 from the "evil guys" to donate to a good cause. Given all that Bono's doing, I think he MORE than donates his share of $$ to good causes.

Lastly, video games... you know, it's just a game. That's it and that's all. It's not meant to simulate real life. In real life, we don't get to "come back to life". We aren't instantly skilled in a weapon just because we find it lying on the ground. Our aim has to be a lot better than just looking at a person or object. And I believe that this is a chance for parents to step in and - gasp - supervise kids and teach them about violence and these games and R-rated films, etc. So boycotting a game, in my mind, is ridiculous. Instead, teach your kids. And then, if they are old enough and fully understand that this is just a game, that's great. It's like the parents who boycott guns around their kids. It doesn't mean that this child will grow up and never use a gun. In fact, most of my friends (including me) had toy soldiers or guns or GI Joe's or whatever. And we aren't gun-toting idiots going off on sniper sprees. Instead, we had parents who actually taught us. Foreign concept, I'm sure.

Oh, and the above rant wasn't at you JCoster - just at this topic in general. I just quoted you so people could see where I'm coming from.

I agree, doctorwho. I'm not sure many of us can really argue that Bono's a hypocrite for investing in these types of games, unless all of us supporting EDUN and the (RED) campaign can honeslty say we've never bought a single piece of clothing or any other household item manufactured in a definitely-not-fair-trade sweat shop.

Like my mom always says, "Pick your battles."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom