(11-11-2006) U2 Sydney 2 - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Sydney 2

U2 in Sydney once again tonight, busting out a surprising combination of "I Still Haven't Found" and "Stuck in a Moment." Yay for diversity!

Thanks of course to Lila64 for staying up late and the rest of the set list party people!

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo
3. Elevation
4. Until The End Of The World
5. New Years Day
6. Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet) / Blackbird (snippet)
Bono speech - said everyone in the family is well
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / In A Little While (snippet)
8. Stuck In A Moment
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / Torna a Surriento (snippet)
10. Love And Peace Or Else
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday (Father Abraham bit)
12. Bullet the Blue Sky / Hands That Built America / When Johnny Comes Marching Home
13. Miss Sarajevo
Human Rights
14. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. One

ENCORE:

17. Zoo Station
18. The Fly
19. With Or Without You / Love Will Tear Us Apart (Snippet)

20. Saints Are Coming
21 DESIRE
22. Kite

I've just seen alot of very happy people walking though King's Cross in Sydney, drunk on sun, (perhaps a) beer or 2 and a U2 concert - everybody I asked said it was a fantastic night... I can't wait for Monday when I get to join the fun!

Jim said:
I've just seen alot of very happy people walking though King's Cross in Sydney, drunk on sun, (perhaps a) beer or 2 and a U2 concert - everybody I asked said it was a fantastic night... I can't wait for Monday when I get to join the fun!

Sorry to disappoint you but, though the band was OK, the sound quality was appalling. Some thoughts on the Friday night gig and I'll start off with the god news:

1. Well designed/directed light and computer graphics show. One can see and appreciate how much time was spent in devising a show that even people in the 'nose bleed' seats could appreciate.

2. The band usual professionalism and commitment to a good show, especially during a downpour that coincided with the start of the show.

3. Great choice of repertoire from each era of the bands lifespan. Starting with 'City of blinding light' to a great rendition of 'Pride' and even played little heard 'Miss Sarajevo'.

Now for the bad news:

1. Kanye West was a poor support act for this particular tour. Not only are the styles of both performers a complete mismatch but the awful acoustics did not augur well for the headline act. Also Kanye West just did not match up to the quality of support acts for earlier tours, such as Big Audio Dynamite for the 'zooropa tour'.

2. This was the worst concert in terms of acoustic quality I have ever attended. Granted U2 improved on the woeful acoustics of Kanye West, but only just. From my fairly good, second tier stand seats I could not even make out what Bono was saying inbetween songs. Something about David Hicks, his dad and ending poverty but only because I read about it in the newspaper earlier that day.

For next time (if there is a next time) U2 should make sure they hire a venue capable of delivering at least 'average' sound to their high paying concert audience.

In the 1960's we had a President who always, when he came to Africa, brought the rain there. Really, every time he visited an African country it started to rain there.

Sorry that the acoustic is that bad. That's really a pity.

Back
Top Bottom