(11-11-2004) Bono wins Hall of Fame gong and says he "hates" it - Yahoo*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono wins Hall of Fame gong and says he "hates" it

LONDON (Reuters) - Bono, lead singer of Irish rock band U2, has been handed an award inducting him into the UK Music Hall of Fame. Minutes later the reluctant recipient joked he was tempted to hand it back.

After an evening of glamour and gloss on Thursday to launch the inaugural awards chosen by the public, the frontman quipped: "I want to go and kill myself now.

"I really didn't want to come," he told Reuters Television.

"Only respect for the people who were running the show has me here. I hate the idea of being in the UK Hall of Fame to be honest with you ... We don't want to be in any Hall of Fame until we're retired or dead."

U2, which is launching a new album "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb", was one of five acts named as founding members of the new institution along with Madonna, Bob Marley, the Beatles and Elvis Presley.

Singer Cliff Richard and The Shadows won the award for the 1950s, the Rolling Stones the 1960s, Queen the 1970s, Michael Jackson the 1980s and Robbie Williams the 1990s.

"It's not another award," Madonna told Reuters. "I think I'm in very good company. I'm honoured to be part of that group."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041112/325/f6gzl.html

Thanks to Eliv8!

I really don't understand his reaction. Maybe he feels like an award like this means people are signaling that he's "done". I hope he doesn't feel that way. One doesn't need to be dead before their talents can be fully recognized.

:heart:

Awww. Bummed he feels that way, but to a point I can understand it. Reminder of how long they've been around. But how many bands can say they been kicking arse for 25 years and still have a #1 Album on their hands (I know it is not official yet, but meh details).

He better prepare for more of this too, cause I am sure they are getting into the U.S. Hall of Fame on the first try. And I, shall be getting in my car and taking the drive from Detroit! :wink:

I understand his point of view. Being in the Hall of Fame and winning lifetime achievement awards implies, whether true or not, that you are no longer relevant and are now relgated to the past. Bono and U2 are all about relevance right now and don't want to be associated in people's minds with the relics of the past.

I am actually shocked by his behavior. For some reason I actually feel something fishy about this story. I do not believe that bono could be arrogant like that. Maybe it could be that he doesn't want to accept that he is getting older. I really don't know what he is thinking because i am not him. But i respect him and the the band. I respect their music. Luv u always Bono may U2 live and play as long as The Rolling Stones have.:madspit:

Do none of you see the key words in this story?
In the first paragraph, the word "joked", and in the second paragraph, "quipped"? You're "shocked" by this, and you "really don't understand his 'arrogant' reaction"?
He's just kidding! Truly, why do we need sensationalistic tabloids when we have fans like this?

the hightlights is on tv in the UK Sunday night 14th nov
around 9pm i think
UK Music Hall of Fame

no doubt bono will be on it

BB

Congratulations to U2 and Bono....even if this award makes him feel a bit "old".:wink:

Bono's reaction was to be expected. He has always joked or quipped something at times when he feels overwhelmed with emotion - whether those emotions were ones of uncertainty or Joy.

Obviously, he must have been feeling Joy and a tremendous amount of gratitude. :hug:

If he had any misgivings about this award, it may have been because U2 was elected as a FOUNDING member of the UK Music Hall of Fame. Maybe being Irish this might have sent a twinge up his back.

Also, I bet he felt (not that the rest of us feel this way) that there were more deserving people who should have gotten this award than him. This is just part of Bono's inherent humility.:angel:

EXCELLENT AWARD FOR AN EXCELLENT BAND.:up:

dang i wake up this morning and the headline on CNN.com says something to the effect of "u2 lead singer bono says "i want to kill myself" then i read the story. :madspit: give me a heart attack why don't ya?

we all sometimes find ourselves doing something we're not entirely comfortable doing, right? even something we may have straight-out told ourselves we wouldn't do. we gotta let ourselves off the hook, maybe this comment was just that, in a dark sort of way...least I very much hope so!

but then of course, you have to ask why he just didn't say fuck it, i won't appear to receive it. why can't he just say no, we don't want to be inducted into any hall of fame til we retire or die? he could do that, couldn't he? wouldn't he be respected for that? like, john cleese said no fucking thanks to becoming sir cleese or sir john or whatever. he said no, I won't defend your empire ma'am queen, right? but elton john didn't. I forget what david bowie did, I think he too rejected the 'honor' on principle. why can't bono? is he torn about it, just unable to say no, what?

the award is really a 'gong' by the way, as in 'bang a'? how bizaare. maybe a good couple bangs on it will clear the air and the whatthefuck vibe. and bring some clarity with a long-held ringing note.

that would be nice, no?

Last edited:
Pic of Bono with his award from Radio 1's website...

bono_fame_120.jpg

This makes me glad I'm not famous. My life might be rough sometimes, but at least I don't have every off-hand comment I make reported in the papers for everyone to pick apart and misunderstand.

U2democrat said:
"u2 lead singer bono says "i want to kill myself" then i read the story.
Very upsetting news.
I think his reaction is understandable as he must be so tired about this entire celebrity thing at this point. We must not be demanding for his correct behaviour all the time.
Gladly, we’ll be testifying of all his rage in his writing and performances.

Back
Top Bottom