(11-09-2005) On the Road: Robbie Adams, Recording and Monitor Engineer -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
On the Road: Robbie Adams, Recording and Monitor Engineer

U2.com has added another Vertigo crew member to its growing list of On the Road profiles--Robbie Adams, recoding and monitor engineer. Get the complete members-only profile here. Snippets are below.

What Are You Doing During the Show?
I am mixing all the instruments together to provide Bono with the best musical basis to sing to. I follow his vocal around with echoes to give him a good playful inspiring mix - what he hears are the levels I create.
You get nervous before the show, it’s like a football match and you do stretching before the band come on, limbering up for what is to come. It’s vital that you are physically calm, so you have to keep lose. We chat of course, we support each other, if someone is having a problem you offer advice and help. And when it is going well we have a great laugh - less so, when it is not going so well!

There is a standard that the band expects of us and it is very high. Sometimes it may all sound fine but the feel might not quite be there.. something is missing and you know it. You become so tuned in that the only time you have to concentrate is when it is not feeling good and then you have to find out why it is not working. When it is just right it is like you don’t even have control over it. It’s like driving a car, you can feel that sometimes it is driving itself.

And if you are feeling it is really working – or not quite working – you know that Bono will be feeling it too. Not least because he will be talking to Phil (his guitar tech) and he will be conveying the message. Bono has signs that he uses to tell me what the wants during a show – he signs to Phil but by then I will have seen it on camera and usually have dealt with it by the time I get the message.

Highlight of the Show

I have never actually seen the show, ever. I have never even seen a whole song from the front – I would kind of like to wander down there. I have no idea what the lights or visuals are like or anything.. I believe there are flags coming down during One! And I often run out to see the cellphones, I love that…especially in the big stadiums. There are two things I really like - Love and Peace, which again I just get to hear on the audio, and also Miss Sarajevo, when Bono gets to that high note, it kills you. It was written for Pavarottit but I think Bono does it better.

--U2.com

Back
Top Bottom