(11-08-2005) Fan Ready to Dance Again With Bono -- The Mercury News*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.mercurynews.com/images/mercurynews/mercurynews/13107/171794404811.jpg[/SIMG]
Queen of the Fans Is Ready to Dance Again With Bono

Allison Wong not only plans to be at both U2 concerts in Oakland this week, but she also hopes to be up on stage -- again -- with the Irish quartet.

Wong, a 32-year-old Palo Alto stay-at-home mom, has shared the stage with singer Bono four times, called up to dance with him in Sacramento, San Jose, New York and, on Saturday, in Las Vegas. Her first time, in Sacramento four years ago, she grabbed the singer's butt.

``I'm not normally like that,'' she said, from Las Vegas Saturday, where she camped out all night to get a standing position in the front row. ``I'm usually very shy and reserved. But when I got up there, I didn't even know what was happening. I have it all on video, but I didn't remember anything.''

In her daily life, she's married to a man who works for a venture capital firm and is mother to 3-year-old Aidan. But when U2 hits U.S. soil, she becomes one of the group's biggest fans.

``People say she's the queen of the U2 fans,'' says Bret Moiseff, a San Jose police officer who also attends a lot of the band's shows.

So far, Wong has seen the band 17 times on this tour, with plans to catch more shows, including the closer in Portland, Ore., in December. Overall, she has been to 33 shows -- her first in 1992.

``The first time I was up there, I was elated. . . . I didn't try to go up again, but if he asks you, you can't say no.''

Bono has signed photos of them on stage, but Wong has been too shy to start a conversation with him. He's just told her, ``Thanks for the dance,'' she said.

Married for six years to her husband, Lance Berger, Wong used to work for the Leukemia Society and participated in triathlons for fun.

``She's an amazing woman, wife and mother,'' says Berger, who also enjoys the band and supports his wife's enthusiasm. Aidan ``is the center of our lives, and the level of patience, love and grace it takes to raise him is the greatest challenge I'll ever have. When she goes on these road trips it reminds me of that.''

Adds Berger: ``If it was the Backstreet Boys, I would have cut her off a long time ago.''

171794404811.jpg

A SAMPLER OF BAND'S VISITS TO BAY AREA

March 18, 1981: U2 plays its first Bay Area concert for free at San Jose State University's cafeteria. They appear earlier on KSJO-FM.

Nov. 11, 1987: U2 plays nine songs, including a version of ``All Along the Watchtower,'' in a free concert at San Francisco's Justin Herman Plaza that was captured in the movie ``Rattle and Hum.''

Ever the showman, Bono spray paints ``Stop the Traffic. Rock and Roll'' on the plaza's Vallancourt Fountain.

The next day, he was arrested. Bono's excuse, ``I am an artist, and that was not an act of vandalism.'' He issues a formal apology, the fine is dropped and the words are removed within days.

Oct. 27, 2004: Half of U2 (U1?) were the first rockers to play San Jose's new California Theatre, as Bono and the Edge played two songs acoustically to launch a special edition of Apple's U2 iPod and a 400-song set of the band's music to download.

They played ``Original of the Species'' and ``All Because of You'' and then posed with Steve Jobs, iPods in hand.

``The role of art is to chase ugliness away,'' Bono said. ``To me it's the most interesting art object since the electric guitar.''

April 9, 2005: At his appearance in San Jose, U2 singer Bono, born Paul Hewson, remembered hearing his song ``The Electric Co.'' on the radio for the first time on KSJO-FM, the former rock station.

``We felt so cool,'' he said.

U2 by the numbers

Millions of dollars U2 grossed on its 2001 ``Elevation Tour''

Projected gross in millions of dollars for U2's current North American tour.

Years since the band's first rehearsal.

Million (and counting) -- the number of albums U2 has sold around the world.

Days it took to download the U2 collection on Christmas -- rather than the normal couple of hours.

TURN IT UP TO CATORCE

When U2 takes the stage tonight and Wednesday at the Oakland Coliseum Arena, it will represent the second part of a harmonic convergence of three huge rock concerts in the Bay Area. U2's two sold-out concerts and the concerts by Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones are expected to bring in around $20 million over nine days to a struggling local concert industry. We thought we'd mark these concerts with some special illustrations and some useful information.

--The Mercury News

Are we really supposed to believe that she doesn't make any effort to be noticed at these shows? How is Bono able to pick the same person out of the crowd four times in a darkened arena if she doesn't position herself at the exact spot where he looks for hot chicks every night? Maybe it's just me and my bad attitude, but it seems almost vain to claim that it's purely an accident. I gotta wonder if she just doesn't want people to hate her for being greedy. After all, there's an article in a newspaper about her - that's kind of publicity-hound-y.

Last edited:
I've gotta tell you, how is it that the same people get to go inside the ellipse every single time? If this is suppose to be a lottery system this is not fare at all. I went to the LA shows and the second night in Vegas and I've gotta tell you that the little girl that he picked up at both venues looked exactly the same.... makes you wonder about this "housewife"

I guess it's just the way the article is written, but it made me feel a little bitter towards this woman. I'm not even someone who wants to dance onstage with Bono, but it seems very self-indulgent :shrug:

Let someone else have a go, huh?

:sigh:

Ok guys, I think you're all being more than a little harsh here. Not that it should matter, but Alli does post here...

I don't know how the article came to be, if she contacted the newspaper or if she was contacted by them so I cannot comment on that. I do agree that the "tone" of the article is a bit self indulgent, but knowing Alli, I find it REALLY hard to believe that the arrogance in it came from her. First of all, I have never heard Alli say "oooooooh I hope to get up there again". That of course doesn't mean she's never thought it, or hoped for, but one could hardly fault her for that... The Queen of Fans bit, well that one is downright embarrasing, but again, I find it REALLY hard to believe that she had anything to do with that and my guess is that she didn't know about it before the article was published... Again, don't really know, but these are just my educated guesses.

Yes, Alli, like lots of us lines up early in the GA lines hoping for the best spot possible, but again, if anyone has a problem with that, they can resolve it... get in line earlier and "beat" her to that spot...

I have told Alli this, so it's not like I am backstabbing her, or being "jealous" of girls that could "potentially prevent me from getting on stage again" as I indeed have been accused of by people that do not know me, so here... do I wish that Bono would pick NEW people? Yes, without a doubt. Having been lucky enough to experience it once, I wish that others were afforded the same opportunity. The feeling I had from that moment will probably last me for a lifetime and I honestly do not need to do it again. Let someone else have their chance... In the spirit of full disclosure though, since I still have a couple shows left and if for some reason I was invited to go up there, I highly doubt I will have the presence of mind to say "oh no Bono, thank you oh so very much, but you already asked me once. why don't you go pick someone else?"

At the end of the day, wishing that Bono expanded his pool of dancing girls does not prevent me from being happy for Alli that she got this chance again. She, nor anyone else that gets picked (whether for the first time or for the nth time) has any say over WHY Bono picked them and the final responsibility falls upon his shoulders. If anyone has a problem, feel free to address him directly about it, though don't be suprised if the answer is something along the lines of my dance, I pick whom I want...

It just makes me sad that in 2 weeks we've had 2 articles and/or responses to articles that seem to diminish people's moments...

Last edited:
It would be interesting if she were to point to a friend of hers next time Bono asks her to dance.

It would seem generous.

I remember seeing her in New York.

I think it is great that a female fan gets the opportunity to dance for me (and the other 19,999 people in the building) I just do not see why it has to happen at these shows. It seems a bit dated.

I have to agree with Miro here. Yeah Im insanely jealous that Alli has been pulled up 4 times by Bono. Still that doesn't mean that Im not happy for her. Will admit I was jealous as hell when I found out it was fellow Interferencer Miro who got up on the stage in Chicago. By the way you looked good :). But it ultimately does come down to that it's BONO'S decision who he wants there. As for Alli maybe he sees something in her that really appeals to him. On the other hand it would be nice to see new faces up there. Sorry Alli I hope you don't take this wrong. Why can't we just put aside our differences and let her enjoy her moment(s)?

i know Alli personally, and she is the nicest girl in the world. she did NOT request the interview- a reporter approached her, and she agreed to do it. i know that when she first read the article, she was *really* upset by the tone of it. apparently the reporter edited what she had to say in order to write the 'story' he wanted. she never said she wanted to dance onstage with bono multiple times. (sorry, i am just telling a bit of her side of the story, since she is not here to defend herself.)

as for girls who get onstage multiple times, the only thing they're doing is going to multiple shows and getting a spot on the railing. the girls i know do not bring signs. bono just decides to pull them up.

i've never heard that going to multiple shows and being on the railing is a problem- if it is, then a LOT of people are guilty, not just the few people who have been onstage multiple times.

as happy as i am for those who have had repeat onstage appearances, i agree with Miroslava that it's nice to see NEW people up there. but in the end, it's bono's decision as to who he pulls up... and i don't think many fans would turn down the opportunity if asked. :shrug: (ETA: ok, maybe Miss Velvet Dress 75 :wink: )

Last edited:
Ok here's my take on this.

1. U2 tours US way to fucking much.

2. Bono must be of very short memory.

3. Bono is full of shit.

4. Bono said for a fact they don't want the same fans in front of the stage night in night out! See "Boston sitdown fiasco."

5. US girls are overweight. At least the ones on stage. Lighten up on the fast food, k? This shit is not good for your health.

6. Bono is short on memory.

7. Ok it's cool to see a show or two maybe three but to see 7 and more... hey if you have too much money just donate to charity. ;)

Ok that's it folks. Don't take this too seriously. It's just one stating his opinion, that's what forums are for no?

1. U2 tours US way to fucking much. :shrug:

2. Bono must be of very short memory.
Sometimes, but not always

3. Bono is full of shit.
So are you

4. Bono said for a fact they don't want the same fans in front of the stage night in night out! See "Boston sitdown fiasco."
This part I agree is contradictory.

5. US girls are overweight. At least the ones on stage. Lighten up on the fast food, k? This shit is not good for your health.
Not all of us are from the U.S. Saying shit like this is also not good for your health.

6. Bono is short on memory.
So are you as this was point #2 :wink:

7. Ok it's cool to see a show or two maybe three but to see 7 and more... hey if you have too much money just donate to charity. ;)
Like you wouldn't it you could...

Not all of us are from the U.S. Saying shit like this is also not good for your health.

As a US girl I highly resent that remark! :mad: People like you certainly aren't good for our health either. One should not have too much intake of "asshole" you know!

Shade said:
Are we really supposed to believe that she doesn't make any effort to be noticed at these shows? How is Bono able to pick the same person out of the crowd four times in a darkened arena if she doesn't position herself at the exact spot where he looks for hot chicks every night? Maybe it's just me and my bad attitude, but it seems almost vain to claim that it's purely an accident. I gotta wonder if she just doesn't want people to hate her for being greedy. After all, there's an article in a newspaper about her - that's kind of publicity-hound-y.

I'm stunned by what an insenstitive and callous post this is--I'll say right off the bat that I'm a good friend of Alli's and I've been to probably 15 shows with her on this tour. I stood right next to her when she was pulled up onstage in NYC. She doesn't do a thing to get up on stage...no pointing, no waving, no signs (i think the first time she ever got up she had a sign), no nothing. Yes, she's front row because she gets in line early. The papers contacted her, not the other way around. Publicity hound? If you knew her you would know she's rather quiet and shy...and in fact, she wasn't inclined to even post anything about this episode because she thought people (like you) would tear into her.

Bono seems to like her, end of story. It's his choice about who he brings up.

And yes, I do think it's your own bad attitude that makes you wonder what her "gimmick" might be or that might make you thing she's after attention. At least other people can openly admit they feel a little jealous or they would like to see new people on stage...instead you revert to an attack on the person, who you don't even know.

Zooropa man said:
I've gotta tell you, how is it that the same people get to go inside the ellipse every single time? If this is suppose to be a lottery system this is not fare at all. I went to the LA shows and the second night in Vegas and I've gotta tell you that the little girl that he picked up at both venues looked exactly the same.... makes you wonder about this "housewife"

The same people don't get into the ellipse every time. On the first leg I went to 14 shows and got in two times. This leg my ticket or other people's ticket I was with scanned us in multiple times, and this has happened to other people that I know. In New York they were allowing you to take three other people into the ellipse with you.

I don't know what you are wondering about this "housewife"--that she's a professional U2 dancer in disguise? That she is planted at shows?

:rolleyes:

BonosBaby12 said:
Sorry :sad: hehe. Seriously I didn't mean the personal attack just riles me up to see people speak so insensitive towards others.

I just said he was full of shit :shh: :wink:

markoajda said:
Ok here's my take on this.

I'm glad that all people do not think as you do. I'm so delighted to see that weight doesn't seem to effect Bono's choices. He enjoys women, in general.

What's it to you that some people are a little curvy? Not everyone seems to have your attitude in that area -- thank God! It's refreshing to see that all sizes are appreciated. You sound rather immature to me and still "value" a woman by appearance only. I hope you grow up sometime in this lifetime.

I tell you what -- I may be hold and carry more pounds than I should, but give me the chance to be up there with Bono and I'd say to hell with all of you people who think everyone should be thin!

kellyahern said:

Me too. Whatever happened to just being happy for other people when good things happen to them?

EXACTLY! Alli has had so many vouch for what kind of person she truly is. And let's be honest we know the media loves to juice things up to their liking. How many times has someone been misquoted or had words put into their mouths in an article? This is a fellow writer (me,lol) saying this too! lol. Oh and Im sorry I know it's the right thing to do. But I know I couldn't see myself pointing to someone else for Bono to pick out if he wants me,lol.

I've never met Alli bit by all accounts she seems like a really nice/ genuine person. My only issue is that she looks so damn good for being a new Mom :grumpy:. Bono has picked her to be on stage a couple of times - so what? He knows she will have a good time up there and act gracefully. When it comes down to it we all just want to go to the shows and have a good time - that Bono seems to be pulling up quite a few regulars at Interference is an added bonus as we get to here all of the great stories
Is it really so hard to just be happy for another person without insulting or degrading them in order to make yourself feel better?

hugs
Chrissi

*snarky comment alert*

this message typed while sitting in the middle of the US eating some damn fine McDonalds looking at all my lovely u2 tickets:madspit:

nurse chrissi said:

this message typed while sitting in the middle of the US eating some damn fine McDonalds looking at all my lovely u2 tickets:madspit:

Pass the fries and a diet pepsi please! :lol:

Maybe it would be nice for once if she actually gave another woman a chance to get up on stage..it's obvious if you're picked that many times to go up on stage that you're clearly going out of your way to be up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom