(11-08-2005) Fan Ready to Dance Again With Bono -- The Mercury News*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kellyahern said:

How about just not saying anything then?

Right, 'cause people should only state their opinions if the opinions are good? Otherwise, it's bad manners? Fuck all that.

kellyahern said:
And that's not what you said. You said you don't care how your comments make her feel.

I didn't say I didn't say that. Just so there are no suspicions or accusations of hairsplitting or retraction or misdirection, kellyahern, I'll restate, for your benefit - I don't care how my comments make her feel. If you think I'm bad, oh well. It's not like you know me. And, frankly, Alli would do well to develop a similar attitude, especially when she courts the press.

Aw... Dave, he wasn't talking specifically about me in that particular post, he was addressing someone else and I yelled at him for it... :madwife:

Thank you so very much though :hug:

Shade said:

Dude, if what some guy on the internet says - some guy that you've already emphatically stated you do not agree with - really, truly hurts her feelings, then she's got bigger issues than whatever I might say. And the same goes for you. Get over it.

Not so.

I've met exactly 11 people from this forum in person. We spent a weekend together in Philadelphia for the 5/14 show. I consider them all my friends.

There are other people here who I've never met in person. They've been very kind to me, and despite the fact that I've never met them in person, my encounters with them have been good even on a message forum. I consider these people friends too, just as much as those people I met in Philadelphia.

There are others on the flipside who I have, on occasion, gotten into arguments with on this forum or on MSN. Even though I've never once met them in person, some of the things people have said to me on here have hurt me just as badly as some things said to my face in arguments I've had in person with people.

Just because you don't know someone personally does not mean a snide comment you make can't hurt. We have a provision in the forum FAQ about personal attacks for a reason.

And the "I can make asshole comments all I want about someone, and if they're upset, it's their own damn problem" line (which is effectively what you said) is absolutely sickening.

But hey, if you'd like to give me free rein to rip into you as much and as harshly as I want to, I'll do it. I mean, hey, nothing I can say to you can hurt, right?

Shade said:

How could I? You're hiding behind an avatar. :eyebrow:

That's funny, alot of people here do know me I don't hide :madspit:

And NEVER assume I wouldn't say my thoughts to you in person, have a delightful day :D

Miroslava said:
Aw... Dave, he wasn't talking specifically about me in that particular post, he was addressing someone else and I yelled at him for it... :madwife:

Thank you so very much though :hug:

:eek:

Misread that one...! :happy:

...the comment still stands though. :whistle:

Shade said:

How could I? You're hiding behind an avatar. :eyebrow:

So you're hiding behind nothing? We're all at our homes. offices, etc when we post here, and I'd love to see if you would say all of this if we were all sitting together at a coffee shop somewhere.

Your remarks were incredibly rude and callous, and it amazes me that you could spew such worthless venom for people you've never met or do not even care about. People like you make me sick. :down:

DaveC said:

Just because you don't know someone personally does not mean a snide comment you make can't hurt. We have a provision in the forum FAQ about personal attacks for a reason.

And the "I can make asshole comments all I want about someone, and if they're upset, it's their own damn problem" line (which is effectively what you said) is absolutely sickening.

But hey, if you'd like to give me free rein to rip into you as much and as harshly as I want to, I'll do it. I mean, hey, nothing I can say to you can hurt, right?

:up:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

So you're hiding behind nothing? We're all at our homes. offices, etc when we post here, and I'd love to see if you would say all of this if we were all sitting together at a coffee shop somewhere.

Your remarks were incredibly rude and callous, and it amazes me that you could spew such worthless venom for people you've never met or do not even care about. People like you make me sick. :down:

Again, :up:

BonosBaby12 said:
You know Dave I find it incredibly sweet when a guy defends a girl that he doesn't even know! Personally I think it's a pretty low blow to make remarks about someone's weight.

Well I was raised to be respectful of women, even strangers.

It boils my blood to see someone (man or woman) think it's ok to disrespect someone else so brutally just because it's a message board. Hell, there are people here that I trust more than most of my in-person friends. People who've met on Interference have gotten married or are seriously heading that way (I know of at least 3 couples). Just because you're behind a computer screen never gives you the right to demean another person. Never.

When it's a guy ripping up a girl like that, well...fuck. Let's just say I rewrote that entire post about 8 times and I had to drastically tone it down every time for being too harsh. God knows I don't want to get banned (again).

But thanks for the support of my post. That goes for everyone. :)

You are very welcome you were really raised right! Helps any I had to refrain myself from saying a few things,lol. And you are so right noone has the right to be so disrespectful. Personally I know if this article was about me I would be pretty upset at some of the responses that are posted.

Yeah, no kidding...I really hope Alli doesn't see (or hasn't seen) this thread.

But if she does, I'll also be more than willing to go on record saying that I think she's really beautiful too (from what I can tell from the picture).

Hopefully she realizes that there are a lot more of us in her corner than not.

I think everyone has pretty much said what I wanted to say... :lol:

I really think it's despicable that people have to bring others down. Isn't U2 supposed to bring fans together?

Alli and all the other girls who get up onstage totally deserve it. It's nice to hear about people getting onstage, doesn't matter if it's the same person or not. If you think there's a hidden agenda to it all then there's seriously something wrong with you. Why can't we all be supportive of each other? Is this too much to ask? :slant:

We're watching, but for the most part I feel the thread has taken quite a positive turn...

We'll continue to watch and do our jobs as appropriate.

looks like it's all been said, with the majority of very cool interferencers being incredibly supportive and a few really rude people getting called out on their comments. i'm sure she will appreciate how kind so many of you have been :up:

wow, if Alli gets on stage again tonight it's gonna be a feeding frenzy :yikes:

I'm glad for this girl Alli - I don't know her, can't say I'm not jealous (would love to dance with Bono, at least once) but, don't you think for him it's a safe bet to pick her? She's obviously not a danger to him, doesn't freak out - don't you think it's something he considers ? I do, we all know he's not a stupid man.:yes: I did witness a crazy person in Bono's presence and it was a bit scary.

He must sense how appreciative she is to be on the stage. From the pictures I have seen she's just having the time of her life! I agree with U2Girl1978 about U2 bringing us fans together. We are here on this site to appreciate the band and to interact with other fellow fans. Personally I have met a lot of great people on here. And even though I have never actually got to meet any of the band members or dance with Bono. Im still incredibly happy for those that have gotten these chances. They are always so gracious with sharing pictures,stories and really are quite modest.

isabelle_guns said:
What I heard and correct me if I am wrong is that someone actually scotts the crowd before the show to decide who is and isn't allowed on stage. Everyone has their moment for a reason.

While I agree that everyone has their moment for a reason, I can emphatically say with imperical knowledge there is NO SCOUTING before concerts. If that was the case, my smile that warped into a look of complete :shocked: and :yikes: could never have been manufactured. Therefore, what you heard should be filed under "unreliable."

It has always been and will always be Bono's discretion who he brings on stage. :dancing: As in the lines of Mofo, "I'm still a child, no one tells me nooooooooo...oooooooo!"

Congrats Alli :applaud:

My, my... it's been quite the fury on this thread, hasn't it? I am one of the lucky ones because I did get to dance with Bono once... and of course I would jump at the chance to do it again:drool: ! And, yeah, if I had the chance to take a turn around the stage several times over I would.
I don't think that Alli is some kind of selfish bad person for having such a lucky streak and accepting Bono's invites on stage. I think she is exactly that: LUCKY. Lucky as hell, and if I'm being honest, I wish it were me:yes:
I don't know her, but I will say "Way to go, Alli!" just because that is quite spectacular. If anything, it lets me daydream that I might find myself up there again once more too. In the meantime, I'm like most girls... positively green with envy, ha ha!

I do find it odd that she has been upo there so many times, and like always , i find it hard to stomach these so called "die hards" since 92??????????? oooooohhh wow ,, ive been die hard since 1984, when i was like 10. i know it can get me pissed when i want to see them and cant get shit for good seats cause all of these bandwagon fans scoop up all the good seats, i'm sorry and there is no way to make this possible, but the oldest fans should get the best seats first, and yes i know there are fans older than me and rightfully so, they should get first dibs. sorry for ranting , just finally had to say soemthing to all these bandwagon u2 fans. who think pop or AB is old school. good lord. u can love u2 but dont act like you are an longtime u2 fan. grrrrrrrr but as far as her up there 4 times. ohh well good for her, just a bit suspicious.

BOYO3221 said:
I do find it odd that she has been upo there so many times, and like always , i find it hard to stomach these so called "die hards" since 92??????????? oooooohhh wow ,, ive been die hard since 1984, when i was like 10. i know it can get me pissed when i want to see them and cant get shit for good seats cause all of these bandwagon fans scoop up all the good seats, i'm sorry and there is no way to make this possible, but the oldest fans should get the best seats first, and yes i know there are fans older than me and rightfully so, they should get first dibs. sorry for ranting , just finally had to say soemthing to all these bandwagon u2 fans. who think pop or AB is old school. good lord. u can love u2 but dont act like you are an longtime u2 fan. grrrrrrrr but as far as her up there 4 times. ohh well good for her, just a bit suspicious.

That sounds very elitist.
I fail to see how the individual longevity of someone's fandom has ANYTHING to do with how 'diehard' they are. Are you saying that because I wasn't born until ten or so years into U2's career, that I shouldn't have the opportunity to get the best tickets that I can? Or that anyone on this forum who didn't get into U2 until later in life's fandom is now anyless than someone who has liked them since 1984?

Think of how many new U2 fans U2 have recruited along the way, expecially since JT/AB. Getting new fans and appealing to new audiences is probably part of the reason why they've got longevity.

BonosBaby12 said:

EXACTLY! Alli has had so many vouch for what kind of person she truly is. And let's be honest we know the media loves to juice things up to their liking. How many times has someone been misquoted or had words put into their mouths in an article? This is a fellow writer (me,lol) saying this too! lol. Oh and Im sorry I know it's the right thing to do. But I know I couldn't see myself pointing to someone else for Bono to pick out if he wants me,lol.

Well, I met Ali once at the San Jose show April 20, 2001. We were in line next to her the whole day. However, we didn't talk much. And you can all slam me until your hearts content, but I didn't apreciate what she said to my girlfriend and I. She asked how many shows we were going to during that leg. We told her we could only make that nights show. And, much to my surprise, her response was, "Ohh..well..you do know that being this early in line is for the "real" fans, right?" Ummmmm...yea, needless to say we didn't reply to that and didnt' converse for the rest of the day.

No, I'm not making this crap up. Who knows, maybe she was having a bad day or whatever, but that was a really shitty thing to say. I know, its kinda pointless bringing it up, but I guess it bugged me to this day. It gave me a bad view of die hard U2 fans. I had really never gotten to line up early and be down in front for a U2 show ever until that day. So, needless to say it was a bad first impression that was left on me.

Now, do I care how many times she dances with Bono..hell no. But, when I saw this article I couldn't believe in the odds that it was the same girl from that day we were in line. Ok, commence slamming

:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom