(11-08-2005) Fan Ready to Dance Again With Bono -- The Mercury News*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
markoajda said:

I just said you were full of fat. :shh: :wink:

I thought you could recognize sarcasm on points 2 and 6! I guess not.

I thought you could recognize sarcasm in all my points!

:happy:

And I may not be the skinniest girl around. Never have never will. Still, you'd be lucky if I ever even looked at you, so ha! :p

buzzkill27 said:
Maybe it would be nice for once if she actually gave another woman a chance to get up on stage..it's obvious if you're picked that many times to go up on stage that you're clearly going out of your way to be up there.

at least for the girls that i know who have been onstage more than once (and this includes Alli), they do not go out of their way to get onstage. they don't bring signs, or have another gimmick. not that there's anything wrong with that, but they just don't engage in this activity.

however, they DO go out of their way to be on the railing, whether that be outside or inside of the ellipse (if they or their friends win the lottery). they accomplish this by getting in the GA line early, sleeping out. and they go to multiple shows.

BUT, that being said, i think that LOTS of U2 fans engage in this behavior i just described. if people have a problem with that, it's a completely different situation, one that's unrelated to getting onstage.

Last edited:
Miroslava said:

I thought you could recognize sarcasm in all my points!

:happy:

And I may not be the skinniest girl around. Never have never will. Still, you'd be lucky if I ever even looked at you, so ha! :p

Got me there, ouch. :up:

ewings said:

What's it to you that some people are a little curvy? Not everyone seems to have your attitude in that area -- thank God! It's refreshing to see that all sizes are appreciated. You sound rather immature to me and still "value" a woman by appearance only. I hope you grow up sometime in this lifetime.

I tell you what -- I may be hold and carry more pounds than I should, but give me the chance to be up there with Bono and I'd say to hell with all of you people who think everyone should be thin!

Where did I say all people should be thin? I'm amazed how one can put an essey on what I'm like from simple true statement.

Little curvy ok who are you kidding? I think it's time you admit to yourself you're overweight sometime in this lifetime. :wink:

I see curvy/overweight is on a whole different scale over here in Europe.

Last edited:
Wow, such venom here. Bitter much, peeps?

"Envy is the art of counting the other fellow's blessings instead of your own."
- Harold Coffin

"Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity."
-Robert Heinlein

"Big girls are best."
- Paul Hewson

markoajda said:

Where did I say all people should be thin? I'm amazed how one can put an essey on what I'm like from simple true statement.

Little curvy ok who are you kidding? I think it's time you admit to yourself you're overweight sometime in this lifetime. :wink:

Ok, I am really going to have to warn you on this one... I know some of your comments have been in jest, others have not, the one aimed at me, whatever I dont care, but it is getting harder to figure out when you are "joking" and when you're not, so I'd suggest you start backing the hell up.

:)

And I say this not as a dancing chick, but as a moderator. So thank you and good day :wave:

ruffian said:

I'm stunned by what an insenstitive and callous post this is--I'll say right off the bat that I'm a good friend of Alli's and I've been to probably 15 shows with her on this tour. I stood right next to her when she was pulled up onstage in NYC. She doesn't do a thing to get up on stage...no pointing, no waving, no signs (i think the first time she ever got up she had a sign), no nothing. Yes, she's front row because she gets in line early. The papers contacted her, not the other way around. Publicity hound? If you knew her you would know she's rather quiet and shy...and in fact, she wasn't inclined to even post anything about this episode because she thought people (like you) would tear into her.

Bono seems to like her, end of story. It's his choice about who he brings up.

And yes, I do think it's your own bad attitude that makes you wonder what her "gimmick" might be or that might make you thing she's after attention. At least other people can openly admit they feel a little jealous or they would like to see new people on stage...instead you revert to an attack on the person, who you don't even know.

All right, here's something we can both agree on: I don't know Alli. She's nobody to me, and as such, I really don't care that much how my comments made her feel. And, who am I, anyway? If her experience was great, then why should anybody, including you, care what I say? All I know, apart from seeing her onstage in NYC, is what I read in an article that was written about her and posted on Interference.

And, guess what? If Alli (and her husband) took part in an article, she at least accepted some measure of media publicity. Regardless of how she may or may not have been misrepresented by the writer, she made the choice to participate in the article. She could have said, "I'm shy (even though I once grabbed Bono's ass onstage) and other fans might get mad at me and try to take away from my experience, so I decline to do the interview." She instead chose to be written about in a publication, the operative root being "public".

So, spare me the "poor Alli, martyr of the media and insensitive fans" bullshit. She clearly did not reject the attention that this brought - in fact, it's only fair to admit that she courted it - and she knew what kind of peanut gallery she was inciting. I don't see how any of this makes her any kind of victim in any way.

Last edited:
Shade said:

All right, here's something we can both agree on: I don't know Alli. She's nobody to me, and as such, I really don't care that much how my comments made her feel. And, who am I, anyway? If her experience was great, then why should anybody, including you, care what I say? All I know, apart from seeing her onstage in NYC, is what I read in an article that was written about her and posted on Interference.

And, guess what? If Alli (and her husband) took part in an article, she at least accepted some measure of media publicity. Regardless of how she may or may not have been misrepresented by the writer, she made the choice to participate in the article. She could have said, "I'm shy (even though I once grabbed Bono's ass onstage) and other fans might get mad at me and try to take away from my experience, so I decline to do the interview." She instead chose to be written about in a publication, the operative root being "public". So, spare me the "poor Alli, martyr of the media and insensitive fans" bullshit. She knew what kind of peanut gallery she was enticing.

I guess I'm just really surprised by how liberally people are willing to be critical of someone they don't even know. I suppose it's easier when you have an avatar and screen name to hide behind, and maybe it never occurred to you that she would read your comments and might be hurt by them.

Her willingness to do the interview certainly suggests she was fine with media being involved, but I think this is different than being a "publicity hound." You think because she agreed to go on stage she's enticing flames by strangers? I do care what you say because I think it's inappropriate, hurtful, and not based on reality. You patently state you don't care how your comments make her feel, so this just supports my earlier assertion that you are callous and insensitive.

For those of you who think Alli should "give someone else a chance" what does that mean exactly? The idea of pointing at ther person next to her (that's me, and I don't want to get up there) is absurd. It's Bono's decision!!!!! Do you all not get that he picks who he wants up there? It's his show. You don't have any more choice of who he picks on stage than you do on ordering the setlist. Fans can ask for dances with signs, sure--so I guess if she were holding up signs saying "pick me again!" you could petition for her not to do that. Should she stand at the back of the floor and obscure her face? Should she recoil in horror when he invites her up there? Really, I just can't get over the attitudes on this thread.

If I weren't a vegetarian I'd go eat a big-ass American Cheeseburger instead of reading so many inane comments :wink:

kellyahern said:

What, I'm supposed to lie and say some stranger with a non-problem does matter to me? If the worst thing that happens to Alli today is that people get mad at her for dancing with Bono four times, I think she's doing just fine. I'll save my sensitivity for people who actually need it. Besides, it's not like I was attacking her appearance like some of the douchebags around here.

Last edited:
ruffian said:

For those of you who think Alli should "give someone else a chance" what does that mean exactly?

i guess people maybe think that she shouldn't be front row ever again... that's all i can come up with. but that doesn't seem to be fair- is there a limit on the number of times one can be front rail?? is it different if you've been onstage??

when it comes down to it, GA allows people to have a choice. you can choose to wait out for many hours and secure a position on the railing, or you can show up late and be somewhere in the middle of the crowd. i understand that some people may not think it's right for fans to go to so many shows, and be front rail all (or most) of the time- that other people should have that opportunity to be front row and to possibly dance with bono. but many, many fans engage in this behavior... and i don't think it's right to use one particular person as a scapegoat.

Last edited:
I would like to apologise if my earlier comments seemed critical of Alli. After reading the responses here, I recognise that I may have prematurely judged her. I read the article in the wrong way, and don't want to cause offense to anyone, Alli included.

beau2ifulday said:
I would like to apologise if my earlier comments seemed critical of Alli. After reading the responses here, I recognise that I may have prematurely judged her. I read the article in the wrong way, and don't want to cause offense to anyone, Alli included.

You don't seem like the type that would intentionally cause anyone offense :)

Shade said:

And, guess what? If Alli (and her husband) took part in an article, she at least accepted some measure of media publicity. Regardless of how she may or may not have been misrepresented by the writer, she made the choice to participate in the article. She could have said, "I'm shy (even though I once grabbed Bono's ass onstage) and other fans might get mad at me and try to take away from my experience, so I decline to do the interview." She instead chose to be written about in a publication, the operative root being "public".

So, spare me the "poor Alli, martyr of the media and insensitive fans" bullshit. She clearly did not reject the attention that this brought - in fact, it's only fair to admit that she courted it - and she knew what kind of peanut gallery she was inciting. I don't see how any of this makes her any kind of victim in any way.

I'm sorry, aside from a schmuck you are?? (Sorry Mods)
Obviously you're the one craving attention by your snide remarks!

Amazing, you don't even know this girl and you come off critiquing like some high and mighty know it all? I don't know Alli, but hell I would like to meet her based on all the kind things people have to say. I guarantee you wouldn't be this bold in person, it's easy to hide behind your screen name Shade lol, go figure!

Oh and don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Last edited:
Oh guys come on.....I would love to dance with Bono too...not that I have sexual desires toward him as I am married, he is married....My take on the girl dance thing is that one person represents everyone there...Its not a big deal really...if she goes and gets picked however she does it....everyone is free to do the same....Seems a little harsh to this lass....Susan

Oh one thing I did forget to mention is I am a huge fan of Ali Hewson's and the work she has done in Northern Ireland....now I do think (and this is just my opinion) to grab a married man's behind......but that's just me...Susan

Geeez can't get it together...I forgot to finish the statement about grabbing at a marrried man's butt....It is somewhat disrespectful...he is not a piece of meat...Susan

What I heard and correct me if I am wrong is that someone actually scotts the crowd before the show to decide who is and isn't allowed on stage. Everyone has their moment for a reason.

For the record, I'm very happy for the girl and I'm happy with anyone who gets the opportunity to share moments like these with their favorite musician.

I have been near 2 WOWY girls (Detroit I and Las Vegas I), I was 2 people to the right of Alli for Vegas II, had Gabe 2 people to my right in Pittsburgh and then of course have my own experience and NO ONE came looking around like they were pre-clearing people for the "experience". In particular, the Detroit I girl wasn't even on the rail and was quite petite, so would have been hard to spot...

So no, I dont believe there is a preselected pool or a preselected person :shrug:

Oh, and I didnt think you were judging! :up:

ruffian said:

I guess I'm just really surprised by how liberally people are willing to be critical of someone they don't even know. I suppose it's easier when you have an avatar and screen name to hide behind, and maybe it never occurred to you that she would read your comments and might be hurt by them.

Her willingness to do the interview certainly suggests she was fine with media being involved, but I think this is different than being a "publicity hound." You think because she agreed to go on stage she's enticing flames by strangers? I do care what you say because I think it's inappropriate, hurtful, and not based on reality. You patently state you don't care how your comments make her feel, so this just supports my earlier assertion that you are callous and insensitive.

Dude, if what some guy on the internet says - some guy that you've already emphatically stated you do not agree with - really, truly hurts her feelings, then she's got bigger issues than whatever I might say. And the same goes for you. Get over it.

one4u2 said:

I'm sorry, aside from a schmuck you are?? (Sorry Mods)
Obviously you're the one craving attention by your snide remarks!

Amazing, you don't even know this girl and you come off critiquing like some high and mighty know it all? I don't know Alli, but hell I would like to meet her based on all the kind things people have to say. I guarantee you wouldn't be this bold in person, it's easy to hide behind your screen name Shade lol, go figure!

Oh and don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Actually, my name is Shade. And, would you really be mouthing off right now if we were face to face? Maybe, I doubt it.

Last edited:
Shade said:

Actually, my name is Shade. And, would you really be mouthing off right now if we were face to face? Maybe, I doubt it.

Apparently you don't know me very well :happy:

markoajda said:

Listen, you knob.

You don't have the right to talk to Miroslava that way. While I know she can defend herself (very, very well, may I add), this still makes me pretty damned upset when I see a guy talking about the weight of a girl he doesn't even know.

I don't know Miro very well myself, except to have seen her posts around. Doesn't mean I don't need to show some common courtesy. We're all human beings here. The least you could do is act like one.

And, for the record, from the pictures I've seen of Miro, she's absolutely beautiful. I'd say that the vast majority of male Interferencers would probably back me up on this.

God, I really had to hold myself back on this post. :wink:

But if you say that kind of shit again, I'll rip you a new asshole. I'm not kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom