(11-08-2004) Pirated U2 Album Hits Net, Release Date in Limbo - ABC News*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Pirated U2 Album Hits Net, Release Date in Limbo

Nov 8, 2004 — By Bernhard Warner, European Internet Correspondent

LONDON (Reuters) - Pirated versions of U2's new album "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" have emerged on Internet file-sharing networks two weeks before it goes on sale, throwing into question its official release date.

A London spokeswoman for the band on Monday would only say that U2 was aware of the illicit copies, but that no decision had yet been made on changing the release date.

The Irish rock band has been due to release the album on Nov. 22 in Europe and the following day in the United States. It is the first studio album in four years for the band signed to Island Records, a unit of Universal Music.

Earlier this summer, a tape containing rough tracks from the upcoming album went missing from a studio in Nice, France where the band was recording. At the time, the band said it might move the release date if the tracks appear online first.

The online appearance of unsanctioned versions of an album before the official release has dogged many music acts.

Record labels fight back by sending copy-proof promotional copies to radio stations and journalists, and hiring firms to flood file-sharing networks with "spoof" tracks with poor sound quality, which crowd out better-sounding pirated versions.

"With any major release, the record companies start about a week in advance flooding the networks. That way users are more likely to download a spoofed copy," said Jim Graham, a spokesman for California-based online piracy tracking firm BayTSP.

"But over time, the pirated versions win out. It's very cat and mouse. It's like the cold war," he added.

In the past month, release dates for American rap artist Eminem and hip-hop star Snoop Dogg, both signed to Universal's Interscope Records, has been pushed forward by a few days due to the appearance of pirated tracks online.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=235982

Copyright 2004 Reuters News Service.

Frankly I'm not too worried about U2's album sales... I mean, c'mon, list a major album that HASN'T been leaked lately! Interpol, REM, Eminem, Destiny's Child...all leaked. Plus, the fact is the people that would download the songs early are either hardcore U2 fans like us that will buy the album anyway or people that would have downloaded the songs after the album was released regardless, instead of buying. If anything the leak will help people see what a fuckin brilliant album Bomb is :D I hope U2 doesn't up the release date... now that Eminem's is a week earlier that gives U2 a better chance at number one.

This Album Rocks! It maybe their best?

Hey I downloaded it but I'm still going to but the album cause I'm a fan and the album Rocks!
I listened to the album several times and I have to say it is amazing. I'm starting to beleive when U2 said this may be there best album yet. That is way too early to say but I am really getting into the songs. I like all 11 tracks even Vertigo sound better and I can see why they put that one out as there first single. But another one which is becoming my favourite is "City of blinding light" Its reminscent of "where the street have no name" The way it build ups is incredible, and Edge is at is best, I love it and it definatelydoesn't hurt that it is the longest song on the album, I think 5:31. I think alot of Songs are reminscent of JT and older stuff. I can see why Bono said this is very much Edges album as you can pretty well hear him in every song. He is just amazing and I have been waiting since AB for Edges masterfull return. Then theres "sometimes u can't make it on your own" If you have children or someone you really care about it you will definately feel this one. "Because of you" also rocks as Edge really struts it. Then there is "Original of the species" which again u can feel the the musice and the words. I think I could go on and on. I recommend you buy the album as soon it come out!

Ed.

This Album Rocks! It Maybe Their best?

Hey I downloaded it but I'm still going to buy the album cause I'm a fan and the album Rocks!
I listened to the album several times and I have to say it is amazing. I'm starting to beleive when U2 said this may be there best album yet. That is way too early to say but I am really getting into the songs. I like all 11 tracks even Vertigo sounds better and I can see why they put that one out as there first single. But another one which is becoming my favourite is "City of blinding light" Its reminscent of "where the street have no name" The way it build ups is incredible, and Edge is at is best, I love it and it definately doesn't hurt that it is the longest song on the album, I think 5:31. Alot of Songs are reminscent of JT and older stuff. I can see why Bono said this is very much Edges album as you can pretty well hear him in every song. He is just amazing and I have been waiting since AB for Edges masterfull return. Then theres "sometimes u can't make it on your own" If you have children or someone you really care about it you will definately feel this one. "Because of you" also rocks as Edge really struts it. Then there is "Original of the species" which again u can feel the the music and the words. I think I could go on and on. I recommend you buy the album as soon it come out! Hopefully there release it earlier!

Ed.

Back
Top Bottom