(11-07-2004) U2 Drummer Considers Acting Career -- contactmusic*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Drummer Considers Acting Career

U2 drummer LARRY MULLEN is considering leaving the Irish band to become an actor.

The WITH OR WITHOUT YOU rocker is thrilled he's in the world famous group, but since his 43rd birthday he's been tempted by the challenge of pursuing an alternative career, before he's too old.

Mullen explains, "I might take on a new challenge of doing some acting. I like the idea of going to it late.

"But the band is all I've ever wanted, and I get paid for it. I don't want to sound smug, but I've got the best job in the world."

"But different things come into play now that we've all got families. We don't have the freedom we once had."

--contactmusic

Bullshit again....
Doesn´t say anything about larry leaving u2...
Just that he wants to be an actor TOO.

Shurely he can do both... J-Lo and Britney(well...) has done it, and many others... Why do we even print this tabloid shit on interference??

Maybe they found everything that they are looking for! I remember reading or hearing somewhere, where bono said that they always work to achieve for the perfect album and if they find it then they wouldn't write any more albums. Correct me if i am wrong, but maybe HTDAAB is that PERFECT album for them and they have acomplished what they always wanted to acomplish, to write the album that made them totaly happy. Come on people we are ganna have to accept the fact that U2 will not be around forever, they are getting older and have families and Bono is way too much into politics so I am begining to think or accept the fact that this may be one of their last albums but i still think maybe they will do another one so that by 2010 they can do a best off album.

Thats IMO,
Nico

Larry pretty much shoots this idea down: "But the band is all I've ever wanted, and I get paid for it. I don't want to sound smug, but I've got the best job in the world."

"But the band is all I've ever wanted, and I get paid for it. I don't want to sound smug, but I've got the best job in the world."

Because that sounds like 'I want to leave the band' to me... :rolleyes:

Oh my god. That's so cruel to start a story like that, when he doesn't even say he wants to leave the band.
*wipes tears*

If it is true it ruins the new u2 era i guess, we will have an acoustic tour and stuff. But he will be back soon enough trust me. He aint Elvis.

saltwaterkiss26 said:

Because that sounds like 'I want to leave the band' to me... :rolleyes:

@#!* journalists. LOL! Well, they wanted to have something that would catch people's eye -- even if it isn't necessarily TRUE. *G* This is just like the article that said, "OMG! Bono will leave U2 to become a full-time politician!". ><

Last edited:
this is just contactmusic reporting utter cr*p again!!!

they always twist comments made by members of U2 to make a more sensational article. Larry mentioned NOTHING about leaving U2.

I wish Interference would fillter out/ignore any items by contactmusic who are just a complete bunch of liars.

If Bono broke wind during an interview these guys would report "Bono's love for baked beans threatens tour"

if you see ANY article from them in future don't read it.

here are the last few articles by contactmusic:

* U2 frontman BONO is tempted to become a full-time politician
- manipulated interview between Bono to Alistair Campbell

* Bono and Hawkins (The Darkness) fight over Band Aid lyric
- no comment by me other than "yeah, whatever!"

* Bono Threatens Franz Ferdinand
- article was glorified to sound aggresive when in
fact it was a light-hearted remark from Bono to Cat
Dealy from CDUK

* Eno Lets Bono Speak to the Pope
- i don't have any evidence to argue with this one
but sounds like complete over the top nonsense
like the others above

Last edited:
I would support Larry in whatever decision he makes regarding HIS life.:up:

It's not up to us to try to tell anyone else what they need to do with their lives and if everyone REALLY loves and respects U2 as much as I read here, then they would be supportive of each individual member of U2 to do with their lives what they think is best. :yes:

I doubt Larry is leaving the band anytime soon - but that day WILL ARRIVE.

And when it does, none of the members of U2 will allow anyone but themselves to tell them what they need to do with their lives.

They have always been INDEPENDENT SPIRITS - and I Love and Respect them for that! :hug:

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

dsmith2904 said:
U2 Drummer Considers Acting Career

"But different things come into play now that we've all got families. We don't have the freedom we once had."

--contactmusic

Come on. Geez this last statement say's it all. "I'm busy, I have a family and a band and the best job in the world- I can't even consider it." Why would he :huh:

Contactmusic has a way of so taking remarks out of context. Like most rags.:madspit:

Larry can act if he wants to. I don't think he is saying it's going to be his new career but just that he is thinking of trying it out. Good for him if that is what he wants!!:up:

contactmusic is a small, insignificant tabloid style pop music website trying to generate hits and the only way they can get people going to their website is by sensationalising (is that a word?). i'm in the business of internet marketing and this is exactly what they're trying to do...and it's working, we're talking about it!

Jamila, Larry is not leaving the band! He may go into acting but it'll be a 'hobby' outside of his day job of being in U2.

Don't believe anything that contactmusic has to say. Again, it's a ploy to make a name for themselves.

TheFly7 said:

No one could... When one of the boys goes, U2 is done.

JeffD

i look cool, i am cool - larry

U2 without any doubt would do a Led Zep and finish. I think most fans would want it that way too.

Anyway, enough talk of U2 splitting please, it's depressing and we've got an album and tour to look forward to.

Last edited:
TheFly7 said:

No one could... When one of the boys goes, U2 is done.

JeffD

i look cool, i am cool - larry

Exactly. When one decides to quit, "we're all outta here," in the words of Bono.

U2 WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT, be one of these great bands that has members quit and replaced. What makes U2 great is that all four of them have been together since 1976. Name me one band that has never changed members for that long period of time??

We shouldn't be giving any credit to Contactmusic's trash. Yes, I believe that when one of them leaves, they'll quit. But that's not happening now, not after all theses months of work and releasing an album that has been stolen slip over the net. That's ridiculous. If they were able to manage all those things over all this time, they will go on.

I think that this news is crazy. I have read articles on U2 and have never heard of Larry even considering acting. I believe this to be off of Star magazine. U2 would not exist if any of the bands members left. It is like finding a new singer to replace Inxs.

mysticchild said:
I think that this news is crazy. I have read articles on U2 and have never heard of Larry even considering acting. I believe this to be off of Star magazine. U2 would not exist if any of the bands members left. It is like finding a new singer to replace Inxs.

some numbskull from contactmusic read the sunday times interview (read it for yourself in the interference.com news section) and then he/she/it sensationalised it to make something out of nothing solely to get noticed.....contactmusic are a bunchpathetic losers, stamping their little feet for attention.

Larry just made a comment to the Sunday Times journalist on wanting to do some acting - nothing less, nothing more.

lets now forget this and talk positively about the new U2 stuff.

ewen said:

I wish Interference would fillter out/ignore any items by contactmusic who are just a complete bunch of liars.

me too :yes:

Have any of the contactmusic articles been any good? All they seems to do is take articles already written by other news agencies and twist them around to make them sound way more sensational than they are. :madspit:

kellyahern said:

me too :yes:

Have any of the contactmusic articles been any good? All they seems to do is take articles already written by other news agencies and twist them around to make them sound way more sensational than they are. :madspit:

in recent weeks just two articles were ok (i.e. not sensational): something about ronan keating wanting to be bono and another informing us about the new band aid single. other than those two we had four sensationalised (is this a word or have i made it up?) - the larry 'story', hawkings and bono fighting over singing bono's famous band aid line, bono 'threatening' franz ferdinand, and Eno's studio tantrum.

it's a shame that this thread has had almost 3 times the amount of views than the Sunday Times article (of which contactmusic got their "inspiration" for their nonsense) thread - please folks go read that thread if you haven't already...you'll see Larry's comment about the acting thing.

now i need to go to bed so that i can get up early to buy Vertigo!!

As a journalism student, I just have to say that that is a crap article. You can't write a headline like that and not back it up in the article!

And like everyone has said, if Bono can do all his political stuff as well as U2, why can't Larry supplement his career with acting? I reckon it'd be interesting to see.

Back
Top Bottom