(11-06-2004) U2's Atomic Bomb Leaks - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think u2 should be too concerned about all the downloading. If you already know the name of the album, and the songs, you have done your homework, and must be a real fan. Like me I think most of those people will have the album already on order to purchase it somewhere.
I think the album rocks!:applaud:

Another thought....it's interesting how on the track 'Yahweh' Bono doubles his voice with an octave down. I don't believe I've heard this since Zooropa....specifically 'Babyface.' And the end of 'Original of the Species', where the edge lets the reverb bleed to the end of the song is reminiscent of the end of 'where the streets have no name.' I love the subtle touches, and on repeated listens, I'm sure I'll hear more. Still....can't say the album is growing on me as quickly as some others on this board.

but i forgot to mention before....yes. i will buy the album, promise. Nothing wrong with a test drive before purchase, though. I'm just being an empowered, informed consumer. :wink:

Plan on pre-ordering the collector's edition, but have heard some of the songs already. Wow. I see what they mean by this being their first real rock n' roll album. Of course, U2 is a rock band, so all the records are rock. But this is probably their first straight forward rock n' roll record. There are bits of the Stones and T-Rex, and it sounds better the louder you play it.

I think it has this in common with JT: it is a new sound. JT was U2 boiled down to a solid pop sound, but HTDAAB is U2 full volume without the elctronica distractions, with a couple of balads for balance. This might surpass AB as my #2 record behind War!

After multiple listens...

I really don't think this is a memorable album. I'm really sorry, I'd love to agree with most of the fans on this board, but... the songs just aren't sticking to me.

I think 'Pop' was the last decent album...seems like they've run out of things to say...most of the songs on HTDAAB are reminsicient of GREATER songs, which just makes me want to listen to their older stuff. Lot of rehashing on this album...lot of B-side quality.

I am a die hard U2 fan. I don't think this album will burn its way into our hearts because honestly, I've actually don't feel inspired to put it in the CD player anymore...and its only been a few days.

Is it just me, or does Bono's lyrical melodies seem...very disapointing? Just when you think his voice will soar to a memorable chorus, it just falls flat. (i.e. city of blinding lights) That song could have been great but the chorus is mediocre.

Oh well. I'll buy the album anyway.

In Atlanta, 99X has been playing a new track every hour since early this morning. All of the DJ's really love it and are praising the band at every turn. Gotta love all the positive press.

Tell the authorities in France to call off the hunt for the thief who stole the
Edge's Cd a few months ago and allegedly just let it out on the internet. I
guess it takes a detective from Chicago to solve this mystery.

The thief is none other than the 5th U2 member, Paul McGuinness, their manager.

Has U2 ever had this much publicity surrounding a release of a new album?
Paul is known as one of the best in the business. He knows exactly what he's
doing by leaking HTDAAB just 2 weeks b4 it's release date. And HTDAAB is gonna
be on Apple Itunes anyway. And their whole catalog will be there too. What a
way to publicize it. Edge is not that dumb to leave a finished copy in an
empty hotel room. And to think Blender magazine was there to witness it. How
convenient. What a great witness.

How come the thief didn't leak it months ago?

By the way, HTDAAB kicks ass!!! I love it!!!

And like all true U2 fans, we will by the real CD upon it's release.

Hey Bono, I don't need a reward. But if ya happen to have 2 tickets next time
you come to Chicago, a die-hard U@ fan would appreciate it.

Ray
ChgosFinest007@aol.com

And I remember an interview with Bono back in 1987 about how U2 fans "spontaneously" show up at the airport to greet them. He said that the press covers it and it gives U2 exposure. But he added that don't be surprised if it was the band management that let all these fans know ahead of time when & where the band would arrive.

In other words, the band itself can help create "buzz" and publicity. And U2's management are the best in the business. They are experts at marketing these guys...since day one. Just look at all the extra EPs and B-sides that they throw out there. And of course, I am thrilled they do put all the extra songs on the market.

I think they made 3 videos for One. What other band in their right mind would do that.

Now they got so much "buzz" surrounding the theft of HTDAAB and even more so with the leakage. Paul McGuinness knows that it'll be on the internet as soon as it's released so why not put it on there now and blame some thief. And make all the U2 fans feel sorry for the band and make them buy the "real thing". But all the more power to them. It just shows how genius U2 are.
And what a great album. It's their best and a masterpiece.

I pre-ordered the collector's edition last week, and then my best friend's husband snuck me a downloaded copy...I felt so guilty about it, but since I've already paid for the album (plus some, considering the cost of the collector's edition--even tho I got it on Amazon), I realized it was OK to hear it early.

I'm not one of those fans who instantly loves something just because it's U2. POP had to grow on me--and now it's one of my favorite albums. The same thing for Atomic Bomb. I've only gone through it a couple of times from beginning to end, and there are a couple of songs on there that have to grow on me. But I must say that I LOVE track 4 (Love & Peace)! It makes me sooooo happy! It's got some balls to it!

I have some more listening to go before I can give a more-informed opinion.

I thought id come online and give my opinion of the new album. I've been a u2 fan since achtung baby..and have listened to all their albums before and since. Personally, I didnt like the last album that much. I still think it has some good songs on it, but it didnt have the staying power that other albums did....infact i havent listened to it much since the year it came out...but neways...in my humble opinion this new album is one of their best ever...its amazing....its more then i hoped for, I was really not expecting this album. First off, there is no point in comparing it to any other u2 album...sure certain songs hint at previous albums, but that comes with the territory. U2 is U2, and they will sound like previous albums..thats only natural. Vertigo is a good rock song...simple straightforward and rocking from start to finish...mircale drug i think is an ok song...hasnt quite made a big impression just yet...but good nonetheless...after that i was blown away. Sometimes you can't make it on your own...is a very emotional, deep and personal song....its bono stripped bare..singing about death, in essense baring his soul, and his greiving. Next we have love and peace or else...a great song that talks about important issues of today, like the war, but doesnt preach...its a song that rocks and grooves and makes you want to dance along with it. I'm gonna cut this review short and not get into every song...so far my favourite song is original of the species...but quite honeslty i like every song on it. I bleive that once all the fans out there give this album a couple listens they'll feel it too. The music is great...and if their was one work too describe bono's lyrics it would be 'soul'...he pours out his soul all over these songs and i for one am glad to be along for the ride.

"Mercy" is where it's at

If anyone out there hasn't heard Mercy yet I would highly suggest you do so. That song alone put Atomic Bomb in perspective for me. That was the song I was waiting to hear. That song will easily rank in my top 10... maybe top 5... who knows.

Just the intensity of the music in Crumbs from Your Table is enough to kill me. :edge:
Listen to it ... I mean really..intently...:up:
A Man and a Woman... before it just fits....
Then the rest
This is a f*ing brilliant album....
:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom