(10-31-2006) Mysterious ways: U2 in 3-D concert film - Reuters*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Mysterious ways: U2 in 3-D concert film

By Gregg Goldstein

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - U2's Vertigo world tour may soon create a real sense of vertigo among moviegoers as the Irish rockers are planning to release their first 3-D concert film next year.

The untitled feature, being readied for a summer or fall release, will draw from more than 700 hours of footage shot during the trek's South American leg in February and March. In conjunction with its release, U2 might take part in the first live 3-D performance projected in theaters nationwide.

The film was directed by Mark Pellington ("Arlington Road"), who began his career by shooting U2's seminal "One" video, and Catherine Owens, a creative director on several U2 world tours.

A representative for the band called it "the first-ever 3-D multicamera live shoot." Editing is underway in New York. Discussions are under way with several major studio distributors.

3ality Digital Entertainment, the project's producer, put together of the largest assemblages of 3-D camera technology ever used for a single project.

It is expected that the film will screen nationwide using the Real D technology put in place by theaters that showing the current digital 3-D release of "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas."

Real D unveiled the first theatrically projected live 3-D event last week at the ShowEast convention of movie theater owners in Orlando, Fla. It is planning a live 3-D concert presentation next fall, and sources said it might be a U2 concert.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.
http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...C-U2-DC.XML&WTmodLoc=EntNewsMusic_C1_[Feed]-2

LET'S GO SANTIAGO AND SAO PAULO :rockon: :bow: :applaud: :camera:

Sorry my Mexican and Argentinian brothers, the concerts were rather mechanic, uninspired, artificial, in front of a dull audiences :shrug: (see Edge gets pissed off at the asleep crowd and Bono trying to wake up the audience in Buenos Aires)

PS: 700 hours of footage?????? :shocked: did they film the band even when they were sleeping or what? :laugh:

I told you my friends, EVERY single Latin American gig was filmed ;)

^ EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

SANTIAGO, SAO PAULO 2, BUENOS AIRES 1, MEXICO 1 :drool:

don't listen to him :wink: I was thera t least for Arg 1 and it was amazing... I hoper ALL THE CONCERTS appear in some kind of way :D:D:D

When I saw this on the front page I jumped up so fast I kicked my chair over and yelled "FUCK YEAH!" I think I woke up my neighbors. :lol:

When I first heard about this, I read that U2 was going to use a 3D technology that does not require the use of glasses. No mention of that in this article. Did they give up on that technology?

even i was feeling kinda wierd about the u2-18 compilation, but u2 has come through yet again, this thing is gonna be insane. i wont ever say they dont use their position to benefit their fans again... wait i guess i never said it... i wont even let myself THINK it

btw which version of one did he direct? anyone know off the top of their head? whoever answers first wins a cookie!

lash said:
even i was feeling kinda wierd about the u2-18 compilation, but u2 has come through yet again, this thing is gonna be insane. i wont ever say they dont use their position to benefit their fans again... wait i guess i never said it... i wont even let myself THINK it

btw which version of one did he direct? anyone know off the top of their head? whoever answers first wins a cookie!

The "buffalo" version. See it on YouTube here. Anton Corbijn did the "Berlin drag" version, and Phil Joanou shot the 3rd "traditional" version.

I prefer chocolate chip, please....:wink:

Last edited:
Phalanx said:
When in the Buenos Aires concert does Edge get pissed at them?

I don't remember exactly when. I watched the performances by TV but I don't have the bootlegs, but I think it's about 3/4 of the gig or near the end. I remember watching it with 3 friends (one from Argentina and 2 from Chile) and all of us noticed that clearly. Even my Argentinian friend (called Andres) was very surprised at the rather boring crowd "it's not like a Rolling Stones Concert in River Plate Stadium" he said. :(

Even the band didn't come onstage to perform the last encore (Love Is Blindness was supposed to be) and they didn't farewell the audience. Also you can see Bono a bit embarrased when the child who came onstage didn't know the song at all :reject: and he ask several times the audience to SIIIIIIING with flat response

Also, don't forget what Paul McGuinness pointed out about the performance in Chile was one of the best U2 performances in their career :drool:

This is fairly the same as Popmart Tour, Sao Paulo and Santiago were the best performances :up:

Damn, now we'll be waiting for Popmart DVD from South America as well, much better performances and much more significant gigs than the dull Mexico City 1997

PS: During the waiting outside, I was interviewed :D and I was dare to say "Pop is my favourite U2 album. I was at the landmark Popmart concert 1998 and I really hope they're going to play at least a song of the album"

but I don't think they want to put that on the DVD :reject:

This is and isn't news. We all knew a 3D film was coming but I thought it was of Buenos Aires alone, the whole show. Editing it from 700 Hours of footage? That's insane, not to mention it'd be cooler just to have a complete show, rather than a highlight reel, at least that's what I think.

ponkine said:

I don't remember exactly when. I watched the performances by TV but I don't have the bootlegs, but I think it's about 3/4 of the gig or near the end. I remember watching it with 3 friends (one from Argentina and 2 from Chile) and all of us noticed that clearly. Even my Argentinian friend (called Andres) was very surprised at the rather boring crowd "it's not like a Rolling Stones Concert in River Plate Stadium" he said. :(

Even the band didn't come onstage to perform the last encore (Love Is Blindness was supposed to be) and they didn't farewell the audience. Also you can see Bono a bit embarrased when the child who came onstage didn't know the song at all :reject: and he ask several times the audience to SIIIIIIING with flat response

The March 1st concert was great. Just as great as Sao Paulo concerts (SP was a bit greater LOL).

This is going to be so amazing! The first of its kind... ever! I hope they show it in IMAX theaters... Bono, 20 feet tall!

ponkine said:

Also, don't forget what Paul McGuinness pointed out about the performance in Chile was one of the best U2 performances in their career :drool:

This is fairly the same as Popmart Tour, Sao Paulo and Santiago were the best performances :up:

Damn, now we'll be waiting for Popmart DVD from South America as well, much better performances and much more significant gigs than the dull Mexico City 1997

PS: During the waiting outside, I was interviewed :D and I was dare to say "Pop is my favourite U2 album. I was at the landmark Popmart concert 1998 and I really hope they're going to play at least a song of the album"

but I don't think they want to put that on the DVD :reject:

The march 1st concert was great, I´m argentinian and nobody boring, that´s a lie.

We love U2 so much!!! and the two concert was ESPECTACULAR!!

powerhour24 said:
This is and isn't news. We all knew a 3D film was coming but I thought it was of Buenos Aires alone, the whole show. Editing it from 700 Hours of footage? That's insane, not to mention it'd be cooler just to have a complete show, rather than a highlight reel, at least that's what I think.

I disagree... I think a 3-D spectacle would be kinda dull to just be a show, just one show...I'd like it more 'creatively' put together, and from 700 hours of footage they'll have a lot to play with lol!
If it's "just" a concert, but in 3-D, that would be sorta so, no?

Wow, this should be fun! big screen Vertigo! :hyper:
I heard all the buzz about how great the S. America shows were, but wasn't paying much attention then for some reason...
And *I* didn't know til now a 3D film was coming!:reject:
cheers all!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom