(10-31-2004) Leg Warmers Among all Things Back From '80s -- Times Leader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Leg Warmers Among all Things Back From '80s

By MARQUES G. HARPER

mharper@leader.net

"Springsteen, Madonna

way before Nirvana

there was U2 and Blondie

music still on MTV

her two kids in high school

they tell her that's she uncool

but she still preoccupied

with 19, 19, 1985"

- "1985" by Bowling For Soup

This is the very season when leg warmers (remember them?) will finally get their due. Just when many of us thought (and perhaps, hoped) glittery leg warmers died a painful death like so much '80s fashion, they've made the big return, turning up on the legs of school girls near and far.

But before you go rummaging through the backs of drawers looking for the ones you put away for safe keeping, you need to know what other big-ticket '80s items are back. Here are 10 signs we haven't had enough of the '80s in fashion and pop culture:

1. Duran Duran has a new album, "Astronaut," in stores. So does R.E.M., with "Under the Sun," and Anita Baker, with "My Everything." The Beastie Boys are pushing "To the 5 Boroughs." And U2 will soon come out with "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb."

2. The flipped-collar polo shirt is back. And for more '80s fun, wear yours over another flipped-collar polo shirt of a different color.

3. Madonna, who wrapped up a sold-out greatest-hits tour a few weeks ago, is now hawking children's gear and wares based on her children's book, "The English Roses," at Nordstrom. Meanwhile, Prince - yes, Prince - is pulling in the big dollars with his concert tour as well as hawking a new album that has sold hundreds of thousands of copies.

4. Big, chunky jewelry of varied colors and materials is turning up on hands and necks of teenagers. Long dangling straight earrings and multiple bracelets on one arm also are back.

5. Lacoste, Members Only, Polo. If you wore these high-end '80s styles then, well, you're in luck. They're back.

6. A trip to the Wyoming Valley Mall after school will show you the return of the mohawk, which is the new it-hairstyle for some guys. And perhaps you'll find a few people walking around with ripped jeans. Hey, at least, they're not stone- or acid-washed jeans - those other '80s-fashion staples.

7. Sleeveless shirts and brimmed hats are back. Just take a look around.

8. Director John Woo, who helmed "Mission: Impossible 2," is up for making a new He-Man flick, according to published reports. (In case you don't remember, it was cool for kids to play with "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" action figures back in the day).

9. Mega nighttime soap "Dallas" reportedly is getting turned into "Dallas: The Movie." Until then, a cast reunion show involving J.R., Sue Ellen and the rest of the Ewing clan will come to CBS on Nov. 7.

10. Perhaps there was a good reason you kept those blouses with the big bow collars and jackets with shoulder pads, all-too-familiar wares seen on shows such as "Dynasty" and "Knots Landing." Now if only you could find those Gloria Vanderbilt or Jordache jeans, you'd be set for the revival of most things '80s.

--Times Leader

wow............
come to think of it, i have been wondering what ever happened to u2.
they were so popular in the 80s.
since then i have not heard much from them.
anyone know what that bono dude has been up to?
haven't heard a peep outta him in years......

dsmith2904 said:
Long dangling straight earrings and multiple bracelets on one arm also are back.

Back? They were out? Does this mean I've been committing fashion crimes for awhile now? :reject:

Oh well...if I keep doing it, now I will finally be cool. :wink:

Good point, caragriff...they make it sound like U2 didn't do anything in the 90s...like they vanished and now are suddenly back. U2 never went anywhere.

caragriff said:
wow............
come to think of it, i have been wondering what ever happened to u2.
they were so popular in the 80s.
since then i have not heard much from them.
anyone know what that bono dude has been up to?
haven't heard a peep outta him in years......
:lol: For about a split second I thought you weren't kidding, until I hit the last line.

saltwaterkiss26 said:

:lol: For about a split second I thought you weren't kidding, until I hit the last line.

yes, sarcasm definitely intended!
it just seemed odd that u2 was being compared to an 80s artifact such as leg warmers in that article.
i think i read too much into that little piece of journalism.
anyway......

Back
Top Bottom