(10-28-2004) Rumor: Grammys, Another Round for U2? -- Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Rumor: Grammys, Another Round for U2?

An "anonymous source" has let us know that U2 have been submitted in the following categories for the Grammys:

Best Rock Song (Vertigo)

Record of the Year

Song of the Year

Hopefully, we'll have more information about this in the near future.

As a measure to verify this source, their identity and proof of information has been verified and cross checked.

Thanks 'a.s.'!

Isn't the cutoff date for the Grammys October 31, making 'Vertigo' ineligible since the record doesn't come out until November 8?

This is the same reason ATYCLB wasn't up for Album until the 2002 Grammys.

No it is eligible because it has been released officially in the USA on radio. Just like Beautiful Day was released on radio in mid September in 2000. So basically the same deal that happened with ATYCLB where U2 won 3 grammies for BD, and then 4 grammies for walk on, SIAM, and Elevation could happen again this time round with Vertigo possibly receiving 3 awards and the album being voted for the following year.
Be absolutely amazing if they won those 3 awards again... that would be 3 Records of the Year, and 2 Songs of the Year in the last 5 yrs... not a bad feat if you ask me.

WHYWHY.

it kind of bugs me that a song that's only been in the airwaves for a few weeks and isn't yet commercially available (other than downloading it from iTunes) is possibly nominated for at least one Grammy.

They should, yeah still pick the nominees in October but have the qualifying cut-off date several months earlier. You gotta admit it's a bit dumb having the cut-off date the same time as they nominate. What if a song aired on October 31st and they heard it once and though "oh, that sounds fantastic, lets have it as a nominee for best song"....some songs begin to suck after you've heard then long enough while others grow on you.

I'm not saying anything bad about Vertigo, I love it, but would rather that it be nominated next October after the song has been around for a bit.

Anyway, i don't believe I'm even mentioning anything at all because actually I detest music awards events.....but I hope they win anyway. :)

It this news is "official", I say - :up:

I have EVERY CONFIDENCE that 2005 will be the year that U2 finally receives ALL THE HONOR that their GLORIOUS LIFELONG CAREER deserves!:hug:

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:larry: :adam: :edge: :bono: :love:

hmmm I'm not so sure
I think the Grammys are a bit rubbish really especially when they keep choosing U2 songs. it is a good song, but beautiful day is better and has stood the test of time. I think Vertigo is in the Discotheque category. A great first single, but will not last

matt76 said:
hmmm I'm not so sure
I think the Grammys are a bit rubbish really especially when they keep choosing U2 songs. it is a good song, but beautiful day is better and has stood the test of time. I think Vertigo is in the Discotheque category. A great first single, but will not last

i agree...BD was well recieved on every radio station and everybody loved it. Vertigo doesnt do what BD did

It took Beautiful Day a while to get going....I've heard Vertigo a lot more on the radio in the early going than I did Beautiful Day. I do doubt that Vertigo will explode like Beautiful Day did, but it will still be a big-sized U2 hit, as it already is on many accounts.

AND Vertigo will win the Grammy!! what else is out there that can compete at this moment?? Beyonce? Outkast? Alicia Keys? who else is there? what rock bands are out there?? The Killers, The Hives, Green Day? I don't think there is any other rock band that I can think of right now that will compete with U2 and Vertigo.

Here was the eligibility requirement for last year, I would assume the requirement for this year would be the Oct 1 to Sept 30 again. I think the iPod and radio releases for "Vertigo" satisfy these requirements.

For the 46th Annual GRAMMY Awards, recordings must be released from October 1, 2002 to September 30, 2003. Recordings must be in general distribution in the U.S., i.e. sales by label to a branch or recognized independent distributor, via Internet, or mail order/retail sales for a nationally marketed product.

SkeeK said:
no way is vertigo song of the year. sorry.

Thats what many claimed about "Beautiful Day" and they were of course, wrong!:wink:

spencr00 said:

i agree...BD was well recieved on every radio station and everybody loved it. Vertigo doesnt do what BD did

Vertigo is already blowing "Beautiful Day" away on the charts without a video. Its already up to #32 this week on the HOT 100! Beautiful Day in its 5th week had yet to crack the top 50! Within Two weeks, Vertigo could be higher on the charts than Beautiful Day ever was even at its peak popularity which yielded a #21 position on the HOT 100.

matt76 said:
hmmm I'm not so sure

I totally agree.

Let's see how Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own and City of Blinding Lights sound. I bet they could be better songs.

Yeah agree with you windmilllane, I think Veritgo is the build up and the nxt singles will really kick off.. A lot of bands often don't release the best single at the beginning. beautiful day I still stand by and say that it was just a perfect song, Pop, rock everything, Veritgo is not..

Vertgo may well be top of the hot 100 or whatever, but I reckon that is because it is the first new material (off a new album) for such a long time. This is the longest U2 has gone without releasing a new Studio album, this is why vertigo is so big.. In the UK I just don't think it is as popular as beautiful day... it is a good song though no doubt about it.

Back
Top Bottom