(10-27-2004) A Perfect Formula -- Crazewire*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.crazewire.com/artwork/features/bands/cw.u2.vertigo.jpg[/SIMG]
A Perfect Formula

New U2 single Vertigo has fans begging for further instruction on the handling of explosives.

by Arya Imig
Features

On first listen, U2's new single "Vertigo", released to radio September 24, has nothing to say about war, third world debt, AIDS, or the post-9/11 world it's being released in. In fact, on first listen, U2's deceptively simple new single doesn't seem to have anything to say at all. With a Spanish spoken count-in that jumps from three to fourteen, Vertigo's music is immediately danceable, and rocks out as promised. Purported to be part of their response to the 'garage rock' boom of the last few years, the song contains aural traces of The Vines, and The Hives, but also has some pretty signature U2 moments. Adam Clayton's furious bass ramblings, The Edge's swirling guitar solo, Larry Mullen Jr's swinging and thrashing drum rhythm, and Bono's urgent cries combine to bring U2 into the 21st Century at last.

One definition of vertigo is "a confused, disoriented state of mind.", and after the first couple of listens, it hits you. U2's new single has lyrics with a mentality of someone trapped in the party scene who suddenly realizes that the cocaine they're taking isn't bringing them any closer to their potential. This is familiar territory for U2 (think "Discotheque"). "Hello, Hello", Bono sings, calling out from the depths of where he is. About two and a half minutes in, Bono, in another voice, says "All this, all this can be yours; All of this, all of this can be yours, All this, all of this can be yours, Just give me what I want, And no one gets hurt" Could it be Macphisto, Bono's early Nineties Satan incarnation, offering you an eternal party in exchange for your soul?

"It's everything I wish I didn't know," sings Bono about his dizzying state, "But you give me something I can feel." He's swirling downward, fading fast, but he sees this light at the top that he keeps reaching for. Could be God, or could be a girl: "Girl with crimson nails Has Jesus 'round the neck" It's whatever it is, the answers we seek or the questions we live with, that keeps us waking up.

U2's new single "Vertigo", released to radio September 24, says a million different things about what it's like to be living in these times, so different than and so the same as any other. We want to party, we want to consume, but with every drink we feel like we're further from where we need to be. U2's new single rocks like you're dancing at the apocalypse. It keeps you hanging on, though. It's still a beautiful day.

U2's forthcoming album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, from which the single Vertigo is taken, will be released in the U.S. November 23.

--Crazewire

dsmith2904 said:
combine to bring U2 into the 21st Century at last.

what????

like the world's biggest band is the world's biggest band because they're way behind everybody else???

idiot

it's like the grammy's never happened!

Despite the armchair high-school analysis of some, I'd say this article is pretty on-target. If you don't think U2 have allowed themselves to modernize via influence from the likes of the Hives and the Vines, you're missing it a bit... Just my opinion

Listen to the guitar riff in "Get Free" and then listen to "Vertigo." There are similarities. But there are only so many chords one can play. It doesn't bother me, and I doubt it was any attempt to sound that similar. I think the stylistic reference was definitely intentional, but there's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from another band, younger or older. U2 did their own thing with it. It's cool.

Agree completely. I bet we hear quite a few little bits here and there from the stollen outtakes ... I am not trying to imply that U2 has stollen or copied anything, but taking influences from others is a GOOD thing... :)

Re: Re: (10-27-2004) A Perfect Formula -- Crazewire*

ewen said:

what????

like the world's biggest band is the world's biggest band because they're way behind everybody else???

idiot

it's like the grammy's never happened!

Thank you! :up:

I read that quote and thought, "What the f*ck?!"

What is "the 21st century?" Britney? Eminem? Coldplay? Some of these artists are talented and some have great songs, but are they that original? Britney is singing similar to the styles of the 80's and Madonna of the 90's. In fact, Britney's latest is a remake of a song from that era. Eminem often has great beats, but also uses sampling from that era as well. In other words, I'm not hearing anything so revolutionary that I thought U2 were left behind.

And as you astutely stated, 7 Grammy Awards for one album strongly suggests that U2 *are* the sound of the 2000's.

Some people are without clue. :rolleyes:

at a certain point of the article, you find this phrase:
"It keeps you hanging on".

Well, my father told me that Vertigo sounds a bit like a song called "you just keep me hangin' on", sung by Kim Wild (or a similar name).
I guess you know the song -- here some lyrics
"set me free why don't cha babe
get out my life, why can't you babe
set me free why don't cha babe
you just keep me hangin' on ...."

Did anyone notice that?

as for the similies with Hives and Vines ... dunno them!

I think the writer is simply implying that since this is U2's first new album of the 21st century(if you go by the premise that the millenium started in 2001), they are swaggering in with style.

Back
Top Bottom