(10-26-2005) U2 pays tribute to Rosa Parks in Detroit - UPI*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 pays tribute to Rosa Parks in Detroit

DETROIT, Oct. 26 (UPI) -- U2 paid tribute to the late Rosa Parks at its concert Tuesday outside Detroit, the civil rights pioneer's hometown.

Playing at the Palace of Auburn Hills in suburban Detroit, U2 frontman Bono invoked Parks' name in "Pride (In The Name Of Love)" and "Where The Streets Have No Name." He then dedicated "One" to Parks, telling the 20,000-plus in attendance that "because of her quiet dignity and strength, America became a better, changed country."

He added that the "journey of equality continues today. We will carry it on. God bless you in your rest."

Parks made history in 1955 in Montgomery, Ala., when she refused to give up her seat on a public bus to a white man, as law dictated. She became the rallying point for a boycott that was one of the first successful demonstrations of the civil liberties movement.

Parks died Monday at the age of 92 in Detroit, where she'd lived since 1957. Her funeral will take place November 2nd at the city's Greater Grace Temple church.

© Copyright 2005 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20051026-101602-4447r

:sad: RIP Rosa Parks you are a true insperation for people like me. I gew up hearing the story of your bravery and determination. I am so honored that my favorite band feels the same way about you and your cause . Thank you Rosa Parks:sad:

Thanks Bono, as usual you were able to use the most simple and touching and right words to express what we all are feeling.

Back
Top Bottom