(10-26-2004) iPod U2 Special Edition -- Apple.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://images.apple.com/ipod/u2/images/indexfrontbackse10262004.jpg[/SIMG]
iPod U2 Special Edition

Paint it Black
Like no other, iPod U2 Special Edition stands out. Jet black, it bears a prominent red Apple Click Wheel and, on the flip side, the autographs of each U2 band member. Available for just $349, it comes with an exclusive U2 poster and, of course, the signature white iPod earbuds. As an extra special treat, it includes an iTunes Music Store coupon you can use to get $50 off your purchase of “The Complete U2.” As unique as the iPod itself, this digital boxed set brings together an amazing 400 U2 tracks. Songs span the band’s celebrated career. From “Boy” to “War” to “The Joshua Tree” to “Zooropa” to the soon-to-be-released “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb,” it includes every U2 album and brings us over 25 rare and unreleased tracks. Look for it on the iTunes Music Store at the end of November.

All I Want Is You
Like other members of the iPod family, iPod U2 Special Edition makes listening to music sheer delight. The fabulous Apple Click Wheel lets you scroll through all your songs, albums and playlists effortlessly. And you can certainly keep plenty of your music on this 20GB iPod. In fact, after purchasing and downloading “The Complete U2,” you’ll still have enough room for as many as 4,600 other songs.

No matter how much music or how many Audiobooks you bring with you, however, iPod Special Edition remains small and light enough to carry in your pocket: it’s no bigger than a pack of playing cards and weighs just 5.6 ounces. It also offers up to 12 hours of battery life, so you can listen to music practically all day.(2) And thanks to 25 minutes of skip protection, you can lead a really active lifestyle — jogging, bicycling, skate- or snowboarding — without missing a beat.

What’s more, with iPod Special Edition, you enjoy the best auto-sync in the industry. Just connect iPod to your Mac or PC, and iTunes takes care of business, keeping both iTunes and iPod in perfect harmony. Whether you’ve imported new tunes from CDs or downloaded and purchased them from the iTunes Music Store, iTunes will quickly move them to iPod. Create any On-the-Go Playlists? iTunes will spot those right away, add them to your existing playlists, and update play counts and ratings at the same time.

indexalbumse10262004.jpg

indexposterse10262004.jpg

For more on the U2 iPod, visit www.apple.com/ipod/u2.

--Apple.com

I don't see the value of buying this. They just slapped U2's name on it, called it a "special edition", and changed its colors.

Big deal- they offer you a U2 itunes coupon. I already have all this music from Boy onward + B-sides and rarities.

They should have released this with the color screen - at least that would have been cutting edge (no pun intended). And I can get a iPod skin that makes any iPod look black.

The U2 iPod appears to be just a bunch of fancy marketing. And I would be the first in line to say it's awesome - but this product seems lackluster and average.

Thoughts?

Aaron

While somewhat underwhelming for the hardcore fans, the U2 iPod is a rather effective entree for the band to the younger digital-minded set. It's unlikely that any true U2 fan wouldn't already have most of the music that's in this complete digital collection. That said, the 25 unreleased rarities raise some interest.

It does seem somewhat odd that the U2 iPod isn't also one of the Photo iPods, but then the price really would've been exorbitant, and Apple is trying to appeal to music listeners in particular. And from any U2 fan's perspective, it is cool to have the band member's autographs engraved on the back.

Sharik said:
..It's unlikely that any true U2 fan wouldn't already have most of the music that's in this complete digital collection. That said, the 25 unreleased rarities raise some interest...

It does seem somewhat odd that the U2 iPod isn't also one of the Photo iPods, but then the price really would've been exorbitant, and Apple is trying to appeal to music listeners in particular. And from any U2 fan's perspective, it is cool to have the band member's autographs engraved on the back.

:yes: i wanted to get one anyway, i think what sold me was the +25 unreleased tracks and the autographs

Aaron... What could they have done to please you? Whatever colour scheme / design they could have chosen wouldn't have been good enough for you, cause as you say, you can just slap on a skin. (I'm sorry, but slapping on a skin is not going to have the same feel and easthetics as a jet black iPod with a Vertigo matching click wheel).

And you say you have every song, so nothing really could have been done for you in that department. But don't say its not value. 400 U2 songs for $149 - $50 coupon equals 25¢ a song. All digitized pristinely with included artwork. Several exclusives and rarities. Worth every penny if you ask me.

Just a bunch of fancy marketing.... Well duh... Pretty freakin huge fancy marketing if you ask me.

Apple gets it. U2 gets it. I get it.

I was trying to figure out how to justify it, how to make it worth my money, but umm I'd really prefer to have the full quality songs from CD as opposed to 400 128kbps lossy files, and want a player that can play loseless.

I'm an Apple loyalist who will get rid of her Mac when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers. That fact is making the decision to buy a $349 gadget that's really not in my budget much easier to make!

I'm going to buy it through my local Apple Store, where I bought my sweet iBook last November. Supposedly they'll call me when they get the iPods in.

Hello,

I posted this one also in the thread about the 400 U2 songs (the iTunes digital box set), but it's maybe more appropriate here.

I just saw the Dutch site of iTunes (launched today). There it says you can buy the U2 iPod for EUR 379. This sucks! It's more expensive than the US$ 349, a whole lot more if you consider that 1 euro = 1.28 dollar nowadays (so the Euro iPod is US$ 483, while the US iPod is only EUR 274). :angry:

Plus, it doesn't work with Linux.
:angry:

Marty

I was looking to get the G5 and the ipod a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe the timing... I preordered today.
Yes I believe this is the best marketing they have done to date, hey it got me to switch over. I've been a PC user my whole life. Now I plan to attend my free "switch over at 6" class at my local Apple store. HORA!!!

Techie2000 said:
and want a player that can play loseless.

Actually, the iPod can play quite a few formats: AAC, MP3, non-drm wma, aiff, wav and lossless. In fact, you can encode in the lossless format right within iTunes and save up to 50% in filesize compared to wav/aiff without any loss of sound quality. Full cd quality at halve the size, not bad eh?

Weird. People who know me know me to be an Apple freek and a U2 freek. Now they see this and think I am in the middle of a conspiracy! jk

If I wasn't living in poverty (according to John "Freekin' Scary" Kerry) I would want a U2 iPod. But if I had to put away my spare pennies I would get the iPod Photo and load the U2 songs myself.

Ah. It is cool. It would make my iBook look silly all dressed in white! I think I would need to get a nice silver Powerbook too. My my "dreams be realized".

macsterdam said:

Actually, the iPod can play quite a few formats: AAC, MP3, non-drm wma, aiff, wav and lossless. In fact, you can encode in the lossless format right within iTunes and save up to 50% in filesize compared to wav/aiff without any loss of sound quality. Full cd quality at halve the size, not bad eh?
Hrmm, after checking, you appear to be correct. I am now reconsidering my iPod purchase. The only other thing is, I would hope/wish they offer the U2 package in loseless...

Techie2000 said:
Hrmm, after checking, you appear to be correct. I am now reconsidering my iPod purchase. The only other thing is, I would hope/wish they offer the U2 package in loseless...

That's not going too happen, unless I'm very wrong. Downloading those files would be to bandwidth intensive ergo very expensive for the hosting party

If I sacrifice my Play Station 2, I will be able to buy it, interesting dilemma :hmm:

Well, here is what I think, It's a good marketing tool. They are both selling there product. I've been wanting to get one for a while now. But, being a U2 fan that I am, seeing this new U2i-pod, it's a must have. Yes, like many of you, I have there whole entire library and don't need to download every song cause chances are, I already have them. What Im curious about is those 25 rare songs. I debating wether to get it or not. It's a lot of money specially when you are strapped for cash. But, I'm gonna make everyone chip in for my christmas present instead of receiving anything else. I want this so bad!!!:huh:

:sad:

U2 + iPod = sellout. There goes my respect for what used to be a class band.

Back
Top Bottom