(10-25-2004) Band Aid III: Ure All in My Band -- Sunday Mail*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Band Aid III: Ure All in My Band

Midge Ure reveals his line-up for charity single 20 years after original smash hit

By Billy Sloan

MIDGE URE has revealed he wants Coldplay's Chris Martin and Tom Chaplin of Keane to sing the opening lines of the Band Aid III single.

'I fancy getting Coldplay and Keane to sit at facing pianos across the studio to open the song,' said Midge last night. 'Wouldn't that sound amazing?

'I spoke to Fran Healy of Travis yesterday and he's well up for taking part too.'

Other big names signed up for the new version of charity hit Do They Know It's Christmas? include Noel Gallagher, Jamelia, The Darkness, Dido and Blur's Damon Albarn.

Midge, who gave me a sneak preview of his dream for the new Band Aid project, said: 'I got in touch with Nigel Godrich, who is in Los Angeles working on Paul McCartney's new album, and he's agreed to produce the single.

'I'll oversee things and keep it within the realms of reasonable taste.'

Midge co-wrote the song with ex-Boomtown Rat Bob Geldof after being inspired by Michael Buerk's harrowing news report on the famine in Ethiopia for BBC news.

They recorded the track - recruiting star pals such as Duran Duran, Sting, Paul Weller, George Michael, Paul Young, Phil Collins and Boy George - in just 24 hours in London.

It became the Christmas No.1 in 1984 and every penny from sales helped raise millions to buy supplies for starving children in Africa.

Geldof even browbeat Margaret Thatcher to urge the Government to waive VAT on each single sold.

At first she refused but the VAT cash was given as a donation to Band Aid after pressure from the public.

Do They Know It's Christmas? was a hit for a second time in 1989 when the song was covered Kylie Minogue, Bros, Jason Donovan, Cliff Richard, Lisa Stansfield and Wet Wet Wet.

Midge hasn't yet worked out exactly who will be the featured vocalists on the third version But Bono of U2 will be asked to recreate his original line: 'Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you.'

Midge told me: 'There are only about 10 lines of lyrics that you can give to individual singers.

'It will just be very exciting to get all those different artists into the same room. That's what made the 1984 version so great.

'We could have recorded this new single without getting any of the bands together. When the BBC made their all-star version of Perfect Day each act recorded their parts separately.

'I'd rather not do that. There's something magical about the concept of Travis, Keane, Coldplay and The Darkness all being in the same room.

'That's what the fans want to see. Imagine being a fly-on-the-wall when Noel Gallagher and Damon Albarn turn up.'

--Sunday Mail

Thanks sue4u2!

Still, the line is weird. "...thank God it's them, instead of you." I understand the urgency of the sentiment, but the line isn't ringing with empathy and if Bono sings it again, he should change it to "tonite thank God it's not here, it's not you"...or something.

No. Don't change it. It's very much a dark statement, and a relevant one. It's sort of challenging those who just dismiss it.

Back
Top Bottom