(10-21-2004) Fans return notes stolen from Bono 23 years ago - The Oregonian*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Fans return notes stolen from Bono 23 years ago

Irish musician Bono began his appearance Wednesday night at the Rose Garden with a surprise announcement that could make music news around the world. He said two women returned notes and lyrics that were stolen from him 23 years ago when U2 played a Portland club called The Foghorn.

The lyrics were for U2's second album, "October," which came out belatedly because of the theft. Bono called the returned notes "an act of grace."

"You will never know how much that means to me," Bono said.

Danielle Rheaume of Vancouver, B.C., and Cindy Harris of Tacoma were the U2 fans who returned the stolen notes and lyrics.

Harris said she discovered a stiff brown Samsonite-style briefcase stuffed with about 70 pages of notes in the attic of a rental house in Tacoma in 1981.

The pages included photographs of the band; Bono's passport with his given name, Paul D. Hewson; and letters between the band and early fans and U2's managers. The notes included ideas for songs, including some that seemed to appear in later records, but they were not "polished," Rheaume said.

Harris, 44, said she was a U2 fan at the time, and has been ever since, but did not know the notes had been stolen until many years later. Busy with child-rearing, she said she did not know how to reach the band to return the notes.

In October 2003, she met Rheaume, 27, at work in the personnel department for Washington state. Rheaume spent much of the past year contacting U2's management, attempting to meet them in the United States to return the notes.

-- Dylan Rivera

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/109836029611900.xml

:shocked:

I wonder if we'll ever hear the songs to these lyrics

Last edited:
WOW :faint: Man, I never thought those lyrics would turn up...EVER. Sweet Jesus, I am genuinely bewildered by this news :ohmy: That was a nice thing Danielle Rheaume and Cindy Harris did...they could have easily kept the materials with no intention whatsoever of returning them to their rightful owner. Thumbs :up: for the goodness of people :D

Like they say: What you do, will come back to you.
*kind of the modified version on "do unto others".. you know*

Apparently it work's. :wink:

On another note, we probably have heard some of the lyrics that he could remember. Another future project for Bono,
Missing Lyrics... the Book. :bono:

A U2 fan finds a briefcase with Bono's passport, notes, photos, personal letters, etc. in 1981 and keeps it for 23 years because she didn't know it was lost/stolen and was too busy to try and return it? I find that very strange, but I'm glad she finally gave it back.

Wow, interesting end (or is it..?) to a very Old U2 story. Weird to see it show up now.

:shocked: The infamous October briefcase? Do they realize how much grief that caused poor B??

Well, I guess it's good it's back...?

What a load of rubbish!!
Its been well documented ever since the things were stolen!!

Not much of a U2 fan fancy keeping them for 23 years even his bloody passport give me a break!!

Bono's Tart said:
What a load of rubbish!!
Its been well documented ever since the things were stolen!!

Not much of a U2 fan fancy keeping them for 23 years even his bloody passport give me a break!!

Bono's Tart, I agree. How hard was it to contact the band in 1981?

Edited to add: Check out u2log for pix of the stolen case's contents (it's lot's of stuff, including photographs)! Still think this is fishy!

Last edited:
She may very well have been the one who took the case, or she knew the person who did. Don't forget that also inside that briefcase was a load of cash. It's easier to say she "found it". At least it's finally been returned.

Kelly, I just came back to say the same thing. Wow! U2 log has the most amazing report on this, with pictures of the contents.
Check it out!!

Yeah, I read about this in "The Oregonian" this morning! I almost spit out the milk I was drinking. LOL.

I mean, holy crap... THE October lyrics. It's great that it's finally been returned, but 23 years...? C'mon, lady, what were you waiting for? LOL. She says she was a U2 fan then -- wouldn't she of heard about his stuff being stolen? It's not like no one knew about it...

<--color me confused! lol.

Last edited:
:shocked: Shocking (though, finding hard believing that lady). This must be the most fantastic thing to happen to Bono these days, who probably didn't think would see those again. I'm so happy for him.

Yeesh! :ohmy: Just looked at those pics on u2log. That's really something.

I can't say I would have returned them. I mean, I wouldn't have stolen them in the first place, but WOW. It does make one suspicious, hmm? :hmm:

Interesting also that whoever took the case actually kept it. I think that means that whoever took it was a fan at the time. If not, they would have just kept the cash and ditched the contents. The average opportunistic thief would have had no interest in a bunch of notes and pictures. Sounds like the long-delayed surfacing of a guilty conscience to me.

Last edited:
Does anyone else think they they are gonna try to record the lost material and release it (i was thinking in the same way as Brian Wilson did for Smile)

:shocked:

:hmm: I wonder if they could retrace the ownership of the house and question the former occupants. Lie detector test and everything.

I'll practically guarantee that the one who "found" it was the one who took it. It is very convenient to return it now and claim she found it. There's probably no way to prove it. But this is akin to knowing someone you work with stole something, then you announce, "I'll leave the office now, so whoever took it, just put it back, no one will know you took it, and you can save face." At this point it was risk free, and she now feels a burden was lifted.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the lyrics end up being used in parts of future songs. I doubt they will show up in their intended songs, live or otherwise.

How did U2log get those pics!?!?! THAT is fishy....is Bono so over the moon about this that he took them over to Edge's place today and had him upload them?!?! I mean, if this was highly personal stuff, I doubt all of it was in the public eye.

What I'd love to see is someof those lyrics that Danielle recognized came from "later" albums. I'd give half a paycheck to know which of U2's late 80's classics were born in the October Era.

I believe in this stuff though. I don't think this was an accident, in the way you mean. The lyrics for "October", stolen in Oct 1981, returned in the same city in Oct 2004? There's no way he could have arranged this.

I believe in these crazy stories of seeming divine intervention. I think this happened for a purpose. After all, I became a Christian on May 10, 1988 and didn't even realize it was Bono's birthday at the time. God has a strange sense of humor:). (What is that now immortal Bono quote--"God must have a strange sense of humor if He's got me on board"?)From what we have been able to read of the HTDAAB lyrics, Bono right now is in a period of great personal despair. These notes and lyrics come from what must have been the happiest part of Bono's life up until that point, just after he'd become a Christian and married Ali, when he was full of hope and joy and he had his life ahead of him. I wonder how he is feeling reading this stuff. It must sound like it came from outer space. However, some of the old Bono must be buried in there. I can't help thinking--and wondering if he thinks this--that maybe these notes from a former life, where meant to be read, as a comfort to him, and perhaps as amuch-ndded shot in the arm. God speaking in a strange and much-needed way?

Please don't think I'm:coocoo: . I've had far toomany "random" things happen in my life to me out of the blue, which months or even yrs later tunred out to be profound blsessings and life-changing events though I didn't realize it at the time, for me to totally dismiss the possibly deeper future implications of this.

However it came about, I too beleive this was an "act of grace."

(and "grace makes beauty out of ugly things..."):wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom