(10-19-2004) U2, Apple in iPod Deal -- Billboard*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 in Apple, iPod Deal

By Carolyn Horwitz

NEW YORK (Billboard) - U2 and Apple Computer Inc. are expected to announce next week that they have signed a deal to sell custom iPods.

According to a source, the Irish rock band's upcoming album "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," due Nov. 23 via Interscope Records, will come preloaded on iPods that will be available the week of street date.

Interscope, a unit of Universal Music Group, declined to comment; an Apple spokesperson could not be reached.

E-mails from Apple chairman and CEO Steve Jobs and U2 members Bono and the Edge have invited members of the press to a "special event" scheduled for Oct. 26 in San Jose, Calif.

U2's new single "Vertigo" is featured in current television ads for the iPod. The track is currently No. 2 on Billboard's airplay-based Modern Rock Tracks chart, and No. 44 on the Hot 100, which is based on both retail sales and radio airplay.

Damn, I'm going to be in LA on Tuesday or I'd try to find a way in. Anyone in the South Bay trying to get into this event? Someone must have an Apple connection!

i don't like apples, prefer cherry:wink:
it's my first post so must be strange:wave:

Just that week? They're going to be worth a lot of money later, then. Man, I'm gonna have to start selling shit if I plan on getting this. I should just sell all my non-U2 posessions.

Rumors on this surfaced yesterday and Forbes.com is confirming it...the U2 edition of iPod will come preloaded with the band's new album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, along with portions of the group's 25-year catalog. The iPods will be black and will be made available the same week as the band's 11th studio album, to be released on November 23.

The custom iPods are part of a larger agreement between the band and Apple. The company will have exclusive rights to sell all the songs from the new album online through its iTunes Music Store for at least the first few weeks following the release.

U2 and Interscope will split a standard royalty for each song downloaded (about $0.60 per download), plus an upfront licensing fee. In return, the band shot a 30-second commercial pushing its latest single, Vertigo, on iTunes. The spot, a cross between a music video and Apple's catchy silhouette ad campaign, is now in heavy rotation on prime-time TV. Vertigo has topped the iTunes download charts since its debut three weeks ago.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/ebusiness/2004/10/18/cx_mm_1018aapl.html

word is it will run about $30 more than the normal one

Last edited:
yeah getting one past the week might be hard too...black friday is that week as well.

Back
Top Bottom