(10-18-2004) U2-edition iPod Coming? - ThinkSecret*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2-edition iPod Coming?

Apple and U2's relationship is only warming up, multiple source say. The band has already released its new single exclusively through the iTunes Music Store, threatened to release the entire album through iTunes if it leaks early, and has recorded a 2-minute commercial for Apple. Up next: a U2-edition iPod, tipsters say.

While Think Secret has been unable to confirm this with one-hundred percent certainty, sources say that Apple is planning to release the U2-edition iPod around the week of November 21, when U2's new album will hit stores. For a small premium over the regular iPod, said to be around $30, the U2-edition iPod will feature a distinctive enclosure and will come pre-loaded with all the band's major album releases.

Lending credibility to this rumor is Apple's own CFO, Peter Oppenheimer, who during last week's conference call discussing earnings openly volunteered that more Apple-U2 collaborations are due "in the coming weeks."

A U2-edition iPod would not mark the first the company has partnered with an artist. In December, 2002, Apple offered limited-edition "signature iPods" bearing the laser-engraved autographs of Madonna, Tony Hawk, No Doubt, and Beck on the back. The signature iPods carried a $49 premium over regular iPods.

--By Ryan Katz, Senior Editor

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0410briefly.html

I was feeling old until youtwohearts response! :wink: I may have to join the young-uns and actually get one of these things!! I'll feel ever so hip if I do!

(Youtwohearts - it's a little device that you download songs onto, then you can carry it around and listen to it. I"m sure someone younger and more with it can give you more details!)

'Signiature-I Pods' sound rather silly...I mean, if some MAJOR U2 FAN has always wanted an Ipod, what's going to make him get a 'U2-Pod' if it's pre-loaded with albums (s)he already has...? And anyone getting into U2 may find themselves feeling silly for forking out that little bit extra only to find they only actually like 'Vertigo' and think most of U2's back catalogue is rubbish...

Nonetheless if I threw money around so easily I would obviously get one as an Ipod has always been tempting...:wink:

God Dammit. the only reason i won't buy one of these is because i already spent 450 bucks on the one I have now a couple months ago. DAMN MY TIMING!

i almost bought one a few months back then i remembered the rumors about this partnership, so i held out. i think i might go in on this, especially if this is true--->atu2.com article says that the entire catalog of music might be included-

"Update: An @U2 reader tells us he received an email last month from a music store which dropped a hint that the U2-themed iPod would contain U2's entire catalog, not just the albums. The plot thickens!"

Stars...when you're done with your paperbag hand it over
:wink:

I've got a 3rd generation that has been begging to be upgraded - this is going to push me over the edge
appartenly between u2 and apple I will be single handedly helping boost the economy.

I've wanted an iPod for awhile now... but if they actually release that I am SO getting one. I don't care if I have to get off my lazy ass and actually get a job, I'll do anything. Hell I'll start selling my manga and CD's and shit. A U2 iPod...two brilliant things in one :drool: and with their entire song catalouge...:drool: couldn't get any better than that

mofo82.....when you are done with that paperbag hand it over here!!!:sick: and then I am gonna :faint: or :barf:

I have been wanting one too for quite a while...

<<<will be asking Santa for a U2 iPod! and if he forgets to bring it I am gonna have to kick some saint nick arse!! :wink:

:wave:U2Fanatic4ever, just wanted to say hi neighbor! I used to live in Bonita, now I'm just a mile from Southwestern College.

If the ipod has more than HTDAAB I want one for sure!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom