(10-18-2004) Bono Threatens Franz Ferdinand -- contactmusic*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Threatens Franz Ferdinand

Irish rocker BONO has vowed to make FRANZ FERDINAND's lives a misery for trying to steal U2's place as one of the world's biggest bands.

Bono is convinced the Scottish TAKE ME OUT foursome will become more popular than his band, but he refuses to let them take U2's place too easily.

He says, "Franz Ferdinand make me a bit nervous. They give me a bit of a twitch. The only people who have the confidence to praise people who came before them, are guys who are absolutely sure that they 're going to pass you by, and they should be confident.

"We're certainly not going to make it easy for them. Instead we're going to make their lives miserable for the next few years. How incredibly embarrassing is it going to be in five years time when we're still the best band in the world?"

--contactmusic

:eyebrow: Franz Ferdinand :eyebrow: is a nice band.. but they will never be ass big as U2... why: because every single song sounds the same to me... and a lot of other people in my enviorement say the same!

and beside that my mother, father and family will never listen to Franz Ferdinand....
and: U2 they like and own CD's from...

so to conclude Bono don't be afraid in 5 years U2 will still be the biggest en the best band in the world!!!

Last edited:
I don't even know what to say in regard to this. It seems ridiculous.

I love Franz Ferdinand, but they aren't even in the same league as U2.

Franz Ferdinand kick ass...especially live. Of course they don't compare to U2...it's only their first full-length album. Who knows if they'll even have a second or third album, let alone 12 (given the state of the music industry and how bands just aren't given the long-term support they need).

It's nice of Bono to compliment them though...in his own unique way.

I have seen Franz Ferdinand live, and U2 (of course). Franz Ferdinand, while a good rock band, is not in the same stratosphere as U2.

Is Bono joking? Franz Ferdinand has ONE hit single. ONE. I can name 20 bands that are more of a threat to become best act in the world than Franz. How about Coldplay?!?! Even Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is more of a threat right now than Franz.

Bono should re-think the competition here. I just don't see the genius or range of Franz beyond mainstream rock (see the Vines, Strokes, etc. etc.).

saltwaterkiss26 said:
I feel like there must have been a pre-story to this... :eyebrow:

In the "CD:UK" special, the hostess talked about bands who were coming up, like Coldplay and stuff. Then Bono mentioned how much he likes the FF single but followed up by talking about how U2 will still be the best band in the world five years from now.

Kids in Europe, please correct me, but FF is a really big band over there? In the US only one single has come out, but in the UK, etc., the band is huge, at least that's the impression I get from reading Q and Hot Press.

What a ridiculously sensational headline...:tsk:

Franz has what I think could be called regional success here in the US. Their shows in Atlanta sell out when they play. This Fire is currently being over played here...

They're not very popular here. I've never heard "Take Me Out" on the radio. Just on TV. Same with Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, except I last saw their video in 2001.

I didn't think they were all that popular here either. They're certainly not all over the place, and I've never heard anyone go nuts over them.

Perhaps I live in a bubble...

listen or buy the franz album...its some good stuff and not every song sounds the same. dont fall for the radio/ one hit single stuff. i dont think there are any fair comparisons to u2 that actually hold up. the only one i can think of that might hold up is by comparing their new album to 'boy', or franz now to u2 then. i encourage all who havent heard it to give it a spin. hell, even the B-man likes it, if that means anything.

Franz Ferdinand are ok.
The riff from Take Me Out sounds like a rip-off of The Fly, only slower IMO.
They are not an absolute sensation as the press may have you believe but they still have solid songs
i'll be a very happy man if our favorate band is still the best band in the world in 5 years time. Does anyone see that comment as a hint to when they expect to release an album next?

Last edited:
I don't think U2 have that much to worry about. Yeah, maybe someday a band will come along that will take U2's place as biggest band in the world, but somehow I don't think it's going to be Franz Ferdinand.

I do like FF though. Their first album is catchy as hell. It sounds like U2 think highly of them if they make them nervous. I hope they don't feel too threatened by them because I think it would be cool if they opened for U2 on their upcoming tour.

I am pretty sure this article was referring to comments made during the CD:UK interview.....if so, the author did a poor job of quoting and seems to be biased towards Franz Ferdinand.

Coldplay, Keane, and The Killers were also mentioned in the same context but I don't see their names in this article anywhere :eyebrow:

Last edited:
Is there any band/act that Bono has spoken down on???
(With the exception of perhaps Rollins and Negativland)

I would tend to think not :applaud: but am curious nonetheless!

:eyebrow: Gosh, I never even heard of them or anything by them! :eeklaugh: Maybe Bono Wants this band to be compition for them..you know, that 'it's loney at the top thing' the band keeps mentioning!:wink: guess they never saw themselves as teachers!:ohmy:

Who's Franz Ferdinand? Bono's "afraid" of someone I've never heard about? This must have an explanation, and he probably is not afraid.

Franz Ferdinand are great. So are Coldplay and Keane. I'm undecided on the Killers.

This is all Bono hype though. He regularly name checks the best bands of the time when he's promoting new U2.

I don't like him claiming U2 are 'the best' though. "Biggest" as they did last time around is cool, but "Best" puts peoples noses out of joint. One is a fun boast, the other can be read as arrogance etc by those who don't get his brand of over the top self hype.

But he is namechecking the right bands there, for the moment anyway....

you guys. bono was just joking around. he was paying a compliment to a band he thinks has some potential, is all. i love franz ferdinand. i saw um live. they've got potential. u2 will always be the best.

Back
Top Bottom