(10-12-2004) New iPod Ad Features U2 -- MacCentral*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big Yankee fan and Bigger U2 fan....

Caught the commercial.. I was floored!!!!!!

Bono looks great... He epitomizes the rock and roll image.

Sucks that they only showed it twice during a freakin four-hour game.

Oh well, at least the Yanks won.. It got scary, but Mariano got it done. Amazing that he wasn't even in the country when the day began...

To Sox fans:

WHO'S YOUR DADDY?????

ehMac said:
If it was a commercial for Microsoft... it would of been a sell out. Because its for Apple, its cool. :D

You're right :yes: You'll be happy to know that i just bought myself an I mac G5.

Hey U2, if any of you read this, I'll be the 6'7" guy in the front row of your Toronto show(s) wearing an orange (Nederland) t-shirt. :dance: Maybe I can buy you boys a Heineken or two. (Or 3 or 4)

What's the dutch connection here?

Well, here's my 2 cents, I support what they're doing as long as they dont use anything on their next tour that is merely advertising Apple or I-PODS as that would be a clear sell out imo!

All they're doing now is merely telling, indirectly tho, the public that the technology is available for the public and so on....perhaps even telling the public that U2 is still around in case they had all forgotten about them! lol :D (note: fat chance of that happening now that Vertigo is played out everywhere!)

BUT there would NO freaking way that U2 would use the name of Apple or I-Pods during their next tour and I dont believe they will...If that were to happen, Id be up in arms!

dougal

ipod_e6.gif

ipod_b9.gif

credit QB

From that article that was posted:
The ad is something of a switch for the Irish quartet, one of a handful of prominent rock acts who refuse on principle to allow their music to be used in commercials.

I still don't think it's quite that simple, that's it's that much of a switch. Like someone said, it's more of a self-advertisement than a pitch for iTunes. And if I was in a band that topped the download list for a week (or whatever it was) I'd make a commercial for myself.

U2Log has found this out about the video:

mark romanek has just completed "vertigo by U2" a new spot for apple ipod and itunes. the shooting for twba/chiat/day took place on september 18th and 19th at a west london soundstage and was—until its release this morning—shrouded in secrecy.

"vertigo by U2" was produced by line postmyr. the director of photgraphy was alwin küchler. the editor was glenn martin for nomad editorial. the production designer was darrell cooke and the stylist was mrs. jones. the executive producer for anonymous content was lisa margulis.

TwoAmericas said:
Big Yankee fan and Bigger U2 fan....

Caught the commercial.. I was floored!!!!!!

Bono looks great... He epitomizes the rock and roll image.

Sucks that they only showed it twice during a freakin four-hour game.

Oh well, at least the Yanks won.. It got scary, but Mariano got it done. Amazing that he wasn't even in the country when the day began...

To Sox fans:

WHO'S YOUR DADDY?????
:mad: I'm sure we're going to hear all those New Yorkers shut up!

:wink: I don't want to start a fight...but I couldn't let that one go!

One question: I want to see the 2-minute video, but do I have to sign up and pay to see it? I'm a little poor after the weekend...

:up: Thanks! I actually figured it out for myself! :D

ps that link doesn't work

Couple of points....

Vertigo was down to number four on the US iTunes Music store... now its back at #1. - U2 did the commercial to sell their music and the band.

Yesterday Apple gave their financial numbers for the last quarter. Biggest fourth quarter in 9 years because of.... the iPod. They sold 2,016,000 iPods in a 3 month period and that was with them not being even close to being able to make enough of the little devices. This is only going to get bigger and U2 are embracing the whole digital music revolution... yes revolution that is taking place.

In the press conference by Apple, Steve Jobs hinted at more things coming with U2. This WON'T being a "This tour sponsored by Apple" thing. No chance in hell. Its more like to be exclusive online sales of their album (that is, the only online store), exclusive singles, and the rumor that when they go on tour, you'll be able to buy recordings of the shows on iTMS.

----

Its so funny... I'm one of the world's biggest Apple fans and one of the biggest U2 fans... and all of a sudden the two world's collide. Its awesome! I nearly dropped out of my chair when I went to Apple.com in the morning as saw Bono screaming at me.

--

Regarding the question on the Holland connection in my previous post... was born in Canada but my heritage is Dutch... that's all. :wink:

ehMac said:

In the press conference by Apple, Steve Jobs hinted at more things coming with U2. This WON'T being a "This tour sponsored by Apple" thing. No chance in hell. Its more like to be exclusive online sales of their album (that is, the only online store), exclusive singles, and the rumor that when they go on tour, you'll be able to buy recordings of the shows on iTMS.

-

in the Vanity fair article it was hinted at that the upcoming tour will have a sponsor. so i think you may be wrong on your assumption here.
but i do hope you are right on with your point about the live stuff. having some live shows available on itunes during the tour will be phenomenal.

I REALLY hope U2 doesn't have a tour sponsor... but if there had to be one, I'd like it to be Apple.

Still don't think it will happen though... but much worse things could happen.

Back
Top Bottom