(10-08-2006) U2 to split from Island Records - New Zealand Herald*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 to split from Island Records

By Anthony Barnes

After 26 years and global sales of around 150 million albums, U2, arguably the world's biggest band, have quit the record label that discovered them.

Insiders claimed yesterday that the band's members, led by Bono, became fed up with the Island Records' senior management's "hands-off" approach towards them, despite their having generated hundreds of millions of pounds for the label.

Friends said yesterday that the final straw came during a recent recording session in London.

While Bono and the band worked on new tracks to add to their latest "Best of" compilation, no one from Island Records dropped by to meet them.

One observer claimed this "put their noses out of joint" and did nothing to help the deteriorating relationship.

Their closest ally at the label, the former general manager Jason Iley, was appointed managing director of Mercury Records last year, and the band have now followed him there.

U2 have frequently said they owe their career to Island and that its founding boss, Chris Blackwell, was instrumental to their career.

No other label had shown any interest in giving them a deal when the band were signed in 1980.

Despite leaving Island, the band will remain within the Universal Music Group.

The first release on the new label will be a charity single next month.

- INDEPENDENT

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=100&ObjectID=10404895

I bet the crap relationship contributed to U2 putting out this "Best Of" Best Of os they could get out of the contract. It's the final "Best of" in the contract, right?

coemgen said:
I bet the crap relationship contributed to U2 putting out this "Best Of" Best Of os they could get out of the contract. It's the final "Best of" in the contract, right?

Well, the new Best Of is supposedly coming out on Mercury, not Island, so it doesn't explain the contractual fulfillment argument really.

Eh...I thought they had moved from Island to Interscope a few years ago?:huh:

My guess.... the contract is with UMG, as UMG owns Island. With that in mind, I'm sure the contract is still fully intact.

The good news: With this and the new recording studio, I guess that means they won't stop making music any time soon.

last unicorn said:
The good news: With this and the new recording studio, I guess that means they won't stop making music any time soon.

I like the way you think.

Is Chris Blackwell still linked to Island? U2 without Island will be strange. Will miss the palm tree insignia on the CD cases. I suppose there has always been a rebellious left of centre atmosphere about Island Records; lets hope that is still reflected in U2s music.

Roland of Gilead said:
Is Mercury within Universal? I imagine it is.

Island and Mercury are pretty much joined at the hip.

-Record company merge histroy is quite complex but in 1998 Polygram, which owned Mercury, was bought out by Seagrams which then was absorbed into the Universal Music Group.

-In 1989, Island was bought out by Polygram which then was also bought out by Seagrams in '98 thenceforth was under UMG when that merge went down.

-In 1999 after the merge, UMG put the Island brand in control of 3 areas; in the UK - Island Mercury Group. In Germany - Island Mercury Labelgroup. In the US - Mercury dissolved and Island and Def Jam became Island Def Jam Music Group.

-In 2002 Island Mercury Group renamed itself Island Records Group.

In regards to Interscope Records. They were bought by by MCA Music(later UMG) in '95. Since 2000 UMG distributes U2 music under the Interscope/Island label in the US and Island/Island Music Group everywhere else.

Chris Blackwell in 1997 resigned or was fired from Island and now owns Palm Pictures, an entertainment company focusing on DVDs.

Last edited:
This was pretty obvious to me...Anyways, can't wait to hear the new song!

Gonna miss that little palm tree though.

470dk6t.jpg

We haven't had the palm tree in the US for quite some time because over here U2 is on Interscope, not Island.

I believe Steve Lillywhite is working in A&R for Mercury these days, which may be another reason why the band would want to work with that label instead.

I hope that the record labels will start paying attention to the complaints their artists have. When U2 was signed to Island way back when, Chris Blackwell had a very direct relationship with the band and gave U2 the opportunity to grow and improve. That doesn't happen any more and the music-buying public is losing because of it.

this reminds me of bono speaking at the rock and roll hall of fame about how record companies need to take a harder look at how they operate, he seemed like he had a bit of an edge, or like there was some backstory.

at any rate thats a massive change and who knows what kind of a fire it would set in the band

That's sad. I always thought it was so cool that U2 was still with their frst ever record company, it's one of those things that don't make them a rock n' roll cliche. Not that they are now. People who run Island Records must be really dumb for not treating the biggest (or at least second biggest) band in the world right. Too bad for them.

Slipstream said:
Gonna miss that little palm tree though.

470dk6t.jpg
True.

coemgen said:

That was the first thing that I had thought of.

Back
Top Bottom