(10-07-2005) With U2, shooting for a look - NYDN*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
With U2, shooting for a look

Anton Corbijn hints that being a blank slate was the secret to his success in photography and music videos.
"I learned how to work without knowing too much," Corbijn said via E-mail from his home in London. "And that, I guess, is what people call 'your style.'"

A visual clean slate themselves, then-unknown Dublin band U2 met the Dutch photographer more than 20 years ago and chose him to help define their image. About 30 pieces from the ensuing relationship are on display at the Stellan Holm Gallery. Another 350 are included in Corbijn's book "U2&i."

The images track the band from its boyish beginnings to its superstardom of today through portraits (including one of Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen Jr. and Adam Clayton posing with their fathers), performance shots and behind-the-scenes pictures such as "Bono's Trousers."

The stark black-and-white cover of the band's 1987 album "The Joshua Tree" exemplifies Corbijn's creativity presenting "four guys in a row" - his words.

"I think that there was a strong sense of 'a band' when I met U2 in 1982," Corbijn said. "But they just didn't seem to be able to get that feeling across visually. I guess I managed to translate this band into something that spoke to people."

Opening reception Sunday, 5-8 p.m. Show ends Oct. 15. 524 W. 24th St. (212) 627-7444. U2 plays Madison Square Garden tonight, tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday and next Friday.

Heather Fletcher
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/353183p-301124c.html

Back
Top Bottom