(10-07-2005) Geldof and Bono miss out on Nobel prize - ITN*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Geldof and Bono miss out on Nobel prize

Rock superstars Bono and Bob Geldof failed to win the Nobel Peace Prize after being named among the top contenders.

Commentators had placed the Irish pair high on the shortlist to scoop the prestigious prize.

Instead, The UN nuclear watchdog and its head, Mohamed ElBaradei, won the 2005 prize for their efforts to limit the spread of atomic weapons.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee picked the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and ElBaradei, an Egyptian, from a record field of 199 candidates.

The two had been among favourites for the award, on the 60th anniversary of the US atomic bombings of the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945.

Sir Bob and Bono were believed to have been nominated for the award for peace for their lengthy campaigns to ease hunger and poverty in Africa.

The former Boomtown Rats singer was among 37 people selected by Time magazine as its 2005 European Heroes for organising the Live 8 concerts, and joining forces with U2's Bono to call on people to march on the G8 summit.

The prize, named after Swedish philanthropist Alfred Nobel, is worth $1.3 million and is due to be handed out in Oslo on December 10.

http://www.itn.co.uk/news/1087106.html

Bono said on his interview last night he does not expect to win and there where many others much more deserving than himself.

There are a lot of people that deserves this. Just to get nominated is a big thing. I think it was the right person (organisation) that got the price this time. It is a very important thing these days. And it's 60 years since Nagasaki and Hiroshima - this year.
I know Bono felt humble just to get nominated. He has a chance in some years, I think, but I'm not sure if he really deserves it just yet (and please don't get me wrong).

Last edited:
I am kind of glad he didn't . only because I always get worried when the band is getting over hyped or over -exposed. They really are the greatest band ever . BUt too much PR ( even good PR ) can be bad. It seems there is an American thing we we like to see the mighty get humbled . Kind of like people like it that Martha Stewart went to prison and OJ turned out to be a murderer.

I get pissed off when people start dissing Bono when he gets some attention. He really is actually trying to make a real difference in the world. He doesn't need any more attention on him personally or awards to get it done . He needs more attention on American and European accoutability to the rest of the world to get it done.

Back
Top Bottom