(10-04-2004) Conan to Turn Entire Show Over to U2 - AP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why would conan fans be pissed about the show? All I know is
the show is going to be hilarious and awsome.

Grrr...why couldn't this be NEXT Thursday (when they'll still be in the City, sans show, mind you!) I've got class all day on Thursday, but next week I have off...I totally would have tried for Stand-By tix. Oh well, I've got my tape all ready!!!

edgeboy said:
Why would conan fans be pissed about the show? All I know is
the show is going to be hilarious and awsome.

I honestly have no idea. I'm a member of a LJ Conan group, and the general consensus is that they hate U2 and that this is going to be boring. I can sort of see where they're coming from - if it was an entire show dedicated to say, Britney Spears, I would complain as well.

What they don't understand is that this is U2. :wink: Conan has never spent an entire show focusing on one guest - that alone tells you something.

I hope the non-bono members of the band get featured prominently. "Year 2000" would be great with Edge and/or Adam.

I just worry that Conan might do an 'Irish jig' sometime during the show.

If it is 3 songs, one will likely be an older song - maybe they will give Conan the choice of any old song played so far on this tour? Springsteen did a Conan request of "Kitty's Back" several years ago.

COBL will be a likely choice, since it has yet to be played live on US tv.

Lastly, Conan has been very good to artists over the years. His first ever musical guest was the american debut of Radiohead. He's also given White Stripes and Strokes 5 songs each, over 5 straight week nights.

u2fp

forty said:

I honestly have no idea. I'm a member of a LJ Conan group, and the general consensus is that they hate U2 and that this is going to be boring. I can sort of see where they're coming from - if it was an entire show dedicated to say, Britney Spears, I would complain as well.

What they don't understand is that this is U2. :wink: Conan has never spent an entire show focusing on one guest - that alone tells you something.

Britney? you had to expect you might get blasted for even mentioning her, but to compare her appearence to the boys? U2 brings 26 years of music and 20+ years of political conciousness. Britney brings...um....'er...um....likely, her next talk show appearence will be on Jerry Springer or Maury!

My wife and i will be in NYC for the Friday night show...section 78 front row, what a great way to get hyped up....luck of the Irish~ Thanks Conan!

oh my!

I just had my morning jolt of coffee kick in, and saw this news and the adrenaline it added has got my heart fluttering...it's kinda scary actually!

yeah for conan the lovely bigheaded irishman...great idea to just let them have the whole show for the night!

where's the hyper smilie? I can't find the hyper smilie!!
cheers all...

I am totally going SQUEEEE!!!! :drool:

:Note to self-Get your own talk show and have U2 as co-hosts:

And I'm already giggling thinking of little B standing next to the very tall Conan.

drumkeeran said:
So, let me get this straight...U2 on Conan...whole night...Thursday...

So actually I should set my VCR for 12:30 am 10/7/05...Friday am...??????????????????????

si.

God I can't wait can't wait can't wait for this show!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: . Have a couple of songs I would love to hear U2 play. However,Im not going to complain what they end up with. Im just so excited that they are going to be on there! Ughhhhh wish I had tickets to Conan's show! Sooooo taping this I know that though!

Is it just me, or is this TOO DAMN COOL?!?!?!? :hyper: :cool:

Now I've just got to figure out how to stay up 'til 1:30 in the morning & still be able to function at work on Friday! :ohmy:

BluRmGrl said:
Is it just me, or is this TOO DAMN COOL?!?!?!? :hyper: :cool:

Now I've just got to figure out how to stay up 'til 1:30 in the morning & still be able to function at work on Friday! :ohmy:

Maybe take a little nap Thursday afternoon hehe... either that or drink lots and lots of coffee!

Checking TV Guide right now--man I hope I don't screw up like I did last time - I tried to tape the Katrina concert on channel 34 and taped channel 3! See I'm still carrying on about that. CBS right? 12:35 am Friday Oct 7--1 hr?

just saw this in @u2...

If you're looking for a ticket to the show, there's this from the NBC website: For standby tickets, arrive no later than 9:00 a.m. on the morning of the taping under the "NBC Studios" marquee on the 49th street side of 30 Rockefeller Plaza. Only one ticket will be issued per person. Please note that a standby ticket does not guarantee admission.

Update: U2's appearance has also been listed on VH1's website and a couple of @U2 readers have reported seeing commercials for U2's appearance on Late Night, so it looks like this one might actually be happening.

Jono said:

Britney? you had to expect you might get blasted for even mentioning her, but to compare her appearence to the boys? U2 brings 26 years of music and 20+ years of political conciousness. Britney brings...um....'er...um....likely, her next talk show appearence will be on Jerry Springer or Maury!

LOL. I'm not comparing Britney Spears to U2. My point was that if it were an entire episode dedicated to an artist I have no interest in, I can understand why the non-U2-fans wouldn't like the idea. *shrug*

U2girl91289 said:
omg this is tomorrow night, right?

Looks like it. Here's the line-up for Conan this week:

Mo 10/3: Bob Costas, Justin Long, Robbie Knievel (R 6/23/05)
Tu 10/4: Freddie Prinze, Jr., Jennifer Esposito, Gogol Bordello
We 10/5: Matthew McConaughey, Jesse Eisenberg, Greg Behrendt
Th 10/6: U2
Fr 10/7: Jon Heder, Jessica Biel, Nada Surf

Hey Forty, just bustin'
Even if they did a full hour of ANYONE else, the full time U2 fan wouldn't be as excited i suppose...
The four boys together is the only way it would work, because all of them together could make for quite a sitcom :)
Is there any artist or group other than U2 that could entertain an auidence for an hour?
From Dave Mathews to the Stones...they just couldn't pull it off like the boys can/will. It all remains to be seen of course, but I think it's amazing that they start off a Nielsen rating book on Thursday and Conan's team realizes the immediate spike they will see!
Song list Guess...
Yes Vertigo will be there
Johnny Comes Marching for Conan
LaPoE
New York
accoustic Wild Horses
One

Song list hopeful...
New York
SYCMIOYO
Helter Skelter or All along the Watchtower
October