(10-03-2005) Rock stars could mean novel Nobel Peace Prize - Reuters*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Rock stars could mean novel Nobel Peace Prize

By Alister Doyle

OSLO (Reuters) - Irish rock stars Bob Geldof and Bono are among the bookmakers' tips to win the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, alongside more orthodox candidates like campaigners against nuclear arms or a peace broker for Indonesia.

Experts are divided about whether the secretive five-member committee would dare to broaden the scope of the $1.3 million award in 2005 to honor Geldof or Bono, who have campaigned for years to ease hunger and poverty in Africa.

Last year, the committee won both plaudits and brickbats for awarding the prize for the first time to an environmentalist, Kenya's Wangari Maathai, for leading a campaign to plant millions of trees across Africa.

After that mixed reception, guardians of what many view as the world's highest accolade may be reluctant to be innovative a second time. A total of 199 candidates have been nominated for the 2005 award, which can be split up to three ways.

"If the prize branches out to virtually anything that is trendy, it stands to lose the intent that (Swedish founder) Alfred Nobel had -- to prevent war," said Janne Haaland Matlary, a professor of political science at Oslo University.

"I think there are two acute problems in the world -- anti-terror work and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction," she said.

On the 60th year of the 1945 U.S. nuclear bombing of the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, she and many experts say an obvious option is to honor efforts to stop the spread of nuclear weapons.

Still, Bono and Geldof have risen from 66-1 to be third joint favorites at 7-1 on an Australian bookmakers' ranking in recent days after Stein Toennesson, a leading Norwegian prize commentator, placed them among his favorites.

ROCK AND ROLL

"If the committee wants to go further this year in widening its interpretation of peace, the prize could go to Bono or Geldof," said Toennesson, head of the Peace Research Institute, Oslo.

Top of the bookmakers' ranking is former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, at 4-1, for brokering a peace deal between Indonesia and Aceh rebels this year to end a three-decade conflict in which 15,000 people have died.

Then come U.S. Senator Richard Lugar and former Senator Sam Nunn, on 6.5-1, for their work to dismantle aging nuclear weapons in the former Soviet Union. The ranking broadly matches Toennesson's.

Others disagree.

"Since the committee went quite far and were innovative with Maathai they would want to go a little bit back to a core Nobel theme," said Espen Barth Eide, a director at the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs.

He said that his favorite was the U.N. nuclear watchdog and its head, Mohamed ElBaradei.

Candidates who campaign against nuclear arms include Nihon Hidankyo, a group of survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki or Senji Yamaguchi, a Nagasaki survivor. The 1995 and 1985 prizes also went to anti-nuclear themes.

Or the committee might honor a relief group, like Save the Children or Oxfam, for work after the Indian Ocean tsunami.

In deciding the prize, a problem is the vagueness of Nobel's 1895 will. It says the prize should go to the person who has done most for "fraternity between nations," for reducing armies or for holding peace congresses.

But the committee may be open to new ideas. The head of the committee, Ole Danbolt Mjoes, was instrumental in persuading ex-South African President Nelson Mandela to visit the Arctic city of Tromsoe in June for an anti- AIDS rock concert.

If the iconic Mandela sees rock music as a way of spreading the word about AIDS, why can't the Norwegian Nobel Committee follow suit with peace? "No comment," Mjoes said, adding: "We always use the will as our basis and have a holistic approach."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051003/en_nm/nobel_peace_dc

I think if Bono get's it, he should get it together with Bob Geldof. Would be weird if just one of them got it....

I'm gonna rankle some people, but, I'm curious - what DOES elimination of debt/AIDS in Africa, admittedly a great thing, have to do with world peace in the strictest sense of the term?

Last edited:
Those Two Men Should Get A Lifetime Achievment for their efforts

I do Miss U2 . Their Concerts were Stratospheric . I really wanted
to Go for A Few Pints with The Lads . I was Carrying Around $500.00 Cdn just in Case I Ran into them Somewhere. Ah Well
They Are Busy Doing Major Things to Help this Planet Out.

But Maybe if they Somehow get this Message to Ring Up Shuey if
they are in Town and Lets Go For A Drink in Canada. Like They
Say in Ireland - The Doors Always open or F----- Kick it In!

Shade said:
I'm gonna rankle some people, but, I'm curious - what DOES elimination of debt/AIDS in Africa, admittedly a great thing, have to do with world peace in the strictest sense of the term?

Bacause Africa has to be saved from extreme poverty BEFORE they turn into terrorist states like Afganistan and Irak. All science shows that poor people are the ones that is most open to extreme ideas.

Getting the children to school, give the people food, saving what's left of democracy and make trade fair, is the most important step towards longtime peace in Africa and the world...

I'm hoping and praying it goes to Geldof and Bono! They deserve it. not to say any of the other front runners don't deserve the accolade. Bono;s been nominated several times. I'd like to see him clench it! :up:

Shade said:

That's my thought either.
It's really a very great work they are doing, but if you take the will of Nobel it is not really want he originally wanted to express with the peace price.
The person who is nearest to the will is the former president of Finland, Martti Ahtisaari, because he enforced peace last year.
After that senator Lugar and former senator Nunn, the Japanese organisation of Nihon Hidankyo or Senji Yamaguchi are close to the will, because they are trying to reduce the army in a way.

But of course also Bono and Geldof deserve the prize, because with theirs work they prevent further wars in future because when the standard of living increases there is less need to make war.

We'll see how the commission decides, and I think they'll provide a good explanation for every decision.

Carek1230 said:
I'm hoping and praying it goes to Geldof and Bono! They deserve it. not to say any of the other front runners don't deserve the accolade. Bono;s been nominated several times. I'd like to see him clench it! :up:

It won't go to both of them. They haven't been nominated jointly, and it's not known if Geldof was even formally nominated; there's just been some speculation about that.

I would say so, but it's on December 10, so it's a bit time left.
Here in Germany the announcement is going to be televised, but I didn't find any information if there are U.S. channels doing the same.

Vincent Vega said:
I would say so, but it's on December 10, so it's a bit time left.
Here in Germany the announcement is going to be televised, but I didn't find any information if there are U.S. channels doing the same.

Band is playing Cleveland on the 10th though, if he did win, I'd be curious to see how he'd handle this...

Its obviously televised in Norway as the ceremony is in Oslo, however CNN covered the event quite extensively last year.

If Bono gets (don''t think so yet), I believe the prize will get even more attention from the major TV networks, cos of Bonos profile.

U2FanPeter said:
Can I buy tickets at StubHub.com?

Actually, there are two ceremonies. The first is the 'official' ceremony were the winner recieves their award. I don't think you can get tickets to this as this event is for the Royals and all sorts of 'high rank' people. (Could be wrong on this one)

The second ceremony is open for everyone, its held in Oslo Spectrum which holds approx 8.000. This is more of a celebration of the award itself and the winner(s). There's usually a few bands playing together with other sorts of entertainment.

You should be able to get tickets here http://www.ticketmaster.no/html/home.htmI when thy are released.

L03VIk said:

Bacause Africa has to be saved from extreme poverty BEFORE they turn into terrorist states like Afganistan and Irak. All science shows that poor people are the ones that is most open to extreme ideas.

Getting the children to school, give the people food, saving what's left of democracy and make trade fair, is the most important step towards longtime peace in Africa and the world...

Your forseen connection between debt cancellation and the prevention of war seems at least partly based on speculation, and many wars have been spurred on by the rich for the rich using their constituents' highest ideals - or basest prejudices - for fuel. But, I can see what you're saying. However, after viewing a list of previous winners - including MLK, Walesa, Gorbachev, Jimmy Carter, and Aung San Suu Kyi - I think they should wait on giving Bono a prize. There's a lot more work to be done before his mission is a success, and he's not the only one involved in it. Honestly, I don't know if his name would be as high on the list if he wasn't already world famous.

Last edited:
If he wasn't world famous, he wouldn't have such an influence on world governments to cancel debts.

What is felt in one's :heart: is the best recognition of all.

Although I would like to see Bono get the Nobel Prize.
:)

Here is some "expert's" opinion:

U2's Bono To Win 2005 Nobel Peace Prize According To Noted Author And Peace Scholar

For Immediate Release

SAN FRANCISCO/EWORLDWIRE/Oct. 5, 2005 --- Peace scholar and journalist Scott A. Hunt offers his prediction that this year's recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize will be rock star and debt relief activist Bono (Paul David Hewson).

Hunt, who has taught at UC Berkeley and frequently lectures on peacemaking, is the author of the book "The Future of Peace: On the Frontlines with the World's Great Peacemakers." Hunt is one of the few writers in the world who has engaged in intimate conversations with a number of Nobel Peace Prize winners in their own communities, including the Dalai Lama, Aung San Suu Kyi, John Hume, Oscar Arias, Betty Williams and Máiread Corrigan Maguire. He has also had in-depth discussions with many Nobel Peace Prize nominees, including Jane Goodall, Maha Ghosanada, Thich Quang Do, Uri Avnery and Thich Nhat Hahn.

The winner of the 2005 Peace Prize will be announced in Oslo this Friday, October 7, 2005. The confidential list of nominees includes 163 individuals and 36 organizations.

"It is a notoriously difficult game to try to predict who among the numerous nominees will win," Hunt admits. "I think the huge issues on the global stage this year are the tsunami relief in Asia, anti-poverty campaigns, terrorism, and weapons of mass destruction. Individuals and organization that work within these spheres are the most likely candidates to win," Hunt says.

"I would rank the most likely recipients as Bono, Finnish diplomat Martti Ahtisaari, Oxfam, Save the Children, and Dr. Muhammad Yunus. Other commentators 'short lists' include U.S. Senator Richard Lugar and former Senator Sam Nunn for their work to secure ageing nuclear weapons in the former Soviet Union, Mordechai Vanunu, for blowing the whistle on Israel's nuclear weapons program, Former Czech president Vaclav Havel for his peacemaking activities, Bob Geldoff for his anti-poverty events."

"Bono has done a tremendous amount of work that comports with Alfred Nobel's intention to award the prize to a group or individual that promotes 'fraternity between nations'," Hunt declares. "On the heels of the G8 Summit and The One Campaign, when awareness has been raised that we can, for the first time in human history, end dire poverty worldwide, I think Bono is the clear choice."

No Nobel to B-man or Geldof.

Think what you want, but I am happy it's like that.
I don't say so because I don't think they deserve it -- on the contrary!
But, anyway, I think it's not the case...

... at least for now.

===========================

from reuters.com

ElBaradei and IAEA win Nobel Prize
Fri Oct 7, 2005 9:03 AM ET

By Alister Doyle
OSLO (Reuters) - The U.N. nuclear watchdog and its head Mohamed ElBaradei won the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday in an award calculated to help efforts to banish the peril of nuclear arms six decades after Hiroshima.

The Nobel Committee praised the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and ElBaradei, a 63-year-old Egyptian, for work to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons to new states and to terrorists, and to ensure safe civilian use of nuclear energy.

ElBaradei learned he had won from television news at home after missing a telephone call to his Vienna office from the Nobel Committee in Norway.

ElBaradei "was very humbled by the announcement. Surprised, humbled", IAEA spokesman Marc Vidricaire said. "He sees this as support to what the agency has been doing in the field of non-proliferation, in the field of disarmament."

Congratulations came from world leaders like Britain's Tony Blair and France's Jacques Chirac, who said he was "delighted". Former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev, the 1990 laureate, praised ElBaradei for doing his job "solidly and responsibly".

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, also a peace laureate, called it "a welcome reminder of the acute need to make progress on the issue of nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament".

The IAEA has had little success in recent standoffs with Iran and North Korea and ElBaradei has faced criticism from many quarters, most recently from both the United States and Iran in his efforts to investigate Tehran's nuclear program.

Washington had opposed his reappointment to a new term.

He came to prominence before the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003 by challenging Washington's argument that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. No such weapons were found after the overthrow of Saddam. A program discovered in the early 1990s appeared to have been abandoned as Iraq had said.

"UNAFRAID"

Some experts say the IAEA has achieved too little in North Korea and Iran to merit the prize. Elbaradei is unbowed. Continued ...

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...55Z_01_EIC641890_RTRUKOC_0_US-NOBEL-PEACE.xml

L03VIk said:

and not to forget debt cancellation of several poor countries.

In Conan, Bono was quoted as saying "it is much cheaper to make friends than it is to make enemies."

That to me my friends is what world peace is all about. 'nuf said.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom