(10-02-2006) Definitive 'Best Of' on the Way -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clawgrabber said:
subscribing to that school of thought means posting in a message board for a band that you believe hasn't had any good output for nearly a decade.

seems like a waste of time to me

Speaking for myself, I don't hate the last 2 albums. I just think they're mediocre for U2's standards! or I guess I should say pre-2000 U2's standards. But even if someone did 'hate' the last 2 albums, why can't they continue posting on the board for old times sake? What right does anyone have to stop them from posting? (unless they're really trolling) Can you post here only if you like every single thing U2 has done? I don't get it.

neilm said:

Yes, the GN'R record label did release that and as far as I am aware, none of the band (the 'original' members who recorded those albums) had a say in it. I believe the release was a complete failure. Say what you like about Guns N'Roses, but those Use Your Illusion albums were full of fantastic music, back to back. Trying to make one single album from the two is just wrong.

The same happened with the GN'R Greatest Hits package they released a couple of years back. Again, the record company put that together without any input from any of the original band members and they ended up with Slash publically slamming it for a number of reasons including the fact that there were five cover versions on there!

Dunno about the Use Your Illusion back, I mixed the two on tape when it first came out and it sounded much better.

However, the greatest hits package is still on Billboards Top 200, in the top 100 no less. I think this is exactly what Universal is hoping for. It's not for us, enjoy it if you can/want to but this bitching is silly.

Beside, most of you will get it for Christmas anyway :)

I'm totally for the greatest live disk, with bonus DVD and Bono and Edge coming over to hand deliver it. But that's not what this release is all about.

Also, I don't understand, for some it seems like they think they're getting this *instead* of something else. I don't think that's the case. If there wasn't a Christmas release, there wouldn't be any release.

ponkine said:
They spoiled their golden chance to present the world what is and what has been the extraordinary U2 career for the new generations.

Oh yeah:

Streets
Pride
With Or Without You
Desire
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Years Day
The Fly
One
Mysterious Ways
Vertigo
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day

Certainly not representative of an extraordinary career.

Re: I know the other song in the definitive best of...

drewhiggins said:
It is Mercy.
Not to disappoint the 'Mercy' fans, but it won't be 'Mercy', unless Rick Rubin re-produced it. Excerpt taken from the U2.com article:

...one of the two new tracks is the band’s collaboration with Green Day while the other is a brand new song.

Both were recorded during sessions at London’s Abbey Road last month and are produced by Rick Rubin.

I'm loosing my enthusiasm after 29 dedicated years, and $1,000s of bucks spent on tours and my U2 collection.

I appreciate those of you who are still inspired.

I am sadly starting to feel like the best days are behind us...

Maybe that's why this unwarrented disc is coming out.

I don't see why they couldn't have waited for a Best Of 2000-2010, but hey, a new song, you can't argue there...

U2 signed a contract for 3 best ofs so they have to release 3 best ofs, very simple. I know many of you dont understand what a contract is but thats the way it is.

None the less it will have some new material on it if you dont want it dont buy it nobody is forcing you to do so.

Its the same complainers that didnt want U2 to put Best Ofs out in the first place, but quite frankly U2 gained many fans, many of who are on this forum right now from those Best Ofs so I dont think it is a bad idea. Like I said if you dont want it dont buy it.

This topic has turned into a bashfest for everyone here who is more than happy to take any given opportunity to rant about the band. In truth most of you don't know how lucky you are to be fans of such a great band who are still around making good music and touring, unlike many other artists who only put out a new record every 6 to 10 years and a greatest hits every year around christmas. There are so many best ofs and box sets around, I have never felt that this is the case with U2. You guys seriously have to look beyond your own fandom. They don't make music for you, but for a broad public audience. If you don't like it, don't buy it, but stop ranting, this is not the end of the world and no need to overreact.

seriously why the hell are people getting so worked up about it? saying stuff like "am not inspired anymore bla bla"? this may not even be the bands decision but yet they get the blame,

you dont have to buy it, so i cant see how if would affect you, just dont buy it!!!!!

They've got to be joking.

Most of us here probably have everything from Three EP to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

Plus I just got the Saints Are Coming. One new track, if that is Mercy then what's the point?

drewhiggins said:
They've got to be joking.

Most of us here probably have everything from Three EP to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

Plus I just got the Saints Are Coming. One new track, if that is Mercy then what's the point?
just a guess but maybe there not making it for you?

I dont think they need it. I think part of the U2 phenomenon is to not water it down. This does just that...

But a new song.....all for that.

drewhiggins said:
Maybe they're not. So who do you reckon they're making it for? The fans, maybe?
Most "Best of" and "Greatest Hits" albums are simply not made for the "Fans", but for the general public.
Unfortunatly for us, what we want to hear is not exactly what the non-hardcore-fan wants to hear. Most of the music we would chose for a "Best of" is not exactly what's interesting to the public.
We are not the center of the universe. Releasing another Best Of is a commercial decision made by the record company. Like it or not, buy it or not.

:madspit: I am a big fan and usually a defender of the band. But a 3rd Best of without at another 2 albums released is overkill. "The Saints" and the New Song Bonus should have come included with the Coffee table book.

Isn´t this the wrong order to put out a best of-album just before the new album? It makes me wonder if the new album is going to be so bad none of its song will fit on the best of best of...:madspit:

whats the point of having a discussion on this, when the moaners arent perpared to listen to other peoples arguments re why this might be happening? instead condemming the band to a life of being sell outs etc?

there's plenty of good arguments from others on here to the merits of this best of, but no one seems prepared to listen to them

OK, I was disappointed by this news yesterday, but think what this really means:

2 new studio tracks (whether or not you consider The Saints new, it wasn't out 6 months ago...).
Probably some 'new' b-sides - either studio tracks or live tracks we have not yet heard.
Promotion - I would expect some TV appearances.
Perhaps some bonus stuff with the new best of - a DVD of some kind is likely, even if it's something simple like the 1990-2000 bonus one.
At the very least, nice new packaging for the album.

Overall, while it's a cash-in, U2 will not just brush this off lightly - I'm sure they will make this an enjoyable time for fans, even if we'd rather have a new album.

I'm also thinking they may include "40" as an unlisted bonus track to close out the CD - something that, in retrospect, I wish they'd done with Best Of 1980-1990.

Wow for once I'm actually going to pan a decision they make.

Bad move, U2.

Write a new album. We'll wait patiently.

Besides, 16 tracks??? Any U2 best of in my books needs a good 30 tracks - 2 15 song discs.

What's all the fuss about?

I guess I don't see anything wrong with U2 becoming more popular; I'm not hoarding them all to myselves. They're a band, they make and sell CDS, big deal. I don't think I'd buy this disc, but I bet my little sister and my dad would. So there's two new fans that will be excited for this :shrug:

I'm not sure it's logical to assume that this disc would be taking the place of releasing a new album....:confused:

I read in some Bono biography a while ago that the band were contracted to deliver 3 compilation albums under the island label in the late 1990's. So this is going to be a contractual obligation, unless they want to hold out another 4+ years to release The Best of 2000-2010.

The band are always going on about looking to the future and not looking back too much at the past and so I'm sure this wasn't really something they were really game for. At least, unlike a lot of artists, they are offering 2 new tracks with this release. Most completists would buy it with or without those new tracks so at least they're getting some value for money. I for one will be buying it and will not feel ripped off if the CD includes the single version of original of the species.

I do however question the merits of releasing a charity single and within the same month releasing it on a new album.

Is there still a full new album in the works though? or are these two Rick Rubin tracks all we're getting from their collaboration? Any word on what the unknown song might be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom