(09-29-2004) 'It's Not About Charity, It's About Justice' -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
'It's Not About Charity, It's About Justice'

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair and Chancellor Gordon Brown have the opportunity to change history for the developing world.

But Labour has to 'get real' in facing the challenge of global poverty, said Bono this afternoon, speaking to a packed conference hall at the annual Labour Conference in Brighton, on the English south coast.

In an impassioned call for people to respond to the crisis of AIDS, unfair trade and unpayable debt in Africa, Bono described how his own eyes were opened to the reality of life for people in Africa with Live Aid in '985.

And to widespread laughter, he described Tony Blair and Gordon Brown as the John Lennon and Paul McCartney of the global development stage.

'I'm fond of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. They are kind of the John and Paul of the global development stage, in my opinion. But the point is, Lennon and McCartney changed
my interior world ­ Blair and Brown can change the real world.'

And Britain had a real chance to effect change when it took up the G8 presidency next year.

'You know as transcendent as I'd like to think a U2 show can be, it isn't life or death. This is. And I've met people whose lives will depend on the decisions taken by these two great men. They have great ideas.'

'And the promises they have already made will save hundreds of thousands of lives ­ if they follow through.'

Calling for more action to combat the spread of Aids and ease Africa's debt burden, Bono praised the UK government's decision to increase its contribution to the global fight against HIV/Aids - but said there was more to do.

Full speech here shortly. Also more news on the campaign for justice in Africa here.

--U2.com

Such ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL pics and words coming from one of the world's MOST EXTRAORDINARY MEN - BONO! :wink:

The full transcript of Bono's speech today at the Labour Party's conference is up at DATA's website. PLEASE go and check it out - VERY INSPIRING and a challenge to all of us to DO MORE TO HELP AFRICA! :yes:

http://www.data.org/archives/000604.php

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

This is embarassing. I'm sorry, but Bono could you please check your MASSIVE EGO AT THE DOOR?

You know as transcendent as I'd like to think a U2 show can be, it isn't life or death. This is. " :|

and this...

"I'm fond of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. They are kind of the John and Paul of the global development stage, in my opinion. But the point is, Lennon and McCartney changed
my interior world ­ Blair and Brown can change the real world."

:barf:

Zoorock Girl! said:
This is embarassing. I'm sorry, but Bono could you please check your MASSIVE EGO AT THE DOOR?

You know as transcendent as I'd like to think a U2 show can be, it isn't life or death. This is. " :|

and this...

"I'm fond of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. They are kind of the John and Paul of the global development stage, in my opinion. But the point is, Lennon and McCartney changed
my interior world - Blair and Brown can change the real world."

:barf:

well, bono never claimed to be ego-less.
what's so bad about thsoe comments though?
i think u2 shows ARE transcendant. if he didn't believe that too, they probably wouldn't be transcendant to begin with....
but okay, i see that comment by him can come off as arrogant or whatever.

but why is the lennon-mccartney comment egotistical?
he's paying THEM a compliment, not himself.
he's saying they changed his life.
that's not egotistical, is it?

i don't see these particular comments you highlighted as very egotistical.
mind you, i don't mind bono the egomaniac---i just don't see him present right here in these comments you noted.

Thought the speech was great in true Bono fashion was able to convey a very important message

he does check his ego at the door when it comes time to do that, to put this emergency first..very humble when it come to this. But he also uses that celebrity currency very well and when he speaks he does that up very well to get a message across..

It's difficult to be in a room, hear Bono speak and not feel that honest passion that comes out of him.. ..brilliant man and lots of heart!!

We're all U2 fans, and even though I'm biased pro-Bono, I still can't help but shudder the way he shamelessly talks about himself and the band.

Whatever. I guess I'm in the minority on this one.

i guess we just see it differently.
he is who he is.
he wouldn't be up there talking if he wasn't a rock star.
there are plenty of people he works with who could do the talking, but he is the rock star, and for that reason he is given the arena to use his voice.
it goes hand in hand that when he gives these speeches he acknowledges that he is in fact a rock star.
i am just curious, is your problem with the fact that he is mentioning the fact that he is bono the rock star or just that you think he is saying things that are egotistical?
(don't take me wrong, i am not trying to instigate an argument)
and as far as pro-bono bias....i have to say, it doesn't sound like you have that bias......and i do admit i am biased, no doubt .:bono:

There is an art to speech making. Part of bono's personality and gimmick is the novelty of being a rock-star that can speak with politicos....the beatles metaphor and the reference to the fact that many see music..including u2 music..as life changing are just examples of this for me.

honestly, i dont see any bono "ego" there. the man is saying he represents a different breed , i.e, rock stars and rock stars are a different breed from politicos. they say things they want to say .. they can be who they want to be. he just said that in his speech. politicos says things to win votes , to get people to like them. rock stars are loved by fans because they are who they are.
now one is egotistic if one thinks he is above the rest. bono's message was not about that. he said he is a rock star and he is no politico. he delivers his message from the heart .. he's not out there to win votes. so where's the ego there.
are you ashamed of the man for making that speech? do you feel like shrinking or hiding underneath the chair if you were part of the audience at that conference? yeah zoorock girl maybe you are alone. coz i believe all the rest gave him a standing ovation. and from my cyber place, i too give him a standing ovation. :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

thanks Devlin!

I like Bono's speech .. is so energic, as he is.
It's so clear, funny! He's got easy ways to talk about fundamental issues. :wink:

'Please'...someone must have a video copy of Bono's speech at the Labour conference....anyone? Want to keep it for posterity.... Paulc

Back
Top Bottom