(09-27-2006) U2 Book Signing Leads to eBay Fury -- Digital Spy*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoodlem said:
doctorwho,
This original article stated:
"U2 fans have been moved to boycott auction website eBay"
and
"I'll never buy anything off eBay again"

My point is that their anger is severely misplaced.

Unfortunately for you and me, there is no possible way to assure that only "true" fans get into these type of events. Complaining about it is merely pointing out the obvious facts that some people suck and life is not fair. I am just surprised that people are surprised. People are free to be jerks. And once again, why blame Ebay?

I agree with you - their anger is misplaced.

And, sadly, how does one tell a "true fan" from an autograph hound/eBay seller in advance?

I think the way U2 were able to tell was when people didn't want the books personalized. For example, if you said, "could you sign this to John (or Sally or whatever)?" that probably shows the celebrity that this is for that person and only that person. I know I'd ask them to personalize it. But when it's not personalized, then that strongly suggests eBay sellers. Brady Quinn, the quarterback for Notre Dame football, often had this complaint. He'd find a ton of footballs outside his dorm room. He knew they were just going on eBay and was annoyed that people were making money off of him this way. But if there was a football to personalize, he knew it was for a fan.

doctorwho said:

I agree with you - their anger is misplaced.

And, sadly, how does one tell a "true fan" from an autograph hound/eBay seller in advance?

I think the way U2 were able to tell was when people didn't want the books personalized. For example, if you said, "could you sign this to John (or Sally or whatever)?" that probably shows the celebrity that this is for that person and only that person. I know I'd ask them to personalize it. But when it's not personalized, then that strongly suggests eBay sellers. Brady Quinn, the quarterback for Notre Dame football, often had this complaint. He'd find a ton of footballs outside his dorm room. He knew they were just going on eBay and was annoyed that people were making money off of him this way. But if there was a football to personalize, he knew it was for a fan.

of the 30 or so autograph hounds there, at least 20 of them were easily identified as such.

ebayscalpers.jpg

there's 9 who were only out for autographs... there were at least 3 more just to the left of this picture, near our group... another 4-5 towards the front of the line, and second large group further back in the line of approx. 8-10.

all 20-30 of 'em seemed to know each other, as if they were all working for the same operation.

it didn't matter... white, black, hispanic, male, female, teenaged, middle aged, etc. etc.

Anu said:
I'd sooner boycott U2 for not paying their Irish taxes and buying f--inge Forbes magazine than I'd boycott EBay.

But that said, I'm not. I'm nutty about U2 and just bought the book at Target on sale.

But please no more bashing the impure intentions of basement capitalists when we are all fans of some of the fattest penthouse capitalists the world has ever known.

Uh... let's not blow things out of proportion here.

First, U2 are playing PLENTY in Irish taxes. People speak as if U2 is getting off free. They only transferred a part of their business for tax reasons. While I understand why some people might be upset at this as it seems hypocritical, my guess is that the money side of the business is run quite independently from the actual members of U2. With that type of wealth, individuals aren't directly involved. It's not like Bono has $100 million sitting in his bank account. And, as I first wrote, they will pay taxes on quite a bit - some on on income, some on royalties, some on real estate, etc.

As for U2 being the "fattest penthouse capitalists the world has ever known"... uh, why? Who do you think pays for all of Bono's charity travels? Bono. Who pays for all of Edge's charity travels? Edge. Who donates the proceeds for entire songs to charity? U2. Who has supported more charities than any other band? U2. So if they have enough money to stay in a hotel suite, is that so bad? Heck, I like to stay in nice places too. Does that mean that all money and time I donate to charity is now meaningless? Just because one spends money on one's self, it doesn't mean that one is some "fat capitalist". Given U2's enormous popularity, asking them to stay in a Motel 8 or live in a tiny studio apartment is ridiculous. I know you didn't write that, but your words are definitely implying it.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
ebayscalpers.jpg

there's 9 who were only out for autographs... there were at least 3 more just to the left of this picture, near our group... another 4-5 towards the front of the line, and second large group further back in the line of approx. 8-10.

all 20-30 of 'em seemed to know each other, as if they were all working for the same operation.

it didn't matter... white, black, hispanic, male, female, teenaged, middle aged, etc. etc.

I agree that once seen in a group, they are easily spotted - and this may be why the U2 members were writing such comments on the books. However, prior to seeing them, is there a way to screen? Is there a way to screen before allowing them into the area? And if so, can one really stop it? Can one really say, "Oh, you're just an autograph hound who's going to sell this on eBay - get lost!"? I'm just glad U2 saw through this because I know I won't be buying any books that say "Beautiful eBay" on it (not that I'd spend nearly $1000 for an autographed book anyway).

doctorwho said:

I agree that once seen in a group, they are easily spotted - and this may be why the U2 members were writing such comments on the books. However, prior to seeing them, is there a way to screen? Is there a way to screen before allowing them into the area? And if so, can one really stop it? Can one really say, "Oh, you're just an autograph hound who's going to sell this on eBay - get lost!"? I'm just glad U2 saw through this because I know I won't be buying any books that say "Beautiful eBay" on it (not that I'd spend nearly $1000 for an autographed book anyway).

sure... take photos such as these from those known and admitted to be autograph scalpers and have them at these events.

the guys (and girls) in that particular group in that photo talked about how they were just there for paul mccartney, and how the most security they ever saw was for bill clinton, and so on and so forth.

so this was not their first time doing this, at this particular store even.

so the people at the events can take these pictures, use them to identify known e-bay scalpers and not allow them into future events.

:shrug: they do it at sporting events and concerts concerning people who are known problems. wouldn't take a whole lot of effort. sure, a few would sneak through the cracks, but only a handful actually were by themselves in the line... of the 30 (give or take) there, maybe 3 or 4 weren't with a large group... which made them much harder to spot, and if you weren't out there all night and saw the "ring leader," decked out in a pair of dirty gray sweat pants and a dirty gray t-shirt, talking to these people up and down the line, you never would have guessed it.

Last edited:
if they get in line and play by the same rules as everyone else, then you really can only blame yourself by not getting in line before them. they should be able to do whatever they want with the book. if they cut in line, then its BS.

Anu said:
and buying f--inge Forbes magazine than I'd boycott EBay.

U2 didn't buy Forbes!

Elevation Partners did, and just Bonois one of the partners.
That's a huge difference.

And where's exactly the problem, besides that Forbes is the magazine of capitalism?

Chizip said:
if they get in line and play by the same rules as everyone else, then you really can only blame yourself by not getting in line before them. they should be able to do whatever they want with the book. if they cut in line, then its BS.

the problem is half of them did cut the line, and were allowed to do so by their partners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom