(09-11-2006) Deluxe 'U2 By U2' Postponed -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Deluxe "U2 By U2" Postponed

Interference.com has confirmed that the deluxe version of the hotly anticipated "U2 By U2" has been postponed until later in the fall. According to a press representative with Harper Collins, "The production of the deluxe edition held up the publication until later in the fall, but the regular edition will still publish as planned on September 26th."

Amazon.com is now listing the deluxe edition with a Dec. 1 release date. The deluxe version of the book is believed to be numbered, limited edition and comes with a slip cover and poster.

Get information about the regular edition here.

I wonder how many people now are gonna buy the regular edition because they can't wait and then still shell out money for the deluxe edition.

No, I think it's more likely timed to the Christmas season, if they bring it out at all. They might not have had enough orders to justify it and perhaps they want to wait and see what demand will be like for the regular edition.

I think everyone ought to splash a little cold water on their faces and have a time out, including the band -- $50 more than the regular hardcover edition, just for a slip case, a poster and a NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION? ("ooh, mine is 6589 out of 25,000! My great-grandchildren will make a fortune off this some day, so long as no one ever reads it or opens it or touches it in any way.") That is a rip, and I'm ashamed of the band for it.

I ordered the regular book, I learned my lesson after shelling out for the "deluxe" edition of that lousy Chicago DVD, extra money for what, a bad doco with Gavin Friday playing the creep to the hilt yet again? Someone is giving these sweet children some very bad advice, and they're listening to it....

FEELINNUMB said:
I think everyone ought to splash a little cold water on their faces and have a time out, including the band -- $50 more than the regular hardcover edition, just for a slip case, a poster and a NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION? ("ooh, mine is 6589 out of 25,000! My great-grandchildren will make a fortune off this some day, so long as no one ever reads it or opens it or touches it in any way.") That is a rip, and I'm ashamed of the band for it.

I ordered the regular book, I learned my lesson after shelling out for the "deluxe" edition of that lousy Chicago DVD, extra money for what, a bad doco with Gavin Friday playing the creep to the hilt yet again? Someone is giving these sweet children some very bad advice, and they're listening to it....

Here here!

chrissybaby said:
can't help but think that this is a marketing decision... my first thought was "i'll have to buy both now"

Could Be, I mean, now its like "Can get the standard now, and afford the delxue later")

One or the other will do for me, and probably just the Standard...unless its a Christmas present

FEELINNUMB said:

:up:

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the delay, but from amazon.com:

U2 by U2 (Hardcover)
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #397 in Books

U2 by U2 Deluxe Edition (Hardcover)
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #8,460 in Books

The regular edition is chock a block with enough text and photos to keep you amused until Halloween. I've had mine a couple of weeks now and I haven't even read through it all the way. I'm not sure how the deluxe edition would have improved on it.

I came to the conclusion sometime ago that I couldn't justify spending the extra money to basically get the poster. Forget the slipcase and the numbered out of/??? deal. That stuff is truly irrelevant. The poster is important yes, but not at that cost. A $20-$30 difference and I would of bit the hook for that. As is, the content is the bottom line. If the content were to change between the books, I would of had no choice but to go for the extra content.

U2 are lucky to have soo many fans. They probably wouldn't have a problem selling out of the special limited edition even when it really isn't all that limited.

I hope that all those who are thinking of buying the regular edition now and the deluxe edition later actually go to a bookstore and look at the deluxe edition when it comes out. Methinks that if you can actually see the deluxe on and hold it in your hands---as opposed to just clicking at it on amazon.com---you may end up feeling it's not worth it, and you'll save yourself 80 bucks or whatever.

And I'll take a small percentage for saving you the money. :wink:

Utoo said:
I hope that all those who are thinking of buying the regular edition now and the deluxe edition later actually go to a bookstore and look at the deluxe edition when it comes out. Methinks that if you can actually see the deluxe on and hold it in your hands---as opposed to just clicking at it on amazon.com---you may end up feeling it's not worth it, and you'll save yourself 80 bucks or whatever.

And I'll take a small percentage for saving you the money. :wink:

According to other fan sites, the deluxe edition will only be available via special order at most stores and not in stock so people won't be able to get their hands on it without purchasing it.

I like to collect U2 things. I'm buying both copies, as I was planning to do even before the delay was announced. :shrug: I've had money set aside for it for ages now. I won't get it from Amazon though, I'll go out on the 26th to buy the regular copy and then come time for the other one to come out, I'll order it.

Here in Australia they (Harper Collins) are advertising the standard book for AUS $75, but the Deluxe Boxed Set Edition for AUS $200, thus AUS $125 difference and at today’s exchange rate that is USD $97.:madspit:

dsmith2904 said:

According to other fan sites, the deluxe edition will only be available via special order at most stores and not in stock so people won't be able to get their hands on it without purchasing it.

Same as U2 & I.

I have had four $20 bills set aside for months that are specifically for the deluxe edition. I intend to spend them.

:rockon:

From atu2.com:

"A friend of @U2 with sources inside the publishing industry tells us that Harper Collins has decided against releasing a "deluxe" version of U2 by U2. The deluxe version was originally due out later this month, then postponed until later this year, and now it appears it's been canceled altogether. @U2's e-mails to Harper Collins today were not answered. The regular edition of the book is still due out next week. "

Back
Top Bottom