(09-10-2004) Rock Hall of Fame Announces Finalists -- BigNewsNetwork.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Rock Hall of Fame Announces Finalists

First-time nominee U2 leads the 15 finalists for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's class of 2005.

Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, meanwhile, is poised to become rap's first inductee into the shrine.

The Irish rockers and the New York rappers lead a list that also includes: punk rock icons the Sex Pistols, Patti Smith and the Stooges; classic rockers Lynyrd Skynyrd, the J. Geils Band and the Pretenders; blues guitarist Buddy Guy; Nashville legend Conway Twitty; singer-songwriters Randy Newman and Gram Parsons; and R&B acts the O'Jays, Percy Sledge and Wanda Jackson.

Ballots were mailed to voters this week and are due back at the Hall of Fame Foundation headquarters by Oct. 8. The inductees will most likely be announced in November.

The induction ceremony -- the Hall of Fame's 20th -- is expected to take place in mid-March in New York .

--BigNewsNetwork.com

Please, NOT the J. Geils band. Yucch!

Amazing the Sex Pistols still haven't made it in. Nice to see the Pretenders on the list.

Go, boys, go!! :applaud: (Really, does anyone have ANY doubt that they'll get in?) Nice to see Patti Smith there too. And Randy Newman.

How many do they end up letting in?

The J. Geils Band?

Five or six albums now get you consideration for a Hall of Fame entry? Those better be pretty influential albums.

Same for the Pretenders. I love them to death, but a Hall of Fame consideration?

Peter Wolf is a Hall of Famer, Chrissie and the Pretenders deserve it and yes the Grandmaster himself....hotel, motel, holiday inn, I said if your girl starts acting up, then you take her friend~
U2 will make it and yes I agree that the release date may have something to do with it...
Patti YES! Buddy Guy...YES!
Percy Sledge...'er probably...when a man loves a woman is one of the greatest ballads of all time.

i've seen pretenders last year when they supported deep purple, my oh my, i fell asleep!....but then steve morse with his guitar, ian paice on the drums roger glover on the bass, don airey on keyboaeds and ian gillan on th mic brought the bomb, what a concert, deep purple in the hall of fame!

The Pretenders are so deserving. Female-lead alt rock groups like Garabge, No Doubt, Hole, The Ravonettes, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Save Ferris and so on probably would not exist if it hadn't been for Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders.

Agree with most of those.

Also can't believe The Sex Pistols and Patti Smith still aren't in!

RE the Pretenders, they rock – Chrissie Hynde has been one of the most influential women in rock and roll. Surely, one of the first strong 'doesn't-have-to-walk-around-half-naked-to-be-sexy' women musicians. I saw them so many times in the 80's and they never disappointed.

Didn't U2 open for the J. Geils Band sometime in the early years? Didn't I read that somewhere?
It should be interesting to get both Bono and Johnny Rotten in the same room.

U2dork said:
Didn't U2 open for the J. Geils Band sometime in the early years? Didn't I read that somewhere?
It should be interesting to get both Bono and Johnny Rotten in the same room.

Yes, they did. I saw J. Geils when they opened for Yes, of all things. Now there was a bizarre combination!

Bono and Johnny Rotten? I think I might run for cover.

If both U2 and Grandmaster Flash/Furious Five make it in, who wants to bet that Bono (or maybe Larry) gets dorky and says "Don't push me, 'cause I'm close to the Edge" at the ceremonies? :wink: Or with U2 and Patti Smith, Bono does the relevant bit of that BTBS Chapman rant...

I think they'll make it. But I really wish that they'd be introduced to the R&RHOF next year when they are already way into their tour and completely ready and tight for the performances!

I think they will be ready to go. I'm sure they will have some rehearsal time and bands only play three or four numbers for the induction ceremony anyway.

I don't think there's any doubt U2 will get in. As for the others, Patti Smith, The Stooges and the Sex Pistols are WAY overdue to get in. I hope the Pretenders and Grandmaster Flash make it too. Lynryrd Skynrd should get in as well. I'm as sick of Freebird as anyone else, but they are still legends. I'm shocked Percy Sledge and Buddy Guy aren't already in. Hell, I love just about everyone on this list. The only thing I don't understand is how the J. Geils Band got on it. :scratch:

:hmm: So how many of the 15 finalists will get inducted? 3?

My guess is U2, Sex Pistols and Lynyrd Skynyrd will get in.

U2girl said:
:hmm: So how many of the 15 finalists will get inducted? 3?

My guess is U2, Sex Pistols and Lynyrd Skynyrd will get in.

I think it's however many appear on more than 50% of the ballots, I don't know how many picks voters get on a ballot, but I think there are usually around five that make it in a year, plus a couple of others (non-musicians, sidemen, early influences) chosen by committee.

My guess is U2, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Patti Smith and somebody else...

Right now, though I think the band has a really good chance, I don't think U2 is a lock. This is like the third time the Sex Pistols have been nominated. Black Sabbath has been nominated several times and not yet gotten in. George Harrison didn't get in until last year, seven years after first being eligible as a solo artist. There are quite a few bands that do get in on first nomination (The Beatles and Beach Boys come to mind) but those instances are few and far between.

dsmith2904 said:
Black Sabbath has been nominated several times and not yet gotten in.

Ozzy refuses the nomination because fans don't vote on it. He thinks it's a bogus ceremony, so he doesn't want Sab to be inducted.

Back
Top Bottom