(09-09-2005) From Patti Smith to Kanye West -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jono said:
"It's hard to believe, but still some people differentiate between Blacks and Whites."
Yes they do and as i said we do not fuel to the fire...

Ignoring problems only makes things worse...

There is a HUGE problem with RACISM in the US.

There always was, there still is.

That fuel is getting hotter... and it's gonna explode. Long overdue.

But is this the time to focus on racism? Was it the time to make such a bold and personal statement about our leader? Whether you are a fan of Bush or not, we do not need that type of comment right now and that is where i place the low level of inteligence and perhaps i was wrong...he may just have very little common sense.

Jono said:
he may just have very little common sense.

Or...how about this... he was so upset by the film of poor black people suffering with no relief in sight that he was moved out of anger and extreme emotions to make an outburst.

But no. That couldn't be right. It must be lack of common sense. Because none of us say things when we are upset that aren't representative of what we really mean.

Jono said:
But is this the time to focus on racism? Was it the time to make such a bold and personal statement about our leader? Whether you are a fan of Bush or not, we do not need that type of comment right now and that is where i place the low level of inteligence and perhaps i was wrong...he may just have very little common sense.

You can think of a better time?

HelloAngel said:

Or...how about this... he was so upset by the film of poor black people suffering with no relief in sight that he was moved out of anger and extreme emotions to make an outburst.

But no. That couldn't be right. It must be lack of common sense. Because none of us say things when we are upset that aren't representative of what we really mean.

you're using too much common sense in your argument. please stop.

HelloAngel said:

Ok, so will he come back on and appologize for saying that Bush hates black people...'er something tells me no!

Jono said:

Ok, so will he come back on and appologize for saying that Bush hates black people...'er something tells me no!

From what I've observed, Bush doesnt seem to care about anyone besides those like him.... not limiting it to black or white. lol.

Elvis said:

You can think of a better time?

Sure, can you? isn't now a time for humanitarian type activities and comments?
I think the right time for Kayne was right after the Aug 30th release!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elvis said:

Ignoring problems only makes things worse...

There is a HUGE problem with RACISM in the US.

There always was, there still is.

That fuel is getting hotter... and it's gonna explode. Long overdue.

Agreed.

However, Kanye West is hardly the appropriate person to address these matters. All he does is inflame people when he talks.

In my opinion, all he wants is some attention.

He will disappear from the radio waves in a CD or two, in my humble opinion.

Jono said:
Rap = crap? no, again, not the point. But since you brought that up...I can assume I may be the elder on this post and when GMF writes..."Hotel motel holiday inn, i say if your girl starts acting up, then you take her friend"...Rap used to be fun before gangsta rap took over. Am i a fan of gang type rap, no and no-one should be.

no... "bitches, ho's and rims" style rap is stupid. as useless as your average n'sync song.

but acts like n.w.a., public enemy, ice-t, tupac, the notorious b.i.g., snoop and dr. dre... the "gangsta rappers" of the early 90s... all they were doing is writing about what they knew. much like u2 wrote about the "bodies strewn across a dead end street." it was their reality.

Jono said:

Sure, can you? isn't now a time for humanitarian type activities and comments?
I think the right time for Kayne was right after the Aug 30th release!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since when does the world completely stop because of one event?

It doesnt, and it shouldnt. Racism and poverty are ALWAYS issues. The issues dont stop.

U2@NYC said:

Agreed.

However, Kanye West is hardly the appropriate person to address these matters. All he does is inflame people when he talks.

In my opinion, all he wants is some attention.

He will disappear from the radio waves in a CD or two, in my humble opinion.

Sometimes the least appropriate are those that get the word out.

Does it matter who says it? not really.

I was at Toads Place in New Haven Connecticut back in 1979 when U2 played and our country was still slowly moving away from being a racist based nation. Albeit a long way from being perfect, we have progressed quite a bit. The souhtern states will be the final chapter and i was simply pointing out that we don't need to step backwards. After we settle a little bit in 2-3 months we should step back and see how the high and white were treated in comaprison to all others, black, poor, neglected...even the elderly.
I made sure that my employees contributed what they could and we matched them and raised over $300,000...does money matter right now? sure a little bit...but what really matters is that we all come together and put the ease back into the big easy~~

Headache in a Suitcase said:

no... "bitches, ho's and rims" style rap is stupid. as useless as your average n'sync song.

but acts like n.w.a., public enemy, ice-t, tupac, the notorious b.i.g., snoop and dr. dre... the "gangsta rappers" of the early 90s... all they were doing is writing about what they knew. much like u2 wrote about the "bodies strewn across a dead end street." it was their reality.

well put and again...it's not a rap=crap issue

Jono said:
I was at Toads Place in New Haven Connecticut back in 1979 when U2 played and our country was still slowly moving away from being a racist based nation. Albeit a long way from being perfect, we have progressed quite a bit. The souhtern states will be the final chapter and i was simply pointing out that we don't need to step backwards. After we settle a little bit in 2-3 months we should step back and see how the high and white were treated in comaprison to all others, black, poor, neglected...even the elderly.
I made sure that my employees contributed what they could and we matched them and raised over $300,000...does money matter right now? sure a little bit...but what really matters is that we all come together and put the ease back into the big easy~~

This isnt about donations.

This isnt about ignoring a problem and letting it fade away.

People are pissed now! and you're suggesting that they sit on it for 2-3 months?

Funny.

HelloAngel said:

So, you know nothing about Kanye West then other than what his outburst was, and his rapper style? Is that right? And you're looking for things that support your claim in lyrics that you are misinterpreting? Does the fact that his has a college degree, and preaches to the black youth that education and keeping your head up and neck clean mean anything?

Reggae is the music of the people's revolution - they are angry, but the lyrics aren't in proper English. Neither is Blues music. Shit, neither is country music.

What I'm wondering is why anyone is attacking his intelligence level simply because he communicates in a way that maybe some of us do not?

Very well put,Angel.

no, i didn't say sit on it...i said prioritize...it is still an issue and apparently will always be one. If you read my post...i never said it was about donations either.

You have to mention it now, because in a month nobody cared that Bush didn't do anything.

Bush is there for the rich people, but he doesn't know what to do with the poor.
So he didn'T provide the help which was necessary.
There were no busses or trains sent to New Orleans before Katrina hit the coast to rescue the people who don't have a car. Amtrak offered trains, but was said nobody needs them.
Afterwards some officials told nobody could expect that the dams will breach. That wasn't true.
There was a research published by the FEMA in 2001 listing certain catastrophes for the USA:
A terror attack in New York, a hurricane over Mississipi coming from the east and breaking the dams, and a earthquake near San Francisco.

All they did now, despite knowing that the city could get overflooded, was to put out a mandatory evacuation. Everyone who didn't have a car, the poors, didn't have any chance.
And afterwards it took a long time until military, medicine, food and water were sent out.
And Blacks often got less help than Whites.
You have to say it now, otherwise nobody would care.

From Mr Fiddy Cent...
“He puts together witty phrases and he's a great talent as a producer, but I still don't know who Kanye West is when I listen to him."

He also says something rather interesting...
I feel like Kanye West is successful because of me. After 50 Cent, (hip-hop fans) was looking for something non-confrontational, and they went after the first thing that came along. That was Kanye West, and his record took off."

Elvis said:

Sometimes the least appropriate are those that get the word out.

Does it matter who says it? not really.

It matters how you say it. And it matters big time. Otherwise, the message gets confused and nothing is achieved, other than angrying the population and not solving a single thing.

This is what Kanye West did, does and will do with his 'style'.

Jono said:
From Mr Fiddy Cent...
“He puts together witty phrases and he's a great talent as a producer, but I still don't know who Kanye West is when I listen to him."

I feel like Kanye West is successful because of me. After 50 Cent, (hip-hop fans) was looking for something non-confrontational, and they went after the first thing that came along. That was Kanye West, and his record took off."

Again - what do you know about Kanye West other than the controversy right now? 50 Cent is a egomaniacal pop star who just wants attention back to him now that Kanye is getting some fire as a popular rapper. This doesn't support your claim about Kanye.

U2@NYC said:

It matters how you say it. And it matters big time. Otherwise, the message gets confused and nothing is achieved, other than angrying the population and not solving a single thing.

I hardly think anyone is confused about this message. He wasnt the only one voicing this opinion... was he?

Jono said:
From Mr Fiddy Cent...

Being successful because of someone - that is something 50 Cent really shouldn't be accusing others of, being Eminem's prodigy.

Isn't it possible that people are tired of the old "cars, girls and bling bling" hip hop and want something new?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, some people have the notion that if they dont see the problem, it doesnt exist.

It's much easier to be ignorant, than confronted with a problem... especially when it's not the best time, for them, or anyone else.

It's the same people that could be witness to a violent crime, but never call the police.

U2@NYC said:

Exactly...i wish i had said it your way 10 posts ago...you all may note that i am here quite often over the last year and have posted very little. I am angry, my family is from Louisiana and have dozens of friends who we still haven't heard from...black/white /hispanic...but i don't need to go on TV to make a blanket statement.
A good friend has a Real Estate company with 1500 agents and 300 of them are still missing...is this still the "right time" to attack racism E?

Jono said:

Exactly...i wish i had said it your way 10 posts ago...you all may note that i am here quite often over the last year and have posted very little. I am angry, my family is from Louisiana and have dozens of friends who we still haven't heard from...black/white /hispanic...but i don't need to go on TV to make a blanket statement.
A good friend has a Real Estate company with 1500 agents and 300 of them are still missing...is this still the "right time" to attack racism E?

Racism is only part of the problem. By the way... the FEMA Director was replaced today.

Elvis said:
Unfortunately, some people have the notion that if they dont see the problem, it doesnt exist.

It's much easier to be ignorant, than confronted with a problem... especially when it's not the best time, for them, or anyone else.

It's the same people that could be witness to a violent crime, but never call the police.

you obviously are not personally attached to this situation...
Hopefully not a sole on this planet thinks racism doesn't exist and we should definitley use this as a severe example...just not NOW!! Let's care first~

Back
Top Bottom