(09-02-2004) McCormick Offers More Comments on New U2 Album - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
McCormick Offers More Comments on New U2 Album

During an interview with WBWC-FM in Cleveland for its annual U2 radio marathon, "I Was Bono's Doppelganger" author and journalist Neil McCormick offered the following quotes on the new, and still as-of-yet untitled, U2 album:

"Like 'All That You Can't Leave Behind,' this record has really defined songs, but [this record] has a more cohesive guitary sound."

"The new record has some very big ballads."

"Bono is singing about matters of life and death."

When asked why he was unable to share more "juicy" album details, McCormick noted that "U2 is a very controlling organization." The interview was briefly interrupted by McCormick's young baby crying in the background.

To read Interference.com's interview with McCormick, visit:
http://www.interference.com/stories/id94838.html

To read Interference.com's review of "I Was Bono's Doppelganger" visit:
http://www.interference.com/stories/id94541.html

Many thanks to caragriff!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Me thinks this album is going to be less and less the "rock album" we were expecting, and more like ATYCLB Part II.

Oh, so as soon as the album is compared to ATYCLB in any small way, that means the whole "rock album" thing is out the window?

McCormick was talking about how the songs are defined as they also are on ATYCLB, that they each have their own identity, not that they sound similar. He even says that the new album is more guitar oriented, which is what we expected.

I'm still confident that this album will be a real rocker, and if the songs each have the same character and uniqueness of ATYCLB, the album will be epic.

You have to excuse the "new fans" fear that the album will be like the last one. They don't know any better...:huh:

true - u2 have re-invent themselves every album - the core of what is great about u2 is always there but the boys are always willing to take new directions/paths with each album - I am especially excited about this new album but then again I have been especially excited about their new albums since AB

I've been a U2 fan for 15 years and I think ATYCLB was their weakest album yet. Most of the album is lame and tame, and tries too hard to be majestic. I really have high hopes for this new one though. As far as each song being unique goes, you could say that about every album since at least Achtung Baby, where every instrument sounds different on each songs(ie individual drum tones and mixes) and every feel on every song is different from the rest.

You can tell that people are gonna moan 'cause he spoke about a few big ballads on the record (we knew that was gonna be the case, just look at some of the song titles we already know). AB has some big ballads on it, doesn't make that any less of a record. We just have to sit tight and see for ourselves.

It'll be a mixed bag as always, as long as Edge does indeed step up on this record I'll be happy. I don't mind the ballads, as long as they don't control the album. If they find the balance of AB I'll be happy. I don't need a record of 11 rock songs. I just want a great U2 record. I was indeed one of those fans disappointed by ATYCLB, I want to hear a more vibrant and up beat record this time around.

Last edited:
Lo-Fi said:
I was indeed one of those fans disappointed by ATYCLB, I want to hear a more vibrant and up beat record this time around.

You see, that kind of comment really blows my mind. All That... was a strongly vibrant and upbeat record in my book. :scratch:
Sorry for your loss Lo-Fi.

Roland of Gilead said:

You see, that kind of comment really blows my mind. All That... was a strongly vibrant and upbeat record in my book. :scratch:

It's just a matter of preference, it just wasn't my U2 record. I know that it's a solid piece of work. But the soundscapes on there weren't suited to my ear. I would like to hear a more amped and plugged in Edge.

Who knows, the new record might be right up my street, but very disappointing to another fan. That's the way U2 records go I guess. Their sound is so ever changing that you can't please everyone. I know that, and I'm cool with that. It's the one record out of their whole collection I've been disappointed with that's not a bad ratio at all.

Roland of Gilead said:

Same here.

I think McCormick only meant the new album will concentrate on the craft of songwriting, only with more guitars. (kind of like Electrical storm)

Keep in mind he heard the album about a year ago, and lots may have changed. Edge said a while ago the album only has a couple - 2 - ballads.

U2 always has big themes, and they always have a mix of paced rock songs, mid tempo and slower songs. This album won't be any different, and if you think U2 will put out 12 The Fly's, you're mistaken.

There will be ballads, there will be rockers, there will be something different..and there will be something totally kickass..... so long as the Edge is dominating force throughout i don't care about much else. Would like to her Adam's bass like on the leaked version of Electrical Storm though.

Look at every album U2 has released. The ballads have always been a big part of the album. (ie: October-October, *UF-Bad*, JT-Running To Standstill, *AB-One*, R&H- All I Want Is You, Pop-Wake Up Dead Man)

The ballads create a sort of contrast, and they also help to make the rockers seem that much bigger.

mobonofo said:
You have to excuse the "new fans" fear that the album will be like the last one. They don't know any better...:huh:

1) What's so bad about the new album sounding like the last album? It's not as if ATYCLB was pure garbage! It won 7 Grammies, produced a sold-out tour, had several hits, sold 12 million world-wide... I think all of that suggests the album was enjoyed quite a bit! I know I liked it immensely. My one complaint was that it lacked a few more "rocking" songs. If U2's next album is analogous to ATYCLB with some ballads (something U2 have ALWAYS had on albums) but with a few more rocking songs, I think I will be in nirvana.

2) If these new fans only know ATYCLB or became fans because of ATYCLB, why would they "fear" another album of similar style? Granted, no one wants to see songs that are almost exactly the same (the one problem with INXS), but if these new fans went and listened to some of U2's back catalog, they'll know this shouldn't be a concern.

In other words, I'm not getting the complaints. Especially since we haven't really heard any clear songs - even snippets - yet (and no, I'm not counting those pseudo-snippets).

mobonofo said:

Yep, you sure know me, I've only been a fan for the past 20 years...went to the JT tour, ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation, have every album, and have met the band once...pretty "new" fan, eh mobonofo?... :huh:

god this ATYCLB or not thing is going to far....lol....it WILL NEVER END!! Its all a matter of preference, I loved the album but it wasnt their best. Anyway, this is all old news what hes saying, heard all those quotes before. Like he said, u2 probably wont let too much out of the bag. But this album is gonna be incredible, doesnt matter how many ballads or rockers are on it.

Zoocoustic said:

Yep, you sure know me, I've only been a fan for the past 20 years...went to the JT tour, ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation, have every album, and have met the band once...pretty "new" fan, eh mobonofo?... :huh:

get a life...

Back
Top Bottom