(08-27-2004) New U2 Song Titles in Q; Tracklisting Revealed? - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
New U2 Song Titles in Q; Tracklisting Revealed?

In an upcoming issue of Q Magazine, six song titles from the still as-yet-untitled U2 album are listed:

Crumbs From Your Table
City of Burning Lights
Man & Woman
Yahweh
Vertigo
Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own

The first three titles on the list are new to U2 album watchers, who have in the past predicted the latter three titles based on quotes from various band members in print and in person meetings with the band and other members of the U2 camp. Other titles rumored to be on the album include: "All Because of You," "Tough" "Miracle Drug" and "Full Metal Jacket/Native Son." If current rumors of the 11-12 track album hold true, the plausible full tracklisting of the new U2 album could very well be:

Crumbs From Your Table
City of Blinding Lights
Man & Woman
Yahweh
Vertigo
Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own
All Because of You
Tough
Miracle Drug
Full Metal Jacket/Native Son
Love, Peace or Else

To view the current and hotly speculated tracklisting, visit Interference.com's New Album Info page: http://www.interference.com/stories/id76122.html

Thank you windylad!

Last edited:
I'm interested in what "Crumbs from Your Table" "Love, Peace or Else" "Miracle Drug" and "Yahweh" say! :wink:

Things are looking better for this new CD everyday.

:hyper:

LOVE RESCUE ME.....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

I love City of Burning Lights for a name. That invokes so much imagery.

I doubt that if those are the actual song names that they'd be in that order. Usually the hardest, rockiest song on an album is number 2 or (less frequently) number 3. I can't imagine U2 doing a harder song than Vertigo, so I'd say Vertigo would be number 2 or 3, not number 5.

As well, if Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is truly a tribute to Bob Hewson, I can't imagine it not being the album closer.

This record is going to kick so much fucking ass it'll be unbelievable.

I've noticed that number five and the closing track are almost always the slow/sad songs and number one is usually fast/upbeat (JT, AB, War, ATYCLB, UF, Zooropa, for example). Also, number seven is almost always one of the best songs on the album. Everything else is a toss-up. Anyone else notice this?

So I bet any tribute(s) to Bono's father will be number five and/or the last track (as DaveC said).

And where did "Miracle Drug" come from? I haven't heard about that one yet.

Last edited:
DaveC said:
I love City of Burning Lights for a name. That invokes so much imagery.

I doubt that if those are the actual song names that they'd be in that order. Usually the hardest, rockiest song on an album is number 2 or (less frequently) number 3. I can't imagine U2 doing a harder song than Vertigo, so I'd say Vertigo would be number 2 or 3, not number 5.

What...? I don't think so. :eyebrow:

Yahweh? Okay, now I'm interested! :D

$100 on "Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own" being one of the few ballads... I certainly get a "Stuck in a Moment"-feeling about that title...

I think the mixing engineers and the band sit down and figure out the way they want the cd to flow. you can take it a number of different directions. for instance rearrange any u2 cd to your liking and the whole package may come across different. its a tough choice.

mkdominatr said:
I think the mixing engineers and the band sit down and figure out the way they want the cd to flow. you can take it a number of different directions. for instance rearrange any u2 cd to your liking and the whole package may come across different. its a tough choice.

"Dear Q,
Almost there, a few mixes left to do and a running order. Of course with 11 songs there are approximately 39 million possible orders. Listening through to each one would take something like 80 lifetimes, but after that would you actually remember your favourite?
Edge
Thurs 1st July '04"

via www.u2log.com

What does "yahweh" mean??????????
Where does it come from?

I think that "miracle drug" has alot to do with bono and africa. And how a single drug can save someones life, but its not happening.
This album is going to truck the world up.

I think the songs have interesting names. This is going to be an interesting album in regards in how it flows throughout the record. This is really making the waiting more interesting now.

Crumbs From Your Table is a great title, it kinda feels like an AB song with that kinda title for some reason, I think that'll be one of the slow songs they've spoke about. I love all this progressive information were getting right now. U2 are so cool at doing this sort of stuff, thye just put you through the ringer before an album release.

My theories

Crumbs From Your Table- well society generally tends to eat whats served to them on their dinnerplate, ie they accept whats happening in the politcal world, dont care dont vote, u2 are prob gonna send forward the message to analyise everything and start caring so we can all change the world for the better like u2.

City of Burning Lights- kinda like where the streets have no name title wise, its just a really cool title

Man & Woman- obviously a reference to fact that they are going back to their roots with boy/girl being on the first album, gotta be a super raw stripped down song, hopefully

Yahweh- learnt this in RE a few yrs back, Gods name or what jews belive it to be and if you say that word to the jews then it affronts them seriosuly so they better not be selling too many copies in jerusalem, or change the title!! (imagine if u went there and said ya wa? if you didnt hear what the said lol)

Vertigo- well it is supposedly gonna be used in sky captain and the world of tomorrow, so vertigo, planes, high up its maybe a title for the movie or a title that was amde then they were like hey a movie with planes letes market this like we did with elevation, sell a few more albums

Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own- kinda like stuck in a moment title, gotta be a moving song with a hefty amount of lyrics, and mebe its saying one person can make a massive difference

well there you go hope you might have found something there of interest, if not , punch me!

all these titles sound amazing, I definetly want to hear "City of Burning Lights" and "Crumbs from your table" beacuse I hadnt even heard of these titles until yesterday. Still, they may have come from other titles we have heard about and its been changed to the new ones. I'm pretty sure "xanax and wine" turned into "miracle drug" but who knows? All I know is that I have never been more pumped up to hear a new album. Didn't a source say that Yewah was "possibly the greatest song u2 have ever recorded?

Interesting titles.... Expect U2's usual mix of religion & politics, especially with the current global situation. A lot has changed since ATYCLB.

"City of Burning Lights" could actually be a hard rocking war song similar to BtBS. The name alone seems to remind me of those "shock & awe" bombing the US did not too long ago. At night, it did look like a city of burning lights. Interesting...

The title "Man & Woman" sounds a little like Boy/Girl. Wonder what comparisons can be made there.

As for the album closing out slowly, "Grace" was a fairly soft ender. Not impossible for this album to end off on "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own", assuming that's a slower more heartfelt song. I think that it might make it to track 4 or 5 though.

"Vertigo"... It's an easy choice for 3.

guys, "Sometimes You Make it On Your Own" is not going to be a slower song because over a year ago in an article Bono played the song for the person interviewing him, and it was described as a rocker to which Bono was dancing too. So although maybe a heartfelt tune about his pops, I dont see it being like "Stuck" Also, a sample of lyrics from the song were printed and it doesnt seem like it would be a softer song

"Crumbs From Your Table"

I wish I had thought of that title...I already feel lyrics of my own brewing.

cookepuss said:
"City of Burning Lights" could actually be a hard rocking war song similar to BtBS. The name alone seems to remind me of those "shock & awe" bombing the US did not too long ago. At night, it did look like a city of burning lights. Interesting...

:hmm: Well, now that you said that I also think "City of Burning Lights" might be about Baghdad, when it was invaded by the United States. Yes, very interesting indeed.

MacPhisto...

I'm not Jewish but I have a friend who is, so I'm kind of winging it here, but here goes...

The word "Yahweh" derives from the Hebrew letters that are the equivalent of YHWH, a spelling of God's Name that is unpronouncable. According to the Kabbala, the Jewish book of Mysticism, that is God's true Name. Which makes sense--why would God want to reveal to Man a "pronouncable" true Name? It would be blasphemous for us to know it; we are not worthy. We are merely His Creation. Many Orthodox students will only write YHWH. (There are thee main "books" in Judiasm: the Torah -the First 5 Books of Moses plus the rest of the OT; the Talmud, the Jewish Book of Law, which was a huge commentary and sort of more contemporary update on the Laws described in Leviticus, that was written after the Jews were kicked out of Jerusalem by the Romans--it was a sort of guidebook for the Jews in Exile; and the Kabbala. Don't know when that was written, sorry. I'm sure Morleigh has given Edge a crash course:))

What Biblical figure the Name was revealed to I forgot, I think it was either Moses or a prophet or someone who dared to ask God what He really looked like, and God covered him in a "cloud of light" and revealed Himself to his face. Whereupon, of course, this blasphemous guy guy fell down dead. Sorry, I haven't read the Kabbala. The "cloud of light" story is somewhere in the OT, though.

In medivial times, only serious students of the Law were even allowed to read the Kabbala; you had to be made of strong spiritual stuff. It was thought to be too dangerous to dabble too deeply in matters that weren't supposed to be open to Man. There's all sorts of playing around with letters and numbers and symbols etc--a lot like "the Da Vinci Code" come to think of it! You just couldn't ask your local rabbi if you wanted to study it; he had to have known you a long time, and decided that you were ready for the REAL stuff . I don;t know if that's true today, anybody can pick up a copy at the local bookstore. But at one time, it was serious stuff.

Sometimes I wonder if the Jews don't have the right idea regarding God's Name. Maybe we Christians claim to be a little too familar with Jesus at times. Our politiicians certainly do--like the current occupant of the White House *COUGH COUGH*. For this reason I fall currently into the category of "reformed squeaky". For me, the only place religion and politics should mix is in a U2 song! If you don't know what a squeaky is, ask Bono on the tour--it's a favorite term of his, you'll get an interesting answer. Even though I'm a Christian, I fall into the category who don't like to say the Name too often. I saw the song title and said, "Why couldn't it be "Eloi", Bono? Edge has the Jewish wife..."

So "Eloi" (pronounced "El-oh-HEE", accent on the last syllable) is the traditional name Jews have always addressed God with. And here's where it REALLY gets interesting! Where have we seen "Eloi" before? What did Jesus say on the cross, in His moment of deepest despair? "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabach thani--My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Which itself was a quote from the Book of Isiah. (Did Jim Caviezel say this in the "Passion? Quick movie buffs! I'm waiting for the DVD.)

So the Bible tells us that not even Jesus Himself, the Son of God, dared utter His Father's true name, even though He must have known it, even in the most "human" moment of His life. Like any good Jew, He used the word "Eloi"(Lord.)

Now here's the debate: one can imagine Bono searching for a way to express his righteous anger at the state of the world at present, whether it be over indeifference to AIDS or Iraq or misplaced global priorities, whatever, a way to express his deepest and angriest prayer he's ever put into a song, something to make his very idol King David in heaven tremble, from his POV. A real "I believe: help Thou my unbelief" moment. A song that makes "Peace on Earth" and that little gem from "Zooropa" seem like wimpy compositions. So what better way than to use a term that not even Jesus dare use?

Then, too, as a theologan of sorts, Bono must have wondered if that is really what happened, or if one of the early Christian followers of Jesus, whoever put wrote those stories, deliberatley changed what he had heard even if firsthand, because he himself, as a former or still practicing Jew, would not want future Christians to know the True Name. Maybe this guy had been at the cross, or was a friend of those who had, and only his belief in Jesus being the Son of God could keep him from being angry at Jesus' blasphemy, if He did say something else; but who knows. You can imagine these sorts of arcane debates running circles in Bono's head. (When you've been a fan for as long as me--I'm 35, been a fan since I was 12, and in case you haven't figured it out, defeenitely more in tune with the spiritual side of the band), you think about these things.

. Did Jesus really dare to utter the Name of God in public in His moment of greatest despair, the moment God abandoned Him, or did he even then stay humble, "Incognito" as it were? Bono is not suffering physically of course!!!--but maybe his spiritual life has never been in greater turmoil. Maybe. Can this be a way of pissing God off? Is the blasphemous idea that maybe Jesus didn't say "Eloi" on the corss but something else, just to piss God off, going through his head? Of course this arcane like I said, I am sure Jesus did nothing of the sort!! But if he had a moment of despair, did he not also have a moment of anger. Did the ather allow Him that grace, in His Mercy.

Um, I think I'd better shut up. I am a newbie, after all.

:wink:

I am so pleased with these titles. So many of ATYCLB's were kind of dull. But "City of Burning Lights" and "Crumbs from Your Table" just kick serious ass. Now I really can't wait...

I'm also wondering now if "Yahweh" (hey, I'll write it) comes up in the lyrics. If it's in the chorus we're in trouble! Or does our Bono chicken out? Grim as this song probably is, lyrics wise, I'm sure he's anticipating a lot of fun debating with fans, if it is sung. It'll be like a litmus test of the fan's faiths. And if it's in the chorus, it'll be interesting live, when Bono can guage from the stage about a whole lotta mass blashemy goin; on, from a squeaky's POV; and this opens up further issues the band hasn't addressed musically since the early 80's, like the politics of mass persuasion. It's the concept that had us shaking our fists in the air while chanting "No war!" (90's fans, you don't know what you missed. You've never experienced SBS when Larry had 3 little white flags attached to his drum kit that waved to the beat, as they were hit.You got the slower, polite, nostagia version. Even at the post 9/11 NYC shows;I was there.) The band played it faster then--much faster, and Larry totally different way of playing that martial beat. You really could have drilled soldiers to it!) How powerful misc or mass media is.

I'm getting SO excited!!! The titles suggest something with an "Unforgettable Fire" feel. If it;s true ther's a song almost9 minutes long on the disc, that'll be like the 8 minute "bad" as well. Since then no u2 song has been that long. "City of Burning Lights" is the sort of dreamy poeticism suggested by that album, though it sounds like it will hark back to the righteous anger of "War" as well.

Maybe it's a "grown up" reply to those albums, from their POV. Thoughnothing can ever replace the righteos anger of youth; for it is free then from despair.

Last edited:
should be interesting if the song goes that way. if it does, it'd be great to drag that out- not mentioning the name 'yahweh' throughout the song. have that frustration build, for whatever reasons, to a point in the song where all is quiet but bono is heard faintly, not even that clearly as the song slows. then all of a sudden edge plays on, just attacking bono full blast for even opening his mouth and dare mentioning the name. bono gets cut off before even finishing the name...thatd be one way to solve that issue.

im getting a feeling this could be an 'until the end of the world' style song. wouldnt you love to hear something that could possibly be in range of 'until/end/world' but more controversial, more angst and edge's guitar, larrys drums playing like an angered god who's been pissed off with humanity's downfalls.

one last point, and i just realized it...'all that you cant leave behind', i feel, really lacked some deep philosophical value. the songs are simple in structure, simple sounding and simple ideas-NOT A BAD THING. its a departure for u2. im sure you can find some if you wanted, but i havent had many discussions from songs off that album other than how they sounded, not their meaning. the album as a whole makes sense, having and bringing with you what you absolutely need, but the songs dont get any deeper than what you hear. anyone care to add to that, prove me wrong then please do. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom