(08-24-2005) Kings Of Leon Discuss Chilling With Bono, New LP - ChartAttack*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Kings Of Leon Discuss Chilling With Bono, New LP

By: ChartAttack.com Staff

There's nothing like expecting a lecture from Bono and not receiving it. According to the Kings Of Leon, who opened for U2 on the beginning leg of their world tour, the supposed Bono Talk is a fable.

"Yeah, there's no talk, really," says KOL guitarist Matthew Followill.

"Well, there's supposed to be a talk," interjects his first cousin, bassist Jared Followill. "Everybody says it, but we didn't get it. I mean, they called us KFC instead of KOL 'cause we have chicken legs." Both men laugh. "But in a funny, cool way. They're the nicest guys."

That may be, but U2 are Irish, have been playing music for decades and are all in their mid-40s. By contrast, the Kings are one cousin (Matthew) and three brothers (Jared, vocalist/rhythm guitarist Caleb and drummer Nathan) from the Southern U.S. who decided to form a band only five years ago. That's not much common ground to go by. As one would expect the band to say, though, the presence of girls made things easier.

"Their daughters were around a lot and they were always hanging out, so they kept it cool 'cause they're around our age," Jared explains. "And anytime Bono would start talking about something, they'd be like, 'Tell them about Adam' and he'd be like, 'Yeah, Adam has this problem with farting' and it'd be like, 'Yes! We don't have to talk politics.' It was awesome."

Though they've released two albums and have a dedicated fan base around the world, the Followills say opening for U2 showed them how to improve. "It definitely makes you a better band, having to play for a big crowd when you're nervous," Matthew says.

"And it takes your songs to a different place," Jared adds. "You play your songs in a small club and it's a certain kind of style and you play it that way and you fucking go into a stadium and it's not like you can be falling over and interacting with the crowd — it's all focused on your fucking songs, so we'd have to play them perfect.

"I think that was a big effect on our next record, touring with U2. I think that the songs are going to be a lot more tight, a lot more crisp, it's going to be a lot more anthemic and arena-ready."

Touring with U2 also changed how the Kings perform their own songs live. To avoid heckling as the opening band, the Followills played 45 minutes of songs without stopping. Jared says they still don't give their audiences any breathing room. "But now we have to do it for like an hour and 20 minutes, so you get a little bit fucking tired so we'll take a little break and tune every once in awhile. Now we've set up so we have two slow songs in a row ["Milk" and "Rememo"] so you just get to fucking chill and smoke a cigarette, have a beer, write some text messages."

After finishing a series of shows in the U.S. and U.K. later this month, the band hope to head into the studio to record their new material. "We don't have any song actually done, it's just tons of ideas," Matthew says. Song titles are still floating around. Jared explains that one in particular "was called 'Matthew' for a little bit" — "So stupid," his cousin interjects — "...because he came up with the guitar part," Jared finishes. "So stupid," Matthew mutters again.

Regardless, the Followills agree on one thing – their sound will consistently evolve from their previous albums.

"The songs may be longer, bigger arrangements and stuff like that," Jared says. "I hate bands that take it to a weird place just to be different. We're not gonna make it weird. I think the next one, the theme of it is just gonna be like fucking fist in the air."

Kings Of Leon will play Pop Montreal in late September.

—Angela Kozak

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2005/08/2410.cfm

FOR SALE: 1 ticket for seating on Adam's side. :faint:

Will consider trade for ticket on Edge's side. :wink:

j/k.

Last edited:
HelloAngel said:
Adam has a problem with farting? :lol: That's a new one!

Actually, there have been a few stories over the years about Adam's gas problems. There was one in the recent Mojo cover story. I don't have the exact quote (I left the magazine at the cottage), but Bono ws telling a story about how he and Clayton went on a road trip across the States in the 80's, and at one point Bono insisted on being let out of the car, somewhere in the middle of nowhere, because he couldn't stand it any more. He said, "Adam has the most gaseous arse in the world!":lol:

LOL...I think there was an ancedote about this in Bill Flanagan's book too. I think his guts are wasted by all the years of alcohol:).

That bit is cool though..Jordan and Eve learn fast. They have inherited Bono's ability to connect with people..and his political acumen, too, it seems:)

I just hope the KoL learn how to play live a lot better. I saw their whole act several times on the tour because I had heard a few of their songs and wanted to learn more about them. Each time, I was disappointed. When I compare them to Snow Patrol, they aren't even close. Snow Patrol was outstanding - I became a huge fan as soon as I heard them! But KoL just screamed and were loud - nothing like the more elegant songs on their album. So if U2 taught them anything, I hope it's how to play live.

sue4u2 said:
Don't believe what you hear.. Don't believe what you see.. :eyebrow:
Oops just launched into song.. again
Sorry :wink:

No implication that KOL is anything other than.. sincere..of course
:|

Wow I just quoted myself.. So what should I do now??
:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom