(08-24-2005) Geldof, Bono 'only musicians' - News24*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To all the parrots parroting eachother, in all fairness in that quote Clapton never says he's against musicians playing gigs for charity. He's not even against musicians taking a soapbox stands perse, just that he has mixed feelings. Which is understandable. Just because a person voicing an opinion is a famous musician does not make it anymore valid then ours, or a politician. Just that its easier for a famous musician to let it all out and be noticed. And lets be fair, most musicians, like everybody else, have no clue what they are talking about. They just get listened to more because they have idolate fans and a media starved for news.
Clapton is clearly old school. And old school says that you should keep true to what you know best. Musicians should make music and not become politicians. If they want to dabble in politics, fine, run for office. There is something to say for that point of view. I would rather not wait 4 years for U2 to release a new album and go on tour because Bono is off to do his political thing. Either do one or the other, just don't do both cause then both will suffer.

Here is the full part of the interview:

Stern: Colleagues like Paul McCartneyhave been seen at live8, you not. Why?
Clapton: They've asked me, too. I don't know if I had agreed when I was here – but I had planned this fishing trip to Iceland for quite a while and had to renege. I had mixed feelings towards live8 and Bono and Bob Geldof. I'm asking myself if musicians should act like politicians. They are olny musicians, where do they take the authority from to hold those speeches?

Stern: At one of the first charity concerts, the „Concert for Bangladesh“ in 1971; you also stood on stage.
Clapton: Yes, but there it was to collect money for a starving country. Today Bono spends a big part of his time to snub world politicians. I've read that Bob Geldof had told the Canadian Prime Minister not to go to the concert if his government will not implement what Geldof wants. How does he come to that? I have great respect for his work and his commitment, but does he really want to be this political leader he is representing? Twenty years ago live aid had this sense of helping, but live8 this year – it was to me like an order.

Yes, this is his opinion. I think you can have another point of you, but it's hard to blame him for what he is thinking about that.

I still think Clapton's comments don't make a lot of sense. If anything Bono spends most of his time hanging out with politicians these days, not snubbing them.

Why dosen't clapton join Bono and Geldof and do something for humanity, instead shooting his mouth off...:(

Rock stars getting involved in politics can be great. The entire fan base of that band gets involved in that kinda stuff. How many us in here would know as much about the horrible stuff going on in African if it wasn't for Bono?

Vincent Vega said:
.... I've read that Bob Geldof had told the Canadian Prime Minister not to go to the concert if his government will not implement what Geldof wants....

Well this might be nit picking but Bob told Martin not to bother with the G8 summit if he wasn't committed to favoring change. I don't know if that sounds better or worse, but I think there is a BIG difference between Claptons interpetations and what was actually said.

Last edited:
Not a smart move by Clapton. I mean his argument makes little to know sense. The likes of Bono and Geldof are doing great work at showing the plight of Africa. They've already raised millions, lowered world debt and opened the minds and hearts of millions. Instead of abusing their power, money and influence, they have put it to good use.

How on earth could Clapton see that as a bad thing?

Vincent Vega said:
There are people saying you can't mix music and politics or sports and politics or whatever, but I think it's bullshit.

Adam on Rattle and Hum DVD. I'm not sure if the quote is 100% right, but vaguely.

God I loved when Adam said that!!!:rockon:

Back
Top Bottom